Switch Mini this fall. Next Generation Switch pushed back

On Switch Mini (Still dockable) 

Nikkei refers to this as a "small bargain version of its main game console 'Nintendo Switch,'" and says it's releasing this fall. While it's reportedly designed for portable outdoor use, the report also suggests that it will be dockable and playable on the TV. This goes against earlier rumors that suggested the smaller Switch would do away with the TV component of the current Nintendo Switch model.

On Next Gen Switch. 

"Japanese business journal Nikkei has a new report on Nintendo's plans for the Nintendo Switch with new details on future models. USG independently translated the report, which claims that a "next-generation" model of the Switch, different from a planned "inexpensive version," has been postponed. The reason appears to specifically be with getting the Nintendo Switch operating system running on this new hardware and an issue with power consumption."

2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

On Next Gen Switch. 

"Japanese business journal Nikkei has a new report on Nintendo's plans for the Nintendo Switch with new details on future models. USG independently translated the report, which claims that a "next-generation" model of the Switch, different from a planned "inexpensive version," has been postponed. The reason appears to specifically be with getting the Nintendo Switch operating system running on this new hardware and an issue with power consumption."

:wonder: 

8 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

more powerful Switch still needs to be portable.... probably can't get it to acceptable low power consumption for the portable mode. 

I'm not really referring to the power consumption aspect of that sentence, even though I know I bolded it.  Power consumption will always be an issue for mobile devices.. that much is understandable... but considering that it's a more powerful piece of hardware, they can always scale back a bit.  My question is regarding the OS being a challenge to get to run on the new hardware.  Makes no sense.

41 minutes ago, Casual said:

Lol they should just cancel the "Next gen" version and start from scratch after Sony dropped them bombs.

You think that when we found this out publicly is when industry insiders and or other developers had a ball park idea of what PS5 would entail? lol

Im sure PS5 being more powerful than PS4 wasn't a shock to anyone.... especially people in the industry. 

36 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I'm not really referring to the power consumption aspect of that sentence, even though I know I bolded it.  Power consumption will always be an issue for mobile devices.. that much is understandable... but considering that it's a more powerful piece of hardware, they can always scale back a bit.  My question is regarding the OS being a challenge to get to run on the new hardware.  Makes no sense.

What I took from this is... the mini switch has the exact same internals as rhe regular switch... no. problem with getting the OS up anr running. 

The more powerful Switch most likely used a different Chipset and they weren't able to meet the deadlines for acceptable compatibility to launch this year. 

I really want one or a cheaper current SKU, I will not play games till then. Smash and Travis Strikes Again are the only games I wanna play at the moment but I don't want to spend too much.

The rumors could be true. But, I think its probably the smarter choice for them to not do any sort of "mid-gen" refresh, and probably start thinking about making a significant overhaul in the hardware for 2020-2021.

I don't know how they could have trouble with the OS, unless its something like the OS needs to recognize playing Switch games in normal handheld mode, Pro handheld mode, and then Pro console mode.

I think they need to look into the next generation of mobile hardware, but also look into developing the dock into being a useful piece of hardware that helps make the Switch get ready for the next gen.

Maybe they should release an updated Switch 2 that has a beefy CPU upgrade, and then introduce a new dock that has an adequate GPU.

23 minutes ago, jehurey said:

The rumors could be true. But, I think its probably the smarter choice for them to not do any sort of "mid-gen" refresh, and probably start thinking about making a significant overhaul in the hardware for 2020-2021.

I don't know how they could have trouble with the OS, unless its something like the OS needs to recognize playing Switch games in normal handheld mode, Pro handheld mode, and then Pro console mode.

I think they need to look into the next generation of mobile hardware, but also look into developing the dock into being a useful piece of hardware that helps make the Switch get ready for the next gen.

Maybe they should release an updated Switch 2 that has a beefy CPU upgrade, and then introduce a new dock that has an adequate GPU.

Switch to Sony or MS

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Remij_ said:

Can you update the thread title and the OP for me.    Turns out it was a miss-translation. 

The correct translation is that the next gen switch development will begin after the Switch Mini. 

Development on a “next-generation device that is a full model change of the current hardware” will reportedly follow the less expensive model. While Nintendo is said to be trying out various things—including operability and video expression improvements, operating system changes, and so on—development is currently in a state where “it is not clear who will lead the creation of the concept,” according to one developer.

2 hours ago, Goukosan said:

Can you update the thread title and the OP for me.    Turns out it was a miss-translation. 

The correct translation is that the next gen switch development will begin after the Switch Mini. 

Development on a “next-generation device that is a full model change of the current hardware” will reportedly follow the less expensive model. While Nintendo is said to be trying out various things—including operability and video expression improvements, operating system changes, and so on—development is currently in a state where “it is not clear who will lead the creation of the concept,” according to one developer.

So if the development isn't beginning until basically 2020 we're pretty much not going to see anything until 2022... 

91420d5d7817ee281b41a86579a3754f-leprech