Dredd and BladeRunner 2049 are the best scifi sequels/reboots of all time

I wished Netflix would've created a Dredd series.  I believe it was the same producer who brought Casstlevania to Netflix was the same guy who had produced the Dredd movie. (he also help produce the R-rated Power Rangers short film).

I even bought the Dredd Blu-ray when they have that bring back Dredd movement to try and support a sequel movie.  Its perfect the type of audience that Netflix wants.

Prometheus was okay but Covenant owns hard. :aitch:

also I'd say these are hardly reboots, they are prequels and they explain a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, kaz said:

Prometheus was okay but Covenant owns hard. :aitch:

Covenant was shit.  It had one good scene (backburster) and everything else was amateur hour.

9 minutes ago, McWicked said:

Covenant was shit.  It had one good scene (backburster) and everything else was amateur hour.

:( 

the backburster was okay, but the chestburster was my fav scene with the little shit.

but everything else was good too. love the two androids it explained so much about the beginning and fassbender's performance. 

Alien 1-3 are not better movies than Covenant. Deal with it. :juggle:  In fact I'd say I prefer Covenant because of David, his character is so well written I love it. :juggle:

2 hours ago, Quad Damage said:

aliens, t2, and fury road shit all over those.

br2049 was hackneyed/uninspired in basically every way and falls under sequels that are a disgrace compared to the original. dredd is just average.

Damn I'm surprised some people didn't like BR2049 this much I thought was up there with the original. 

4 hours ago, Quad Damage said:

aliens, t2, and fury road shit all over those.

br2049 was hackneyed/uninspired in basically every way and falls under sequels that are a disgrace compared to the original. dredd is just average.

I'm talking about movies from recent times. Yes aliens and t2 are great, I look at those as originals even though they are sequels lol.  I forgot about fury road. God tier movie

then ill sum up

-hackneyed uninspired plot that lifts ideas from movies that were themselves inspired by the original blade runner. the original was a trailblazer; 2049 is me too garbage

-dreadful hamfisted dialogue and clunky overbearing exposition.

-gosling is miscast. hologram girl is awful, basically existing to explain plot beats to the audience. leto and the resting bitch face girl are AWFUL villains compared to rutger hauer.

-awful fan service and callbacks from bringing back old, depressed ford, uncanny valley cg rachel, and utterly pointless retirement home gaff.

-production design is entirely too clean and sparse, lacking the grit of the original. also entirely too many scenes taking place in broad daylight.

-the noir style/tone of the original is absent completely, literally one of the defining aspects of the legacy of the original.

-trades vangelis music for generic zimmer score

:mj: 

Edited by Quad Damage
  • Haha 1

Man I just don't see it that way at all.

If anything I saw it as deserving a better reputation than the original. 

Uninspired movie plot that lifted ideas from previous works? That is a complaint most people who don't like something will cough up. The cyberpunk genre has been borrowing and twisting previous ideas for decades now.

I thought the minimal plot was carried genuinely well and they left quite a bit to the viewer to figure out and not shove it to far down our throats.

The visuals and music are some of the most memorable parts of the film and I thoroughly enjoyed the ost, big time.

And i thought all the actors did a great job.

• Thanks 1