Dredd and BladeRunner 2049 are the best scifi sequels/reboots of all time

24 minutes ago, Boss said:

Man I just don't see it that way at all.

If anything I saw it as deserving a better reputation than the original. 

Uninspired movie plot that lifted ideas from previous works? That is a complaint most people who don't like something will cough up. The cyberpunk genre has been borrowing and twisting previous ideas for decades now.

I thought the minimal plot was carried genuinely well and they left quite a bit to the viewer to figure out and not shove it to far down our throats.

The visuals and music are some of the most memorable parts of the film and I thoroughly enjoyed the ost, big time.

And i thought all the actors did a great job.

better than the original is crazy. the og is a visionary piece of work. nothing like it had ever been put to screen before while 2049 just iterates on the past.

it doesnt help that we had just seen 2 years prior a star wars  movie where harrison ford was an absentee father again - its the most bog standard plot hollywood has.

on that topic of fan service, trotting out cg recreations of old characters, and literal video/audio clips from the old movie is perhaps the most inelegant way to do so, putting it firmly in the category of disney star wars sequel-boot.

also i hated the visuals - thought it looked like any other future scifi movie. the noir vibe, omnipresent night, and multicultural (specifically asian) component of the original made for a far more unique setting.

I didn't finish the new blade runner I watched maybe 30min then turned it off. But that wasn't because I didn't like the movie so far.