[S8 EPISODE 6] Game of Thrones final season thread (dedicated to cubeaholic) OPEN SPOILERS NOW DON'T COME IN IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"You will never walk again, Bran."   You couldn't ask for a better person to sit on the Iron Throne than a paraplegic.  

Posted Images

One of my favorite moments was the Dothraki getting fucking annihilated after that hype moment where all their swords get lit. That sense of oh shit this is bad was just great. The atmosphere over the whole thing was fantastic and really caught the sense of dread that the dead and the WW should have. I’m surprised more characters didn’t die either. Hardhome was better. 

Edited by Ike
10 hours ago, madmaltese said:

I am a giant fan of the show but you are crazy if you think all that's missing is the clever dialogue.

The whole intrigue elements of the show and cleverness of the characters as been dwindled down massively and that has been replaced with giants spectacles. Which is fine. Tv shows are visual set pieces so it works for the medium while books require a lot more.

Tyrion went from one of the smartest characters to plain dumb.

Apparently 'Sansa is the smartest person I know' now..........lol

Dany is legit retarded.

The show went from balls to kill off anyone at any moment to ppl complaining not enough ppl are dead since end of book material.

Not even gonna go into Euron and how they've had to 'develop' him as opposed to what he is meant to be in the books. 

The show changed from S5 onwards. I'm still very happy with it's direction, the epic eps since the end of S5 have been some of my fav TV show moments ever but be real.

I disagree I think the show runners made the decision to make the third act full of spectacle and it's been fuckin great

We have yet to see how it all ends and there's no guarantee that the ending will be happy or full of fan service. We'll see

Also the great war not being so great and the long winter not being so long is part of the surprise for me. They wrapped it all up in one episode, turns out the Night King was a red herring the whole time. 

I'm fine with that. Where does it go now? I'm more intrigued by the living than the dead

Edited by Vini
17 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

God this score is just amazing :whew:

It’s on iTunes and I’ve had it on repeat most of today. I like Light of the Seven just a bit more but damn if he’s not one talented ass composer. :bow: 

8 hours ago, Vini said:

I disagree I think the show runners made the decision to make the third act full of spectacle and it's been fuckin great

We have yet to see how it all ends and there's no guarantee that the ending will be happy or full of fan service. We'll see

Also the great war not being so great and the long winter not being so long is part of the surprise for me. They wrapped it all up in one episode, turns out the Night King was a red herring the whole time. 

I'm fine with that. Where does it go now? I'm more intrigued by the living than the dead

None of that really has anything to do with what I was saying or your initial claim that the only thing that's changed is less clever dialogue.

I'm more than happy with the events of The Long Night and am going to reserve all judgement till the end.

I have no problem with it becoming a spectacle, I'm loving it and it's a hella fun experience. But there quite clearly has been big drop in writing quality, especially when it comes to the characters. In fact since the end of S5 there really has only been a single GoT style deception/political style episode (the littlefinger ep at winterfell) which is what GoT was all originally about. 

There's nothing wrong with enjoying what the show is now and yet admitting it's dropped quality in other aspects.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

None of that really has anything to do with what I was saying or your initial claim that the only thing that's changed is less clever dialogue.

I'm more than happy with the events of The Long Night and am going to reserve all judgement till the end.

I have no problem with it becoming a spectacle, I'm loving it and it's a hella fun experience. But there quite clearly has been big drop in writing quality, especially when it comes to the characters. In fact since the end of S5 there really has only been a single GoT style deception/political style episode (the littlefinger ep at winterfell) which is what GoT was all originally about. 

There's nothing wrong with enjoying what the show is now and yet admitting it's dropped quality in other aspects.

I liked most of the episode.. but I simply don't like how they ended it.  MAYBE they'll answer some shit in the next ep, so I'll hold off saying it's ruined lmao.. but still.

I simply can't believe that they expect us to believe that Arya was interrogating Gendry about aspects of the WW's to learn how they move, act, smell, ect... presumably to "become" one at some point... and then during the battle, she fights some... then she's literally hiding for 10-15 minutes from them seemingly forgetting that she could mimic one... and then Melisandre simply reminds her that she can become one...

No.. no fucking way.

That scene with Melisandre was not to confirm to people that she COULD mimic a white walker... it was to confirm to Arya that she was the one who was meant to kill the Night King.  She gave her the purpose to get to where Bran was so she could kill him.  

I stand by the fact that how they presented her flying in from behind out of nowhere was stupid as fuck.  They should have done the scene way differently.

I'm most certainly NOT against Arya killing the NK.. In fact, she's the right person to do it... but it would have been much better if for example, Jon would have made it to Bran and Theon.. as well as a couple of the others like Jamie, and then when the NK came, him and his generals had a battle with Jon, Theon, Jamie, and the rest as they fought to protect Bran.  At some point we see Arya get there, then in the chaos, we lose track of her.  Jamie and Theon die fighting the generals, Jon continues fighting with the NK until he's literally right beside Bran, Bran comes to.. Jon looks at him in a sorry way disappointed that he couldn't protect him.. Bran looks over, and just as the NK is ready to kill Jon, one of the generals comes up and stabs him from behind in the heart.. then with the camera centered on him, the NK shatters, and Arya is standing behind him like a fucking badass.

/fanfic

:whew: 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I liked most of the episode.. but I simply don't like how they ended it.  MAYBE they'll answer some shit in the next ep, so I'll hold off saying it's ruined lmao.. but still.

I simply can't believe that they expect us to believe that Arya was interrogating Gendry about aspects of the WW's to learn how they move, act, smell, ect... presumably to "become" one at some point... and then during the battle, she fights some... then she's literally hiding for 10-15 minutes from them seemingly forgetting that she could mimic one... and then Melisandre simply reminds her that she can become one...

No.. no fucking way.

That scene with Melisandre was not to confirm to people that she COULD mimic a white walker... it was to confirm to Arya that she was the one who was meant to kill the Night King.  She gave her the purpose to get to where Bran was so she could kill him.  

I stand by the fact that how they presented her flying in from behind out of nowhere was stupid as fuck.  They should have done the scene way differently.

I'm most certainly NOT against Arya killing the NK.. In fact, she's the right person to do it... but it would have been much better if for example, Jon would have made it to Bran and Theon.. as well as a couple of the others like Jamie, and then when the NK came, him and his generals had a battle with Jon, Theon, Jamie, and the rest as they fought to protect Bran.  At some point we see Arya get there, then in the chaos, we lose track of her.  Jamie and Theon die fighting the generals, Jon continues fighting with the NK until he's literally right beside Bran, Bran comes to.. Jon looks at him in a sorry way disappointed that he couldn't protect him.. Bran looks over, and just as the NK is ready to kill Jon, one of the generals comes up and stabs him from behind in the heart.. then with the camera centered on him, the NK shatters, and Arya is standing behind him like a fucking badass.

/fanfic

that would have been awesome

Here's a question, how could they have terminated the Night King in a way that would have in your eyes been a better payoff? What you're saying isn't really conducive to anything leading up to it, it seems like a convenience rather than something which would have feasibly come together given everything preceding it.

As much as he's a character he was simply a tool built to eradicate man, there's not a huge amount of depth to his existence and his intentions. To add to this also he and the white walkers were never the main plot device, they were a sub-plot, they are a massive obstacle fleecing attention away and intruding with the main plot of the show. I think people wanted there to be more depth to something that really never had much depth to begin with and built up their own expectations which lead to disappointment. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

No.. no fucking way.

/fanfic

I 100% agree with your interpretation of those scenes. I think other ppl here have heavily misinterpreted some scenes and that in no way suggests that Arya used the face of a wight or a WW.

The scenes in order though are telling you how she would do it (obviously not directly). The stealth scene in the rooms and the very specific blood dripping scene is to show her speed and quietness. 

We then get Beric who Melisandre said served his purpose in saving Arya.

Then the scene with Melisandre and Arya is to tell Arya that SHE is the one meant to kill the WW, that it's her destiny. It has nothing to do with telling her to use the face of a wight or WW.

When Arya realises that she stops her fight with the army of dead and decides to take on the role of killing the NK herself and she runs off (previously she was leaving that role to Jon and Dany as was the plan).

From then on it was simply a decision of context vs surprise moment and the creators chose the surprise. They could have shown another scene to make it more believable but they gave more importance to the surprise, which many many shows do at the cost of a more clear logic. 

With that said I don't think it's crazy unbelievable. They established her speed and stealth, had the tiny scene of wind on the WW face and him noticing something but is too late. They were all fixated on Bran as the NK was fixated on Bran. 

Also the scene prior with Theon charging at the NK, it's not like any of the WWs or the legions of dead moved to stop Theon, they all let NK handle it cause he wasn't seen as a threat. 

So while it's not perfect it's more than good enough logically for me that it really doesn't bother me.

But yes, there are very much better ways they could have done it, but it's hard to say until we see the end. I'm certain they wanted to keep Jon and Dany out of the NK battle because their 'moments' are yet to come in the show..... most likely against each other. I'm near certain one of the them will kill the other. So with these last few eps they need to give every character their individual moments and I think they didn't want a prior NK battle to take away from Arya's work. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Here's a question, how could they have terminated the Night King in a way that would have in your eyes been a better payoff?

As much as he's a character he was simply a tool built to eradicate man, there's not a huge amount of depth to his existence and his intentions. To add to this also he and the white walkers were never the main plot device, they were a sub-plot, they are a massive obstacle fleecing attention away and intruding with the main plot of the show. 

In order for there to be a payoff, you need to give closure to the questions that you pose on people.  

Oh, so the NK just wanted to kill everybody... there was no real connection between him and Bran??  LOL ok... LAAAAAAAAME.

There was no dialogue or revelation before his death... it was MEANINGLESS.  If you think simply being a sub plot device to the main plot is good enough reason for him existing and being killed with no payoff?  Then you're wrong.  He raised questions... and it turns out we were dumb to ask them because they didn't matter.

Oh well.. whatever.

4 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Here's a question, how could they have terminated the Night King in a way that would have in your eyes been a better payoff? What you're saying isn't really conducive to anything leading up to it, it seems like a convenience rather than something which would have feasibly come together given everything preceding it.

As much as he's a character he was simply a tool built to eradicate man, there's not a huge amount of depth to his existence and his intentions. To add to this also he and the white walkers were never the main plot device, they were a sub-plot, they are a massive obstacle fleecing attention away and intruding with the main plot of the show. 

Let me reiterate that I'm fine with how it went down. But I get the complaints because it is more about how insignificant the 8 year build up was. All it resulted in was one battle and consequence wise, very little (Theon being the biggest casualty). I mean if anyone told you that the last time we actually see a WW in combat was Hardhome then there is no way you would've believed them and no way you would've been happy about that.

More importantly though it is how minimal consequence these events have on the actual main plot of the Iron Throne. Cersei gets zero consequences from her decision to ignore the dead and is actually rewarded by it. As it stands the whole WW plot line for 8 seasons is a plot device to basically weaken 2 dragons and lessen Dany's army so she doesn't have the obvious victory against Cersei. 

It would have been much better if they lost the Winterfell battle and had to retreat down south to King's Landing. Cersei then arrogantly joyous because her enemies are defeated (she still doesn't believe the full threat of the WW) and in that ignorance then have an even larger dead army with the WW and the NK descend on King's Landing for the final battle against all 7 kingdoms, including the Golden Company army, the lannister army, the Iron Islands army, Euron, plus the survivors of winterfell. Then after they were victorious and in all the blood and death there still be the giant question of who rules the Iron Throne. We then get a true look into the characters. Has this battle changed anyone, have they seen that they need to unite or will their selfishness and the Iron Throne still be final goal, no matter the cost.

• Like 2
Just now, Remij_ said:

In order for there to be a payoff, you need to give closure to the questions that you pose on people.  

Oh, so the NK just wanted to kill everybody... there was no real connection between him and Bran??  LOL ok... LAAAAAAAAME.

There was no dialogue or revelation before his death... it was MEANINGLESS.  If you think simply being a sub plot device to the main plot is good enough reason for him existing and being killed with no payoff?  Then you're wrong.  He raised questions... and it turns out we were dumb to ask them because they didn't matter.

Oh well.. whatever.

Bran housed all of man's history as the Three-Eyed Raven, the Night King was created to destroy man, Bran was the most important piece in the puzzle of realizing this.

Seems pretty simple. 

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Bran housed all of man's history as the Three-Eyed Raven, the Night King was created to destroy man, Bran was the most important piece in the puzzle of realizing this.

Seems pretty simple. 

Indeed... it would have been easy to have a scene that really added some context to that fact... instead of the.. nothing.. that we got. :shrug: 

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Seems pretty simple. 

Why was the NK able to see Bran in a vision and mark him?

Why is he then able to sense wherever Bran is?

Bran became the TER well after the WW and NK were raising their armies and preparing for the assualt on Westeros.

• Teh_Diplomat changed the title to [S8 EPISODE 6] Game of Thrones final season thread (dedicated to cubeaholic) OPEN SPOILERS NOW DON'T COME IN IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT
  • madmaltese★ locked this topic