More PS5 Specs rumors :francis:

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

16 GB's of HBM2, I'm more confident in that than I ever was when I first made those assertions. Maybe not both systems but I think one of them will, especially with the reality that AMD already has APU's in the wild with pooled HBM2 and now Stadia is using pooled HBM2. 

Remij thinks I'm crazy but I think I just made a huge bet with the odds stacked against me that has a high probability of actually paying off now. 

Well, you didn't say HBM2, for one.

And no.. it's GDDR6.  I'm TELLING you :reg: 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That actually sounds real

This gen all have the biggest CPU jump since PS2 to PS3. Looking at the GPU only is foolish.

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I did say HBM because I thought HBM2 would be too cost prohibitive, now I don't think it is so I'm doubling down. 

I don't even care, because it's not going to be any HBM.. just like I told you way back when.

30 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Looks legit.

With Sony's ideology with rendering it doesn't seem far off. If they do checkerboarding just like they do now near 10 Teraflops would grant them a massive amount of room to work around next-gen rendering, also they would have better memory and CPU to work with. 

26 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

With Sony's ideology with rendering it doesn't seem far off. If they do checkerboarding just like they do now near 10 Teraflops would grant them a massive amount of room to work around next-gen rendering, also they would have better memory and CPU to work with. 

Nope, I think these are "safe" numbers for the most part.

2 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

After the Stadia specs, I think any rumour that goes above 16 gigs of RAM needs to be written off a fake.

Nah.  I'd like to think that Sony's learned their lesson from what could happen by being stingy with RAM.. considering they almost blew the PS4 generation with regards to it.  It's entirely possible they could have 20-24GB total RAM..for PS5 in either 16+4, or 20+4 configurations.  I'm getting more and more certain that there will be separate memory pools for OS and games.  So that's what I think they will do.

The worst thing for Sony would be to have 16GB of RAM and then MS comes with 24GB and eats the cost.  Considering that they'll probably launch really close together.  If Sony doesn't have the install base to force developers to target their minimum spec, then they'd be in trouble.

5 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Nah.  I'd like to think that Sony's learned their lesson from what could happen by being stingy with RAM.. considering they almost blew the PS4 generation with regards to it.  It's entirely possible they could have 20-24GB total RAM..for PS5 in either 16+4, or 20+4 configurations.  I'm getting more and more certain that there will be separate memory pools for OS and games.  So that's what I think they will do.

The worst thing for Sony would be to have 16GB of RAM and then MS comes with 24GB and eats the cost.  Considering that they'll probably launch really close together.  If Sony doesn't have the install base to force developers to target their minimum spec, then they'd be in trouble.

Well it's hard to predict but we have to consider the low spec Lockhart will probably dictate the amount of RAM Anaconda will have. I doubt there will be a difference outside of GPU and RAM speed between the two.

Going for more RAM than PS5 isn't worth it. Since it makes it hard to price reduce, and it won't really be taken advantage off. See X's 4 gig RAM advantage that means nothing in real world terms. Devs can't even be assed to use higher ress textures.

Edited by Team 2019
3 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Well it's hard to predict but we have to consider the low spec Lockhart will probably dictate the amount of RAM Anaconda will have. I doubt there will be a difference outside of GPU and RAM speed between the two.

Going for more RAM than PS5 isn't worth it. Since it makes it hard to price reduce, and it won't really be taken advantage off. See X's 4 gig RAM advantage that means nothing in real world terms. Devs can't even be assed to use higher ress textures.

This is different because these are base consoles.  I agree that 4GB of RAM probably isn't going to make any difference... but 8GB of RAM would.  Some devs would not be pleased with that... and many games would suffer.  RAM will be especially important next gen.  That CPU deserves a nice chunk of memory to create new experiences not possible before.  Memory is the most important aspect to get right.

And you're wrong in your assumption that MS is going to do X based off what Sony is doing...  They're doing their own thing for what they think they need for the next generation.

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

This is different because these are base consoles.  I agree that 4GB of RAM probably isn't going to make any difference... but 8GB of RAM would.  Some devs would not be pleased with that... and many games would suffer.  RAM will be especially important next gen.  That CPU deserves a nice chunk of memory to create new experiences not possible before.  Memory is the most important aspect to get right.

And you're wrong in your assumption that MS is going to do X based off what Sony is doing...  They're doing their own thing for what they think they need for the next generation.

Brad Sams said Anaconda's design choices are to match the PS5 specwise. So it doesn't seem they are going to do something like give it 8 more gigs of RAM. Probability just higher clockspeeds and more expensive cooling of basically the same hardware, if they decide to price it higher.

Edited by Team 2019

New PS5 BC patent.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=2&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1="SONY+INTERACTIVE+ENTERTAINMENT+AMERICA+LLC"&OS="SONY+INTERACTIVE+ENTERTAINMENT+AMERICA+LLC"&RS="SONY+INTERACTIVE+ENTERTAINMENT+AMERICA+LLC"

I think BC for all PS consoles might happen with PS5 because they need universal hardware to put into their streaming service. That's the main reason I'm a believer PS3 BC is on the table.

It's a bit weird to read the tech internet crowd though, people are literally willing to denounce a whole gen based on 1-2 teraflops below expectations. Stuff that's like 10-15 percent difference, which will be borderline a non factor. I feel a lot of these tech people are a bit out of touch with the market, nevermind reality of console design .

Say PS5 ends up 10tflops instead of say 12tflops, and that's enough of reason not to get a console. Your perception of console expectations is a bit fucked, and you should just go PC for multiplats.

Edited by Team 2019
4 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

It's a bit weird to read the tech internet crowd though, people are literally willing to denounce a whole gen based on 1-2 teraflops below expectations. Stuff that's like 10-15 percent difference, which will be borderline a non factor. I feel a lot of these tech people are a bit out of touch with the market, nevermind reality of console design .

Say PS5 ends up 10tflops instead of say 12tflops, and that's enough of reason not to get a console. Your perception of console expectations is a bit fucked, and you should just go PC for multiplats.

It all depends on what your target is, you have to think of things in terms of thresholds. The Vega 56 and 64 are not wildly separate from each other however they have different thresholds. 

The Vega 64 is a basically guaranteed 60+ FPS in games at 1440p with Ultra settings, the Vega 56 doesn't quite reach this capability. The Vega 64 is basically guaranteed 30+ FPS in games at 4K with Ultra settings, the Vega 56 doesn't quite reach this capability. 

They sit relatively close to each other but more often than not one sits on one side of this line and the other sits just below it on the other side.