[S8 EPISODE 6] Game of Thrones final season thread (dedicated to cubeaholic) OPEN SPOILERS NOW DON'T COME IN IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT

If you turn your brain off then the episodes are enjoyable. But man do they make it hard.

-Dany and her dragons getting ambushed by an entire fleet of ships hiding behind...............a rock? lol. Then 3 perfect shots from a scorpion followed by 20 shots that miss dan flying straight at them. Followed by dany totally ignoring them and flying back

-Bronn showing up at winterfell unquestioned with a crossbow in hand and finding the exact room that the two ppl he needs to talk to are. Then everything about that scene. he's negotiating with ppl who have no power. Then just leaves......um

-Cersei been trying to kill Tyrion for seasons and then has a million arrows pointed at him. Decides to kill missandei but not Tyrion? Also Dany has her entire weakened army standing right there..... without jon and the dothraki and all the others....... just waiting to be destroyed. But Cersei just kills missandei and lets the other all go. 

-Varys finally back in action, sound great convo after what felt like seasons of silence. Then master schemer Varys is now just flat out saying he is going to betray Dany? Never ever once flat out said anything. 

-Not even a shot of Euron when Tyrion is telling Cersei about her child.....surely Euron brings it up next ep, right? right?

Now my biggest gripe:

-The jon snow reveal to Sansa and Arya was done OFF CAMERA. Are you kidding me? Actual huge character moments and we don't see it. Same with tyrion finding out. 

So yeah lot of complaints but I am actually enjoying it for the brain dead entertainment it is, but man the writing is in the absolute gutter.

Also my 'one of jon or dany will kill each other' is now firmly Jon will kill Dany. That whole ep and it's events was made for it to be the one way that Jon would have to do it, because Dany is going to become the tyrant she fought against due to her anger and rage. 

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"You will never walk again, Bran."   You couldn't ask for a better person to sit on the Iron Throne than a paraplegic.  

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

If you turn your brain off then the episodes are enjoyable. But man do they make it hard.

-Dany and her dragons getting ambushed by an entire fleet of ships hiding behind...............a rock? lol. Then 3 perfect shots from a scorpion followed by 20 shots that miss dan flying straight at them. Followed by dany totally ignoring them and flying back

-Bronn showing up at winterfell unquestioned with a crossbow in hand and finding the exact room that the two ppl he needs to talk to are. Then everything about that scene. he's negotiating with ppl who have no power. Then just leaves......um

-Cersei been trying to kill Tyrion for seasons and then has a million arrows pointed at him. Decides to kill missandei but not Tyrion? Also Dany has her entire weakened army standing right there..... without jon and the dothraki and all the others....... just waiting to be destroyed. But Cersei just kills missandei and lets the other all go. 

-Varys finally back in action, sound great convo after what felt like seasons of silence. Then master schemer Varys is now just flat out saying he is going to betray Dany? Never ever once flat out said anything. 

-Not even a shot of Euron when Tyrion is telling Cersei about her child.....surely Euron brings it up next ep, right? right?

Now my biggest gripe:

-The jon snow reveal to Sansa and Arya was done OFF CAMERA. Are you kidding me? Actual huge character moments and we don't see it. Same with tyrion finding out. 

So yeah lot of complaints but I am actually enjoying it for the brain dead entertainment it is, but man the writing is in the absolute gutter.

Also my 'one of jon or dany will kill each other' is now firmly Jon will kill Dany. That whole ep and it's events was made for it to be the one way that Jon would have to do it, because Dany is going to become the tyrant she fought against due to her anger and rage. 

Plus, he is always pledging himself to her every time they're on screen. 

3 minutes ago, Alphonse said:

Plus, he is always pledging himself to her every time they're on screen. 

Yeah pretty much. Every second with Jon was spent with him saying over and over how she is his queen. We all know what that means.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Now my biggest gripe:

I agree with some of those.

The 3 perfect hits and then a billion misses was daft but about what you would expect from anything these days to be honest. As for Bronn...I'm thinking how the fuck did he sneak past everyone and find them immediately? :D fucking solid snake there. At no point did anyone question what he was doing there, or report to the Lannisters "hey we've just seen your old mate Bronn lurking about :bena:"

I think episode 3 was pretty good, this one felt very, very slow in comparison. I get they're trying to pace it out and cover some plot points but damn barely anything happened lol

I thought it was a good episode

But Dany is making no sense with her tactics. I’m not sure why she is so against a seige tactic when it’s exactly what helped her win Mereen.

Varys also knows every secret access to the city. They could 100% relocate what they did there even with a smaller force

• Upvote 1

She had all the patience in the world in waiting to get to westeros and now that she is here she wanted to leave instantly after the greatest battle in human history, with depleted forces, to take the Iron Throne and doesn't want to use tactics that benefited her in the past and would reduce bloodshed.

This is why a lot of the hardcore fans complain about the writing since the books ended. It's because it doesn't feel natural. Characters are doing uncharacteristic things to force a narrative. Maybe it's actually the problem with GRRM telling them major plot elements and DD having to sort of write everything to fit those beats, instead of naturally progressing the story. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Now my biggest gripe:

Lol did you see the post episode behind the scenes thing. “Dang forgot about Euron but Euron didn’t forget about her”. Meanwhile it happens like 2 scenes after they discuss Eurons fleet. 

Varys talking about Jon being good because he doesn’t want to rule. I guess he forgot about that Robert guy. 

The Bronn shit was terrible like you said. 

Also what happened to winter. It was snowing when Jaime left and now apparently it’s just a dessert (also it seems to have moved away from the sea). Guess those maesters were really off. 

I would blame the shortened seasons for the story being condensed and them having to speed things up oreventing them from fleshing things out like in the earlier seasons. But it seems like they did that intentionally cause the writers just kinda suck. It’s not really DBDBs fault, they were hired to adapt the books and they did a great fucking job. They suck at writing their own story though. They should have brought competent writers in to finish it off at that point. 

1 hour ago, madmaltese said:

She had all the patience in the world in waiting to get to westeros and now that she is here she wanted to leave instantly after the greatest battle in human history, with depleted forces, to take the Iron Throne and doesn't want to use tactics that benefited her in the past and would reduce bloodshed.

This is why a lot of the hardcore fans complain about the writing since the books ended. It's because it doesn't feel natural. Characters are doing uncharacteristic things to force a narrative. Maybe it's actually the problem with GRRM telling them major plot elements and DD having to sort of write everything to fit those beats, instead of naturally progressing the story. 

I’ve rewatched the original season lately and was amazed by how much progression they manage to fit into 10 episodes. And to balance in a way that never felt like it was rushed.

Just take Tyrion in season 1 he goes from a Winterfell to the wall back to Winterfell, to the crossroads and gets captured, get a ambushed on the way to the Eyrie, gets imprisoned, has a trial by combat, almost killed again by mountain men who he recruits, meets his dad in the middle of a war and almost dies himself and then is named acting hand of the king. 

And they manage all this with dozens of characters while never feeling like the pacing is off. Name a single character whose arc is this dense in the last few seasons

Thats the main problem. They condensed a books worth of material into a TV show and made it work. Without the density of material since they have struggled

24 minutes ago, Casual said:

Lol did you see the post episode behind the scenes thing. “Dang forgot about Euron but Euron didn’t forget about her”. Meanwhile it happens like 2 scenes after they discuss Eurons fleet. 

Varys talking about Jon being good because he doesn’t want to rule. I guess he forgot about that Robert guy. 

The Bronn shit was terrible like you said. 

Also what happened to winter. It was snowing when Jaime left and now apparently it’s just a dessert (also it seems to have moved away from the sea). Guess those maesters were really off. 

I would blame the shortened seasons for the story being condensed and them having to speed things up oreventing them from fleshing things out like in the earlier seasons. But it seems like they did that intentionally cause the writers just kinda suck. It’s not really DBDBs fault, they were hired to adapt the books and they did a great fucking job. They suck at writing their own story though. They should have brought competent writers in to finish it off at that point. 

:D No I haven't watched that and I'm kind of glad. It's bad enough just excusing it to myself but having to hear D&D come up with the worst possible explanation for things is so much worse. 

10 minutes ago, Voidler said:

I’ve rewatched the original season lately and was amazed by how much progression they manage to fit into 10 episodes. And to balance in a way that never felt like it was rushed.

Just take Tyrion in season 1 he goes from a Winterfell to the wall back to Winterfell, to the crossroads and gets captured, get a ambushed on the way to the Eyrie, gets imprisoned, has a trial by combat, almost killed again by mountain men who he recruits, meets his dad in the middle of a war and almost dies himself and then is named acting hand of the king. 

And they manage all this with dozens of characters while never feeling like the pacing is off. Name a single character whose arc is this dense in the last few seasons

Thats the main problem. They condensed a books worth of material into a TV show and made it work. Without the density of material since they have struggled

S1-3 are masterpieces, but like you said, it's a lot easier to condense a shit tonne of book material and do heavy editing and take out the best bits to make a show then it is to then have to continue that epic story. Everything about this season has felt as them very forcefully pushing characters into their endgame scenario that they've had for a while. 

Which on a related note, I've seen comparisons to Lost. I'm one of the few that actually loved the ending of Lost and that final season and ppl are comparing this to that in a negative way though. Imo this is polar opposite. Lost threw away and gave up lore and narrative to remain focused on it's characters. This has sort of done the opposite, where after 8 long seasons it seems like nearly all the characters and their arcs are just there to serve the resolution of the plot, even when that means highly uncharacteristic actions.

And it does sound like I am bitching a lot, but I do thoroughly enjoy them (in a different way than originally) and am hyped af for the last 2 eps. 

Yeah I mean it’s still the only thing on TV I actually watch besides sports. 

Its just no longer in that Wire/Breaking Bad tier that it was at one point for me. 

The lack of substance and disconnected/obnoxious story bits in the last few seasons has got me very hyped for the books though, I really hope TWOW gets a release date in the next year or so :(  

14 hours ago, madmaltese said:

:D No I haven't watched that and I'm kind of glad. It's bad enough just excusing it to myself but having to hear D&D come up with the worst possible explanation for things is so much worse. 

S1-3 are masterpieces, but like you said, it's a lot easier to condense a shit tonne of book material and do heavy editing and take out the best bits to make a show then it is to then have to continue that epic story. Everything about this season has felt as them very forcefully pushing characters into their endgame scenario that they've had for a while. 

Which on a related note, I've seen comparisons to Lost. I'm one of the few that actually loved the ending of Lost and that final season and ppl are comparing this to that in a negative way though. Imo this is polar opposite. Lost threw away and gave up lore and narrative to remain focused on it's characters. This has sort of done the opposite, where after 8 long seasons it seems like nearly all the characters and their arcs are just there to serve the resolution of the plot, even when that means highly uncharacteristic actions.

And it does sound like I am bitching a lot, but I do thoroughly enjoy them (in a different way than originally) and am hyped af for the last 2 eps. 

I found later seasons way more exciting, S6 is my favorite. S1-3 are great but BORING at times. 

Come at me

21 minutes ago, Vini said:

I found later seasons way more exciting, S6 is my favorite. S1-3 are great but BORING at times. 

Come at me

S6 was solid, probably the best balance of competent writing but also the huge battles/moments. 

2/4 would probably be my favourites if I was forced to pick. 

I mean, can anyone name a single show that had final season/finale (Breaking Bad is an exception because Gilligan is the best TV writer ever) that actually has been completely well received?

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

I mean, can anyone name a single show that had final season/finale (Breaking Bad is an exception because Gilligan is the best TV writer ever) that actually has been completely well received?

the shield. holy fuck at that ending. Family Meeting (the finale) is probably up there with BB's Ozymandias episode. 

Edited by -GD-
  • Teh_Diplomat changed the title to [S8 EPISODE 6] Game of Thrones final season thread (dedicated to cubeaholic) OPEN SPOILERS NOW DON'T COME IN IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT
  • madmaltese★ locked this topic