World War Z reviews

So some early reviews, user reviews, YouTube reviews and a few published reviews have trickled out and overall the consensus seems to be very positive. It appears that they basically nailed what they were going for and it's very much a Left 4 Dead 3'esque successor that Valve is obviously refusing to make. ACG gave it a buy, the user reviews and rating are all quite good in the 8's and 9's, MSPowerUser gave it an 8/10. A lot of articles are drawing comparisons to Days Gone and that if it doesn't deliver this game could actually do more damage to it. 

For $34.99 it seems like it's something worth checking out especially if you've been looking for a new squad based co-op game, more so one with zombies. The graphics are decent, the gameplay loop is basically that of Left 4 Dead, the horde technology is apparently quite solid, there's a lot of upgrade potential and leveling for weapons, on PC it runs with basically the performance profile of Devil May Cry V so you can expect great framerates there. 

Overall it sounds like a buy. 

• Like 1

yeah, the more i think about it the more i've been itching for this type of game even though i was never that big into L4D. I think its been long enough that a well made clone of that experience would be good enough for me.

Buying it now, ill try and post some impressions.

Edited by Twinblade
  • Like 1
Just now, Sabo said:

How similar to L4D is it?

Does the game have a Director AI system?

Does it have Special Infected?

Never even heard of this game until now.

The AI seems pretty good and there's a horde system, the zombies will pile up on top of each other to climb and reach you regardless of where you are, they'll pour in through windows, skylights, basically come in from anywhere. There's different classes of zombies, I know that, not sure about special infected though. 

• Like 1

I played through the New York campaign (first one) and it’s definitely pretty fun. Sometimes it feels like it’s trying too hard to replicate L4D, especially with the character dialogue and attempts at humor (which are pretty mixed). The special zombie types are also just clones of L4D’s, they could have tried to show more creativity there. The quantity of zombies that the game throws at you is definitely impressive and there’s a real satisfaction to just mowing down groups of them all at once. 

I’m not sure the game will have L4D’s legs though. So far I’m not seeing much evidence of the randomness or procedural elements that L4D is known for, but I’ll have to play more before I can fully make a judgement on that.

Edited by Twinblade
1 hour ago, JONBpc said:

I'm watching the gamespot vid . It looks fun .

How does it run on yout PC TB?

It runs pretty well. There was a moment where I got separated from my group and a swarm of at least 50 zombies ambushed me in a tiny room. I blew them all away with a shotgun while they were all up on me and the framerate did not dip at all.

Edited by Twinblade

I just finished the last campaign mission in co-op. Its par for the course for this type of game, it was only like 4 hours long.

2 hours ago, JONBpc said:

What kind of game modes does it have ?

Outside of the campaign there's multiplayer. They advertise it as player vs player vs zombie but its probably just traditional deatchmatch with zombies thrown in. Ill try it out tomorrow.

Edited by Twinblade
21 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I just finished the last campaign mission in co-op. Its par for the course for this type of game, it was only like 4 hours long.

Outside of the campaign there's multiplayer. They advertise it as player vs player vs zombie but its probably just traditional deatchmatch with zombies thrown in. Ill try it out tomorrow.

That sounds about as long as Left 4 Dead, how's the replayability? That's what made L4D so good. 

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Nya` said:

That sounds about as long as Left 4 Dead, how's the replayability? That's what made L4D so good. 

That’s the thing, I need to play more but so far  it doesn’t initially come off as very repayable. Each of the 6 classes has a pretty large skill tree, and you can unlock better versions of each weapon so there is a lot of persistence. But it’s all just window dressing if the gameplay isn’t varied enough to keep you playing.