[S8 EPISODE 6] Game of Thrones final season thread (dedicated to cubeaholic) OPEN SPOILERS NOW DON'T COME IN IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT

Good setup episode. Got all the big reunions done and touched on basically every story. Some of the stuff was a bit cheesy (warm your queen or whatever) but to be expected at this point. 

Brans a fuckin weirdo. 

Really interested in seeing how this plays out in the book, if it ever does. Ain’t no way it’d just be back to back reunions like that, the pacing would be much different if the same stuff even happened. 

Really makes me wonder why they we’re jn such a rush to get the series done with. They could easily have stretched this out to 9 or even 10 seasons if they kept similar pacing to the first few seasons. Maybe they just didn’t have the desire to write so much material without the blueprint there/didn’t think they’d be as capable of telling a slower paced more intricate story. 

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"You will never walk again, Bran."   You couldn't ask for a better person to sit on the Iron Throne than a paraplegic.  

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Vini said:

I've said this before but I think they're treating these past 2 seasons as a third act of a film. Ramped up

I agree that’s what they’re doing but I still think it’s more because they don’t have source material to go off of so they’re getting straight to the main points as opposed to the more intricate politics and character development. I can’t blame them, it would be impossible to compare to the standards George set for those areas. Still though, I think if GRRM had gotten the books out in time we’d be looking at 10 seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Casual said:

I agree that’s what they’re doing but I still think it’s more because they don’t have source material to go off of so they’re getting straight to the main points as opposed to the more intricate politics and character development. I can’t blame them, it would be impossible to compare to the standards George set for those areas. Still though, I think if GRRM had gotten the books out in time we’d be looking at 10 seasons. 

Isn't he still a screen writer for the show?

Just now, Cookester15 said:

Isn't he still a screen writer for the show?

Nah. He never really has been. He has written one or two episodes in most (all?) seasons. But that’s about it. Beyond that he has given them an outline of the main events remaining beyond the first 5 books. But that’s at a very high level. 

The part of the show that is actually rooted in the books is a lot different than the part that isn’t as a result. I mean if you go back to s1-3 it barely deviates from what’s written in the book. Season 1 dialogue is basically a copy paste job. 

Even if george did write for the show it wouldn’t make much of a difference. He can’t write fast enough anyways lol, the schedule doesn’t allow for him to scrap and rewrite the material 100 times. And 6 episodes wouldn’t be enough for him to tell the story his way anyhow. 

Tbh he probably doesn’t mind cause he knows people will still have good reason to read the books when they come out now. I can see the ending being the same, but the more i see the less I believe the path to get there will be anything similar. 

8 hours ago, Casual said:

Good setup episode. Got all the big reunions done and touched on basically every story. Some of the stuff was a bit cheesy (warm your queen or whatever) but to be expected at this point. 

Brans a fuckin weirdo. 

Really interested in seeing how this plays out in the book, if it ever does. Ain’t no way it’d just be back to back reunions like that, the pacing would be much different if the same stuff even happened. 

Really makes me wonder why they we’re jn such a rush to get the series done with. They could easily have stretched this out to 9 or even 10 seasons if they kept similar pacing to the first few seasons. Maybe they just didn’t have the desire to write so much material without the blueprint there/didn’t think they’d be as capable of telling a slower paced more intricate story. 

The pacing was way quicker in the first season IMO, it was just better executed

I rewatched it and was surprised how much stuff goes down, but the pacing was so on point it never felt

like any scene went too fast or overstayed sits welcome.

I haven’t read the books, but after the filler of season 5, viewers wanted things to speed up. 

Also, I’m glad the show is ending, because it’s better for it to conclude on a strong note. Also, the actors probably want to do other projects. 8 seasons is quite a lot.

Edited by -GD-
1 hour ago, Voidler said:

The pacing was way quicker in the first season IMO, it was just better executed

I rewatched it and was surprised how much stuff goes down, but the pacing was so on point it never felt

like any scene went too fast or overstayed sits welcome.

Yeah you're probably right. The first few seasons were super dense in terms of content. I guess it just feels like they're rushing through because every scene has to end with some bang (even if a lot of them fall flat). There's no time for developing the individual story points, they just get straight to the point.

A good example to me is the scene with Bronn and Qyburn. I feel like that's something that would have developed subtly over a few scenes/episodes in season 1 or 2. Now they're just like fuck it, straight to the point. 

Though that specific one might be a result of the actor/actress for Cersei and Bronn apparently hating each other and refusing to be in the same room. 

Edited by Casual
26 minutes ago, -GD- said:

I haven’t read the books, but after the filler of season 5, viewers wanted things to speed up. 

Also, I’m glad the show is ending, because it’s better for it to conclude on a strong note. Also, the actors probably want to do other projects. 8 seasons is quite a lot.

Yeah 100%. I still think this is the best direction for the show to go, Season 5 showed they really just don't have the chops to write a story with similar pacing to the first few seasons when they have no source material to go off of. So going the action route makes sense.

You're probably right about the actors too. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Casual said:

Also sad to see that Ghost and the Golden Companies Elephants seem to have become the victims of the 5 minutes of Jon and Cersie pointlessly riding dragons budget. 

That scene wasn't pointless.  Only Targarians can ride dragons.  So the fact that Jon rode it and people in the north saw plus Denarys saw.... will make the news that Jon is also a Targarian more believable to the characters. 

6 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

That scene wasn't pointless.  Only Targarians can ride dragons.  So the fact that Jon rode it and people in the north saw plus Denarys saw.... will make the news that Jon is also a Targarian more believable to the characters. 

It was pointlessly long I meant. Could have been like one minute and saved that CGI budget.

They also could have chosen a better moment tbh. Like you could have avoided that, then next episode Jon tells Dany what Sam told him, Dany refuses to believe him. The white walkers show up and they're losing the battle, all of a sudden Jon mounts the second dragon and turns the tide, Dany is convinced.

I guess we'll see...Dany isn't going to believe it regardless imo. She's stubborn and power hungry, she's not just gonna accept that Jon is a Targ and him riding the dragon in episode 1 isn't going to change that. In her mind she'll just chalk it up to the dragon having trusted Jon because it saw how much she loves him. 

15 minutes ago, Casual said:

It was pointlessly long I meant. Could have been like one minute and saved that CGI budget.

They also could have chosen a better moment tbh. Like you could have avoided that, then next episode Jon tells Dany what Sam told him, Dany refuses to believe him. The white walkers show up and they're losing the battle, all of a sudden Jon mounts the second dragon and turns the tide, Dany is convinced.

I guess we'll see...Dany isn't going to believe it regardless imo. She's stubborn and power hungry, she's not just gonna accept that Jon is a Targ and him riding the dragon in episode 1 isn't going to change that. In her mind she'll just chalk it up to the dragon having trusted Jon because it saw how much she loves him. 

Nah it was fine and in episode 1 so they got it out the way. 

I think the dragon part was supposed to be special - a private, touching moment between Jon and Dany. For the first time, they are only surrounded by beauty and love - only to have this magical moment tainted, after jon learns  the truth of his bloodline. It was a necessary contrast to make the reveal that much more of a gut punch. Besides, the female viewers loved it (I watched it with several women last night and they were in awe lol). 

• Teh_Diplomat changed the title to [S8 EPISODE 6] Game of Thrones final season thread (dedicated to cubeaholic) OPEN SPOILERS NOW DON'T COME IN IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT
  • madmaltese★ locked this topic