Sony further cementing their stance on censorship of sexual content

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-cracks-down-on-sexually-explicit-content-in-games-11555427944

TOKYO -- Sony Corp. is cracking down on sexual content in PlayStation 4 videogames globally, reflecting concerns in the U.S. about the depiction of women in games but irritating some software developers.

Sony's new in-house standards that limit sexually explicit content distinguish it from other game-hardware makers that allow a greater amount of content as long as the software carries a rating from a national industry body.

A Sony spokeswoman confirmed the company has established its own guidelines "so that creators can offer well- balanced content on the platform" and gaming "does not inhibit the sound growth and development" of young people. She declined to say when these guidelines were introduced or to discuss them in detail.

Some additional excerpts from the article:

Sony officials said executives at the company have grown concerned that its global reputation could take a hit from sexually explicit content sold only in a few markets. One of their biggest concerns is software sold in the company’s home market of Japan, which traditionally has had more tolerance for near-nudity and images of young women who might appear underage.
Two factors last year combined to turn that unease into action, these Sony officials say. One was the rise of the #MeToo movement in the U.S., which pointed to the dangers of being associated with content that some might see as demeaning to women. The second was the emergence of channels on sites like YouTube and Amazon Inc.’s Twitch where gamers play in front of a camera and are watched by fans online. That means games meeting Japan’s laxer standards can get world-wide exposure.
In general, any company making a game for a platform like the PlayStation 4, Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox or Nintendo Co.’s Switch signs a contract with the platform maker governing royalties and other items. That gives the platform maker the ability to block games it doesn’t like.

Nintendo said it doesn't regulate sexual content beyond requiring game makers to obtain a rating from national bodies. It said its game systems allow parents to restrict content based on the rating. Microsoft declined to comment.
“You don’t know what they will say until you complete the work and submit it for review,” said the chief executive of a small game developer in Japan. “And if they are not happy, even if they allowed the same degree of sexuality a few days before, we need to take it back and ask our staff to make adjustments. That’s very costly.”

:hest: This is for the Gaymers, smart moves on the eve of a new console generation. 

Edited by Nya`
1 minute ago, Bodycount ex-X said:

sad part is because MS is a non-factor sony is literally in a position now where they can do whatever they want. Most of the games we're considering here are Japanese games that don't even come to xbox. No one is switching shit, sony has games and MS doesn't, censored or not. :hest:

You don't think these Japanese developers are going to get tired of this shit and think "wait, there's three other platforms out there not censoring content, adios bitches!"...

Yea, I'm really not down with this.  They're starting to treat us like babies again.  I get the reduction of pervy underage looking type shit... but they're testing what they can get away with, I'm guessing.

It just makes no sense that you can't have some gratuitous nudity, while at the same time people in TLOU2 are dying in the most violent ways imaginable.

I hope they don't continue pushing to much further.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Yea, I'm really not down with this.  They're starting to treat us like babies again.  I get the reduction of pervy underage looking type shit... but they're testing what they can get away with, I'm guessing.

It just makes no sense that you can't have some gratuitous nudity, while at the same time people in TLOU2 are dying in the most violent ways imaginable.

They've already shown that they're going well beyond the perceived "underaged" excuse, that's their means of justification. This post on Era says it all with their disingenuous bullshit, it's puritanism. 

A Sony spokeswoman confirmed the company has established its own guidelines "so that creators can offer well- balanced content on the platform" and gaming "does not inhibit the sound growth and development" of young people

Oh okay

tenor.gif?itemid=13299739

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

That's where PosC delivers, that rare situation where it isn't completely useless. You got a bunch of Remipees working day and night for free, removing censorship from games and creating nude patches for everything :dame: 

1 minute ago, Nya` said:

They've already shown that they're going well beyond the perceived "underaged" excuse, that's their means of justification. This post on Era says it all with their disingenuous bullshit, it's puritanism. 

LOL

Sony... man.. cmon.. you're back in the drivers seat... you brought mature violent games into the mainstream.. don't do this :( 

1 minute ago, bhytre said:

That's where PosC delivers, that rare situation where it isn't completely useless. You got a bunch of Remipees working day and night for free, removing censorship from games and creating nude patches for everything :dame: 

:juggle: 

5 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

LOL

Sony... man.. cmon.. you're back in the drivers seat... you brought mature violent games into the mainstream.. don't do this :( 

It's actually making a lot of people question them, and the purchase of a PS5. What lengths will they go to with this, because they clearly don't give a shit what anyone thinks and justify all of their bullshit with "but think of the children"...

1 minute ago, Nya` said:

It's actually making a lot of people question them, and the purchase of a PS5. What lengths will they go to with this, because they clearly don't give a shit what anyone thinks and justify all of their bullshit with "but think of the children"...

Their western management is going to fuck them over in the long run if they keep it up :francis:

Also, all of their big games are extremely violent... the more they push on this the more hypocritical they will begin to look.  Either that, or their games will also become less violent and will suffer for it in the long run.

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Their western management is going to fuck them over in the long run if they keep it up :francis:

Also, all of their big games are extremely violent... the more they push on this the more hypocritical they will begin to look.  Either that, or their games will also become less violent and will suffer for it in the long run.

The confusing thing is Microsoft is centered in as much of a leftist think tank as Sony but it's not leading to censorship of any kind. Hell, so is Nintendo, you could break a window on Nintendo's HQ from Microsoft's property...

Edited by Nya`
Just now, Nya` said:

The confusing thing is Microsoft is centered in as much of a leftist think tank as Sony but it's not leading to censorship of any kind. 

MS' thing right now is inclusiveness and diversity.  Sony's appears to be that plus reducing the amount of 'unnecessary' sexuality in their games.

I get not wanting the completely ridiculous overtly sexualized games... but high quality games with ample nudity shouldn't be shunned.

If it was just this.. then ok, I get it.  But it seems to me that they are intent on pushing as far as they can get away with.. so this isn't the end.  

So far this has mostly effected that filthy sub genre of anime crap so I have no problem with it.

We'll see what happens outside of that but it's no surprise that they have no issues with violence. This is an American leaning policy and America has always had major issues with sexual related things but no qualms at all when it comes to violence.

20 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

So far this has mostly effected that filthy sub genre of anime crap so I have no problem with it.

We'll see what happens outside of that but it's no surprise that they have no issues with violence. This is an American leaning policy and America has always had major issues with sexual related things but no qualms at all when it comes to violence.

it affected dmcv. nothing is safe.

in the future, J devs should avoid both Sony and MS. :smoke:

4 minutes ago, Bodycount ex-X said:

Two factors last year combined to turn that unease into action, these Sony officials say. One was the rise of the #MeToo movement in the U.S., which pointed to the dangers of being associated with content that some might see as demeaning to women

BEND SONY! BEND TYOU WEAK POS! APPEASE THOSE SJW:roff:

N

Sony is bending the knee to feminists and inclusiveness, and the #MeToo movement yet you're supporting them and not Microsoft

Censorship of sexuality, women and more than that bull-dike actual lesbians, but you're on board :tom:

Edited by Nya`