Hellblade Switch/PS4 comparison vid + first 25 mins of gameplay on Switch

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hellblade: Resolution's Sacrifice  

Sheep locking threads now. That's a real good look... For Switch™.  

The Switch is great for many games....this is not one of them. So much of this game relies on factors that are quite obviously very lacking in this version. Would be a disservice to the game.

Posted Images

On 2019-04-10 at 5:40 PM, Nya` said:

The cut-scenes aren't even rendered in game, they're videos lol :lawl:

I also found out that a lot of her visions on every version are FMV played over the scene. Anything where she recalls talking to people.

:dame:

24 minutes ago, Nya` said:

The analysis of this game is going to be hilarious :lawl:

My prediction.. Docked - Dynamic res that tops out at 720p...solid 30fps with reduced effects and such. 

This is impressive for the Switch given that the original game is Dynamic res 900p @ 30fps on base XB1. 

Edited by Goukosan
3 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

I also found out that a lot of her visions on every version are FMV played over the scene. Anything where she recalls talking to people.

:dame:

I call total bullshit on that, there's no scene transitions outside of Switch.

2 minutes ago, Nya` said:

I call total bullshit on that, there's no scene transitions outside of Switch.

Those are what they're saying on reset era when they went back and played it to compare 

on Switch its more noticeable because of the reduced assets during gameplay. 

21 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Those are what they're saying on reset era when they went back and played it to compare 

on Switch its more noticeable because of the reduced assets during gameplay. 

I'm literally looking at these things right now, I've pulled up videos of multiple sequences, it's not happening. It's all real time. There's not one inkling of FMV to real time transition. 

You can enter photomode during all of them and move the camera around, they match the chosen render resolution which can be changed on the fly, they match the framerate you have selected, when you exit photomode certain assets like foliage reload into the scene as it's rendering in real time...

They're not FMV's, but they are on Switch. The amount of damage control to try and bring that piece of shit port into parallel with other versions of the game is pathetic. 

Edited by Nya`
18 minutes ago, Nya` said:

When docked, the game employs a dynamic resolution that has a maximum of 720p and a minimum of around 576p. The same 720p floor applies to portable mode, though it can dip to 400p

:lawl:

Just as I expected..... impressive for the Switch :bate:

4 hours ago, Goukosan said:

My prediction.. Docked - Dynamic res that tops out at 720p...solid 30fps with reduced effects and such. 

This is impressive for the Switch given that the original game is Dynamic res 900p @ 30fps on base XB1. 

Digital Foundry-

"Even we had to do a double-take with this one! Just how did developer GLOC manage to make Hellblade on Switch look so close to the PS4 version of the game? John and Rich - with an assist from Tom - get to grips with the port and how it manages to deliver its sometimes remarkable visuals."

On 2019-04-10 at 9:06 PM, lynux3 said:

Impressive? You're fuckin' delusional. :tom: 

I guess DF are delusional too.... they think it's impressive for the Switch :cmpunk1:

"Even we had to do a double-take with this one! Just how did developer GLOC manage to make Hellblade on Switch look so close to the PS4 version of the game? John and Rich - with an assist from Tom - get to grips with the port and how it manages to deliver its sometimes remarkable visuals."

Just now, Goukosan said:

I guess DF are delusional too.... they think it's impressive for the Switch 

"Even we had to do a double-take with this one! Just how did developer GLOC manage to make Hellblade on Switch look so close to the PS4 version of the game? John and Rich - with an assist from Tom - get to grips with the port and how it manages to deliver its sometimes remarkable visuals."

:kaz: 

5 hours ago, Nya` said:

I'm literally looking at these things right now, I've pulled up videos of multiple sequences, it's not happening. It's all real time. There's not one inkling of FMV to real time transition. 

You can enter photomode during all of them and move the camera around, they match the chosen render resolution which can be changed on the fly, they match the framerate you have selected, when you exit photomode certain assets like foliage reload into the scene as it's rendering in real time...

They're not FMV's, but they are on Switch. The amount of damage control to try and bring that piece of shit port into parallel with other versions of the game is pathetic. 

They're referring to scenes where Senua is recalling memories.  For example, the character Druth, when you see him in Senua's vision, it's actually a post processed video of a real person, not a 3d model.

That's pretty much the case for any character that isn't Senua, who she recalls.. and yes, it's like that for every version of the game.  Clever use of resources.

Just now, Remij_ said:

They're referring to scenes where Senua is recalling memories.  For example, the character Druth, when you see him in Senua's vision, it's actually a post processed video of a real person, not a 3d model.

That's pretty much the case for any character that isn't Senua, who she recalls.. and yes, it's like that for every version of the game.  Clever use of resources.

Exactly. 

Except on Switch... they took it further and did it for all cut scenes. 

DF also said, the Switch FMV is based on the Switch models and assets.... its interesting that they didn't just used a recording of the PS4 version or something. 

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

Exactly. 

Except on Switch... they took it further and did it for all cut scenes. 

DF also said, the Switch FMV is based on the Switch models and assets.... its interesting that they didn't just used a recording of the PS4 version or something. 

It would have been too noticeable.  Not only the resolution, but the lighting as well, it's quite different so it would have been more jarring.  Even as it is, it's still noticeably higher res than the actual in game graphics.. but it totally makes sense to do it that way.  From the footage I've seen, sometimes it blends in quite well, and others it camera cuts to in game and looks a little awkward for a bit.

Still pretty interesting... and yea, I think it's impressive given the hardware.

12 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

DF - Impressive for the Switch :cmpunk1:

It looks like shit. Digital Foundry thinking it "sometimes" looks good doesn't validate anything. :tom: Impressive port though. :dame:

• Uses TAA to clean up jagged edges but further blurs the already extremely low resolution
  • 30 FPS which can drop into the low 20's with horrible frame pacing (think FromSoftware bad)
  • Low resolution textures
  • Reduced foliage
  • Reduced environmental assets
  • Reduced environmental geometry
  • Reduced reflections
  • Reduced shadows
  • Removed ambient occlusion
  • Reduced LoD on distant objects and draw in
  • FMV's in place of real time cutscenes
  • Possible audio glitches causing cutting in and out

:rofls:

Edited by lynux3