Sony officially gives PS5 details (Cerny himself)

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm hoping for lots of power to kill switch support completely 

I literally can't find aliasing in Far Cry 5 on Xbox One X, and it's razor sharp IQ. 8K wouldn't do anything. 

Just now, Remij_ said:

Sounds like compromise :francis: 

Well no shit. It could be fake, but it's a bit weird they didn't mention memory don't you think? So they are probably doing something there to cut costs.

GameCube also had a fast and slow RAM setup and did just fine. I don't think we can just sum up the RAM bandwidth from both pools, and say this will be the bandwidth. Non of us actually know how such a setup would perform.

Seems cheaper than 16 gigs of GDDR6 by the way, and 16 would yield them a 256 bit bus. So maybe this will be cheaper and perform better.

It actually makes perfect sense since the Japanese leak said Sony was desperately looking for ways to increase the amount of RAM on the cheap.

2 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Well no shit. It could be fake, but it's a bit weird they didn't mention memory don't you think? So they are probably doing something there to cut costs.

GameCube also had a fast and slow RAM setup and did just fine. I don't think we can just sum up the RAM bandwidth from both pools, and say this will be the bandwidth. Non of us actually know how such a setup would perform.

Seems cheaper than 16 gigs of GDDR6 by the way, and 16 would yield them a 256 bit bus. So maybe this will be cheaper and perform better.

It actually makes perfect sense since the Japanese leak said Sony was desperately looking for ways to increase the amount of RAM on the cheap.

Yea, we saw how that worked for MS this gen:hest: 

And no... it's not weird they didn't mention memory... since that's a key component to the makeup of the system.. you can glean a lot of information just from the amount of memory and what type... so no.. not weird at all.

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yea, we saw how that worked for MS this gen:hest: 

And no... it's not weird they didn't mention memory... since that's a key component to the makeup of the system.. you can glean a lot of information just from the amount of memory and what type... so no.. not weird at all.

16 gigs of GDDR6 apparently would cost them over twice what they paid at launch for 8 gigs of GDDR5 at PS4 launch. Matt that knows the specs said he expects 399. Memory is the most expensive part, so maybe the RAM.setup is a give away on price. Also Benji said analysts in the sales sphere also expect 399.

Seems like they found the most creative work around that they could.  Take it or leave it. 399 is proven to work, 499 could work, but if I was Sony I wouldn't want to take the risk and test in practice.

They have to cut on SOMETHING. Is DDR4 that cheap?

Just now, Team 2019 said:

16 gigs of GDDR6 apparently would cost them over twice what they paid at launch for 8 gigs of GDDR5 at PS4 launch. Matt that knows the specs said he expects 399. Memory is the most expensive part, so maybe the RAM.setup is a give away on price. Also Benji said analysts in the sales sphere also expect 399.

Seems like they found the most creative work around that they could.  Take it or leave it. 399 is proven to work, 499 could work, but if I was Sony I wouldn't want to take the risk and test in practice.

They have to cut on SOMETHING. Is DDR4 that cheap?

Matt said PS5 was 2019 and you rode his dick into oblivion.. fuck that guy :reg: 

I'm not saying it's impossible or anything, but I'm saying it sounds messy.

11 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Matt said PS5 was 2019 and you rode his dick into oblivion.. fuck that guy :reg: 

I'm not saying it's impossible or anything, but I'm saying it sounds messy.

Well what if they really don't even have a choice if they want to hit the right price. Cerny said they were going for a 128 bit bus and buffer RAM or whatever to bring the bandwidth up, like MS was with the One with the PS4. Also note the conservative Pro RAM speed, and a ghetto RAM for OS offload solution.

Nintendo also got their Maxwell GPU on the cheap because Nvidia didn't know where to sell those chips from their orders.

I read Ryzen would need at least 50gbps from the main fast RAM, maybe offloading that shit to the cheap RAM is the best way to preserve performance?

Also 2019 was the original plan apparently that was changed for whatever reason. The RT solution by the way for Navi, is apparently entering production in late 2019. If the pastebin leak is also true, it's not very good either.

Cerny's marketing pitch of SSD being the biggest game changer should hint the rest of the system is conservative. Imagine if he went out and said they would have DDR4 ram, what a shit show it would marketing wise.

This setup kinda aligns and makes sense. Lack of RAM reveal, Japanese RAM problem leak, 399 etc

Edited by Team 2019
17 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Well what if they really don't even have a choice if they want to hit the right price. Cerny said they were going for a 128 bit bus and buffer RAM or whatever to bring the bandwidth up, like MS was with the One with the PS4. Also note the conservative Pro RAM speed, and a ghetto RAM for OS offload solution.

Nintendo also got their Maxwell GPU on the cheap because Nvidia didn't know where to sell those chips from their orders.

I read Ryzen would need at least 50gbps from the main fast RAM, maybe offloading that shit to the cheap RAM is the best way to preserve performance?

Also 2019 was the original plan apparently that was changed for whatever reason. The RT solution by the way for Navi, is apparently entering production in late 2019. If the pastebin leak is also true, it's not very good either.

Cerny's marketing pitch of SSD being the biggest game changer should hint the rest of the system is conservative. Imagine if he went out and said they would have DDR4 ram, what a shit show it would marketing wise.

This is what I think.  If they do this... this will be their Xbox level fuck up.. assuming MS goes for broke and has more RAM which is faster.  It will be the exact opposite of what happened this past gen.  Sony was going to skimp with the PS4 memory too... they have a history of not being smart with memory.  Memory is extremely important, and you don't want to fuck it up now.

2019 wasn't the original plan dude... it was NEVER on the cards.  That was bullshit fed to you to keep people talking about Playstation since people expected Sony to launch first.  These insiders are fumbling their way around what little information they actually DO have.  If it was originally planned for 2019 then EVERYTHING would have been finalized in 2017/18 and we would have heard more concrete shit.  It's 2019 and these insiders can't nail down and all agree on what memory configuration the hardware will have??  ROFL no...

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

This is what I think.  If they do this... this will be their Xbox level fuck up.. assuming MS goes for broke and has more RAM which is faster.  It will be the exact opposite of what happened this past gen.  Sony was going to skimp with the PS4 memory too... they have a history of not being smart with memory.  Memory is extremely important, and you don't want to fuck it up now.

2019 wasn't the original plan dude... it was NEVER on the cards.  That was bullshit fed to you to keep people talking about Playstation since Sony fanboys are more anxious to move up from the PS4 or PRO at the moment.  These insiders are fumbling their way around what little information they actually DO have.  If it was originally planned for 2019 then EVERYTHING would have been finalized in 2017/18 and we would have heard more concrete shit.  It's 2019 and these insiders can't nail down and all agree on what memory configuration the hardware will have??  ROFL no...

Also hitting some bottlenecks, and compromises makes a lot more sense if they can get the price right. For 95% of people "good enough" is just fine if it comes in at good price, has BC, can play respectable versions of next gen games and more importantly has exclusives.

It's going to outperform Lockhart, and probably come in cheaper than Anaconda. That's a good position to be. Not that I think this matters. The goal is to keep PS dudes and make go them to for PS5, not go for XBox dudes. I can't see a pitch of changing ecosystems work. Outside of forum people choose an ecosystem then decide on which model of a system to get, outside of forums I don't think people actually buy based on a spec list. The only reason why it worked for PS4 was because it was cheaper and more powerful. I don't see power being a factor if the price is different.

Imagine the worl of hurt they're in if say Lockhart is 100-200 cheaper.

Basically I think this rumor is complete bullshit.

Like a poster on ResetERA said... you really think they're going to allow themselves to be reliant on bad HBM2 memory chips rejected from other companies to meet their production requirements?

Bullshit or not, not specifying the RAM type is suspect. I mean it's not like they have to give clockspeeds or RAM amount, and it's no secret to MS what they will use.

Plus they both got to hit at least 16 gigs usable, anything less is a joke. Also there is nothing crazy if the RAM is cheap,works, and HBM3 is on the way and cheaper. Plus HBM2 is much smaller than GDDR6 with lesss power draw. If they got a choice between RAM that's much more expensive I think they will take the hit.

Anyways with Dev kits out specs are going to come out soon. Most realistically MS and Sony will have the same basic shit at different clocks. The APU isn't even the most expensive part.

Also Carlos wants a 500-700 dollar card shoved into next gen in this thread. How surreal is that?

Youre gonna take your 11tflop Navi lite, and you're going to fucking love it. Also apparently for optimal performance with no bottlenecks you need 45-50 gbps of bandwidth per AMD teraflop. Thing is bound to be bandwidth starved no matter what.

Are Sony also willing to pay 2x+ for the amount they paid for PS4 RAM? I'm not so sure tbh. XBox One style solution or not especially when we know they considered something similar before.

Edited by Team 2019

Some idiot probably heard that PS5 dev kits had 8GB HBM2 and 16GB DDR4 RAM... which is exactly like what an early PC dev kit with Vega 56 would have (System memory doubled obviously.  The actual console... I'm doubtful.

Who knows though.. maybe they've cobbled together some shit that does well enough... but imo, this is where MS reverses the scenario from this gen back on Sony, if that indeed is what they go for.  Hopefully both prove competent enough.

This rumour breaks the mold and makes some sense. It also appeared right before the PS5 reveal and only addresses the RAM instead of fairy details like price being locked which a dev wouldn't know.

If fake that's a lot of creativity on the part of the dude that wrote all that. Commendable.

Also note devs see 20 gigs and the system manages all that memory shit itself.

Edited by Team 2019
17 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

So once again 10-12tflops according to them basically. Stadia tflops.

Seems as if that's gaining more ground. Yea.  Richard I think could be throwing little tidbits in there like when he says "I think we should prepare for GPU compute throughput to be lower.. a fair bit lower in fact".  It seems like he's tempering expectations a bit from the people that are expecting 14TF.  Could be wrong though.  They didn't mention memory at all though.. I was hoping they would theorize on that..

Spec circle jerk aside, it seems people are more than satisfied with what we are getting with PS5. 10-12 is irrelevant, 2 tflops don't change shit in the grand scheme of things.

Now the next thing to matter if they can nail 399, and a March release. If they do I think the vast majority of SW will easily buy it at launch, and that would be a huge win, and gamers in general. And of course some games, but I think better multiplats can carry next gen alone for a certain period of time.

It's the next PlayStation. It's a safe bet.