Did you find your calling in life?

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

Yeah, to be a father and spend as much time with my family as possible. Always found it strange that people define themselves with their work tbh. Work to live not live to work. 

Does it really change you like they say? Not a dad so I can't tell, maybe that's the end goal after all

6 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Yeah, to be a father and spend as much time with my family as possible. Always found it strange that people define themselves with their work tbh. Work to live not live to work. 

it's not really work if you enjoy what you do. 

• Sad 1

no and it makes me depressed too. I do the same boring shit every day.

I want to pick up dog shit at an animal shelter or work at a zoo getting pissed on by birds. 

I want to go to work and be happy and animals make me happy. :happysad: 

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, bhytre said:

What about when you get old and all doors close down? Seems hellish to me :dame: 

I'm slowly gravitating towards a goal, but the importance of possessions as I've gotten older have less importance as I'm discovering.

5 minutes ago, bhytre said:

Does it really change you like they say? Not a dad so I can't tell, maybe that's the end goal after all

Big time. Put everything into perspective and makes you truly realise just how 'pointless' everything else in comparison. 

Plus it gives you the sense that it's not just about you anymore, that the greatest influence you are truly going to have on this world is that of raising your children and hopefully seeing that merit in their lives. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Just now, madmaltese said:

Big time. Put everything into perspective and makes you truly realise just how 'pointless' everything else in comparison. 

Plus it gives you the sense that it's not just about you anymore, that the greatest influence you are truly going to have on this world is that of raising your children and hopefully seeing that merit in their lives. 

that's great man! however, i have never wanted them  (hence the divorce - the ex decided she wanted them), however, i can see why some feel like it's their calling. i actually love being selfish and putting myself first. i have 0 shame about it too (obviously lol). but rock on man! 

2 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

I'm slowly gravitating towards a goal, but the importance of possessions as I've gotten older have less importance as I'm discovering.

yeah material shit is pointless imo definitely feel that right now, or just slaving away for material shit I don't need all that crap

1 minute ago, -GD- said:

it's not really work if you enjoy what you do. 

True. I guess I have just always enjoyed everything outside of work more than work itself lol But I know many ppl that absolutely love their job and are actually excited about it which is great considering it takes up such a large portion of our lives. 

I just don't think it really defines who we are. Like with my friends or people you know well, if they were to completely change jobs it wouldn't change who they are. Whether my best friend is CEO of a giant company or working in some retail job it wouldn't change who he is as a person yet most of the time people are defined by their work. It's the modern idea of success. 

Just now, -GD- said:

that's great man! however, i have never wanted them  (hence the divorce - the ex decided she wanted them), however, i can see why some feel like it's their calling. i actually love being selfish and putting myself first. i have 0 shame about it too (obviously lol). but rock on man! 

Can totally understand and I really don't mean it as a swipe against people who aren't parents or don't want to be, just sharing my perspective. 

I absolutely love how much you own not wanting that and that your actions follow your convictions. Honestly have a lot of respect for you knowing you don't want kids and not having them as opposed to people that have them (who don't want them) and then the children suffer because of it, would've been easy for you to just give in to your wife and give her what she wants and then just not be there in the lives of the kid/s.

So yeah bro, I don't mean it as a negative notion to ppl who feel differently at all, just posting a different perspective because when ppl ask for calling in life they usual refer to work and I just feel differently. 

• Like 1

WGJiJQA_652W_j4cBkrijyrF7zxQeX-KDjXm-O4u

For almost everybody, where you aim your shot is not where your shot will land.

Should always be mindful of that, but as long as you can wake up and you got your health, there's no reason why you should try to aim where you want. You're not going to solve everything in one day. Just try breaking it down into littler objectives and try to solve those one at a time.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Can totally understand and I really don't mean it as a swipe against people who aren't parents or don't want to be, just sharing my perspective. 

I absolutely love how much you own not wanting that and that your actions follow your convictions. Honestly have a lot of respect for you knowing you don't want kids and not having them as opposed to people that have them (who don't want them) and then the children suffer because of it, would've been easy for you to just give in to your wife and give her what she wants and then just not be there in the lives of the kid/s.

So yeah bro, I don't mean it as a negative notion to ppl who feel differently at all, just posting a different perspective because when ppl ask for calling in life they usual refer to work and I just feel differently. 

oh i know you didn't mean it as a swipe, bro. i was just chiming in on my point of view. thanks for compliment btw. i almost did give in, because she was pretty great in every other way. however, i just couldn't sell myself out like that and/or be a father who resents his wife (and maybe the kid) for caving in (she basically gave me an ultimatum and i said "peace").

Edited by -GD-
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, bhytre said:

yeah material shit is pointless imo definitely feel that right now, or just slaving away for material shit I don't need all that crap

I bought a house at 23 in Eastern Canada, acquired a bunch of shit for said house; and then proceeded to stress out about the shit I owned, and the maintenance towards the house. 

I put it on the market after realizing I was so preoccupied with the house I wasn't even going out with friends and meeting women.

Now I travel, and live in a place for 3-4 mos. at a time, and go back to hang out with friends B)