Sign in to follow this  
McWicked

Radical Right Wing Extremism accounted for nearly all domestic terror attacks in 2018

On Wednesday, the Anti-Defamation League released a report finding that attackers with ties to right-wing extremist movements killed at least 50 people in 2018. That was close to the total number of Americans killed by domestic extremists, meaning that the far right had an almost absolute monopoly on lethal terrorism in the United States last year. That monopoly would be total if, in one case, the perpetrator had not “switched from white supremacist to radical Islamist beliefs prior to committing the murder.”

The number of fatalities is 35 percent higher than the previous year, and it marks the fourth-deadliest year for such attacks since 1970. In fact, according to the ADL, white supremacists are responsible for the majority of such attacks “almost every year.” The 2018 attacks include the one at Pittsburgh’s Tree of Life synagogue by a man who blamed Jews for the migrant caravan, the mass shooting at a yoga studio by an “incel” obsessed with interracial dating, and the school massacre in Parkland, Florida, carried out by a student who wished that “all the Jews were dead.”

From 2009 through 2018, right-wing extremists accounted for 73 percent of such killings, according to the ADL, compared with 23 percent for Islamists and 3 percent for left-wing extremists. In other words, most terrorist attacks in the United States, and most deaths from terrorist attacks, are caused by white extremists. But they do not cause the sort of nationwide panic that helped Trump win the 2016 election and helped the GOP expand its Senate majority in the midterms.

Right wingers are a cancer on society. :scust: 

2 hours ago, Nya` said:

Sounds to me like we're effectively curbing foreign terrorism on our shores. 

Yeah I mean if you look at it by the numbers, most terrorists are found in schools, places of worship - and in same cases; even your elected officials.

3 hours ago, Nya` said:

Foreign terrorism "on our shores" was never high to begin with.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

Foreign terrorism "on our shores" was never high to begin with.

It's usually far more impactful when it happens though. 

If America happened to be located in Europe there sure as hell would be more Islamic terrorism. Just so happens it's harder for them to get over here. Unless they come through Canada which has happened on a few occasions. 

Just now, Cookester15 said:

It's usually far more impactful when it happens though. 

If America happened to be located in Europe there sure as hell would be more Islamic terrorism. Just so happens it's harder for them to get over here. Unless they come through Canada which has happened on a few occasions. 

No, that's just regular ole scaremongering.

In amazing how we can be terrorized at some guys blowing up a trash-can at the Boston Marathon, but we shrug our shoulders at a white guy shooting up a place.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the terror is the same for victims in both instances.  We should start scaremongering terror equally for all types of people.

7 minutes ago, jehurey said:

No, that's just regular ole scaremongering.

In amazing how we can be terrorized at some guys blowing up a trash-can at the Boston Marathon, but we shrug our shoulders at a white guy shooting up a place.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the terror is the same for victims in both instances.  We should start scaremongering terror equally for all types of people.

I mean impactful by the amount killed in a single event. 

45 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

I mean impactful by the amount killed in a single event. 

Well, the plain fact of the matter is that 9/11 is the exception.

Because what we've been seeing 30 years prior and almost 20 years after are very similar attacks. A small homemade explosion, or a gun attack in a public place.

The most amount of damage a terrorist has been able to make is with a plane.  And, it looks like George W Bush's administration really dropped the ball because they were getting national security briefings in August 2001 about Osama Bin Laden planning attacks, and the main people who were going to perform the attack were already under FBI surveillance.

Looks like Cookie and Infanticide Deeno aren't concerned about terrorism when it's committed by white people.

On 2019-04-17 at 9:53 AM, Nya` said:

That's your spin? :tom:

Right wing terrorism in the US was always more rampant than foreign terrorism.