Ex Valve employee admits that Steam was killing PC gaming, and that Epic is saving it

7 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

lol

Which makes the developer have to always have the game on sale. Which means it functions as a permanent price drop. Gee I wonder if I had brought that up.

Guess you couldn't put 2 and 2 together there and thought you had found a clever contradiction.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He'd probably start an endless argument with the straitjacket, saying how racist it is for constraining him like that while being white 

PosC gaming.  

Steam pushed PC gaming prices to the level of console gaming prices.   Remember when a brand new, retail package PC game was $10 cheaper than the console version?   On the flip sid

15 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Which makes the developer have to always have the game on sale. Which means it functions as a permanent price drop. Gee I wonder if I had brought that up.

Guess you couldn't put 2 and 2 together there and thought you had found a clever contradiction.

It is a contradiction. Everything that applies to Valve applies to the publisher/developer and vice versa, but you're coming to two different conclusions for the different parties.

Sales are either bad because they generate less revenue long term, in which case Valve would have no incentive to have them, or they're good and everybody benefits from the increased revenue.

18 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

It is a contradiction. Everything that applies to Valve applies to the publisher/developer and vice versa, but you're coming to two different conclusions for the different parties.

Sales are either bad because they generate less revenue long term, in which case Valve would have no incentive to have them, or they're good and everybody benefits from the increased revenue.

No, please follow with me, this shouldn't be too hard to understand.

This becomes a never-ending state of "sales" on the Steam store for products, specifically because Valve does not want a slow down in transactions.

Like I said............you already read this phrase before: "race to the bottom."

Valve tries to have more transactions by allowing user-created DLC. Valve tries to have more transactions by allowing unfinished games being sold in early access.

It ends up becoming like a clothing store's business model (if you're not from America, you may not know stores like Kohls or Macy's). They ALWAYS have sales.

The reason why they always have sales is because the "Regular Price" is not actually the real price, its inflated so that the "Sales Price" looks like a deal and gets people through the door.  Its a proven sales tactic.

This, however, does not translate well to video games, because the "Regular Price" of $60 for a AA-AAA video game is not an artificially inflated price. It is its real MSRP price (made much more necessary by the cut taken by the retailer).

Valve has created an environment where major developers who try to sell $60 are considered out of the norm. They're forced to put their games on sale as quickly as possible.

Valve doesn't care if the shelf life of a video game is cut short...........THEY'RE THE RETAILER, they got more games coming in. Hell, they got more unfinished games coming in. You seem to think that Valve keeping store pages to games that don't sell much anymore is costing Valve. Its not. They're paying for the server space and bandwidth no matter what.

Edited by jehurey

It’s insane that valve is getting nearly a 3rd of every game’s profits even though they do nothing but host a store page for it. And because of it’s popularity devs have no choice but to take a hit to ensure as many people as possible are exposed to their games. I’m glad EPIC had the initiative and balls to challenge them on that front.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

It’s insane that valve is getting nearly a 3rd of every game’s profits even though they do nothing but host a store page for it. And because of it’s popularity devs have no choice but to take a hit to ensure as many people as possible are exposed to their games. I’m glad EPIC had the initiative and balls to challenge them on that front.

They do great things with f2p games. I won't play dota 2 on the epic bullshit. lol I don't give a shit, gaben is my hero. 

11 minutes ago, kaz said:

please someone drop a straight jacked for jehurey. He's fucking insane. 

He'd probably start an endless argument with the straitjacket, saying how racist it is for constraining him like that while being white :trump2:

Edited by bhytre
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

fuck off twinbitch aren't you late for school?

5 hours ago, jehurey said:

Consumers begin to view all games as being the same value, and cheap indie games being sold at $3.99, $5.99, $9.99 ends up dragging down AA and AAA-production games.

And that, children, is why AAA game budgets continue to balloon with Halo Infinite being rumored to have a budget of half a billion. Wait, what...?

Hold on.

Take two. And that children is why Nintendo games go on sale shortly after release. Wait, oh. Huh.

Take three. 

Well you see core gamers think Flappy Bird and RDR2 are the same quality because of Valve. *adjusts aluminum foil pussy hat*

If anyone needs to kill some time by going on the Sperg-Go-Round, ask Jerry to prove this batshit claim.

nobody stays on top forever. Epic waving their big dick in Steams face was going to happen at some point. Be it Epic or someone else. 

What would be really interesting is to see if MS, Ninny or Sony went to an 88/12 split. 

5 minutes ago, Saucer said:

And that, children, is why AAA game budgets continue to balloon with Halo Infinite being rumored to have a budget of half a billion. Wait, what...?

Hold on.

Take two. And that children is why Nintendo games go on sale shortly after release. Wait, oh. Huh.

Take three. 

Well you see core gamers think Flappy Bird and RDR2 are the same quality because of Valve. *adjusts aluminum foil pussy hat*

If anyone needs to kill some time by going on the Sperg-Go-Round, ask Jerry to prove this batshit claim.

maybe you should just write like a normal person without the melodrama effect you faggot

1 minute ago, JONBpc said:

nobody stays on top forever. Epic waving their big dick in Steams face was going to happen at some point. Be it Epic or someone else. 

What would be really interesting is to see if MS, Ninny or Sony went to an 88/12 split. 

nobody cares. if it's necessary valve will give in but ultimately nothing changes. 

2 minutes ago, kaz said:

nobody cares. if it's necessary valve will give in but ultimately nothing changes. 

And Gabe will lose 100 pounds. lol

Fuck Steam, Dateline NBC of gaming

13 minutes ago, Saucer said:

Hold on.

Take three. 

I love it when you forgot to read something in my first post that causes your post to completely backfire:

9 hours ago, jehurey said:

Steam pushed PC gaming prices to the level of console gaming prices.

Remember when a brand new, retail package PC game was $10 cheaper than the console version?

On the flip side, Steam normalized the act of putting games on sale during certain points of the year, so this actually trained consumers to just not buy the game at full price and "wait for the Steam Sale"

From Valve's perspective, they actually make more money from special "sales" because it increases the amount of purchases made on the steam store from consumers. Which means they get their cut. The increased amount of purchases more than offsets the lower purchase price. It makes no difference on Valve's back-end, because they still have to pay for the server space and bandwidth anyway.

But from the developer's perspective, they're fucked. Unless their game is wicked hot and GoTY material, its not going to sell very fast at $60 at launch. That means PC users are waiting for it to go on sale. That means less money, and Valve is taking 30% on top of that.

Valve had this coming.

That was easy. Next.

3 hours ago, jehurey said:

I love it when you forgot to read something in my first post that causes your post to completely backfire:

That was easy. Next.

9 hours ago, jehurey said:

Consumers begin to view all games as being the same value, and cheap indie games being sold at $3.99, $5.99, $9.99 ends up dragging down AA and AAA-production games.

Yeah that was easy. 

This quote is another gem:

3 hours ago, jehurey said:

Unless their game is wicked hot and GoTY material, its not going to sell very fast at $60 at launch.

Madden and CoD are annual GotY material. Also what does wicked hot mean if not a measure of how fast it's selling, so hey did you know that only fast selling games sell fast? Pithy. 

10 hours ago, Saucer said:

Yeah that was easy. 

LOL, those two words are the best you can do to try and debunk the extremely long posts I have typed.

Even you know that's weak because you felt you needed to come back with a second post.

10 hours ago, Saucer said:

This quote is another gem:

Madden and CoD are annual GotY material. Also what does wicked hot mean if not a measure of how fast it's selling, so hey did you know that only fast selling games sell fast? Pithy. 

Thanks for specifically using Madden and CoD.

Because we're talking about PC gaming, neither of those two franchises sell remotely well on the PC, they mostly sell on console.

Good job there, chief!:drake:

Edited by jehurey
13 hours ago, jehurey said:

LOL, those two words are the best you can do to try and debunk the extremely long posts I have typed.

Even you know that's weak because you felt you needed to come back with a second post.

Thanks for specifically using Madden and CoD.

Because we're talking about PC gaming, neither of those two franchises sell remotely well on the PC, they mostly sell on console.

Good job there, chief!:drake:

When I said "consumers begin to view all games as being the same value" I didn't mean all games and I didn't mean all consumers.

:trump2: