Discussion - How can a Anaconda have a disc drive if Lockhart is discless

Brad Sams said Lockhart is discless, and the argument of "It just will" is not an arguement.

When 50%+ of your consoles sold don't have a disc drive no retailer is even going to bother to stock discs. This is noting that going by current gen over half of XBox owners are digital even with a disc drive, making it even more pointless.

What's the damage control for this going to be by the way? It's pretty much guaranteed at this point.

He never said that, also I doubt he actually knows, plus it's not happening. 

At worst there will be a discless variant of both Anaconda and Lockhart, and yes retailers are still going to stock discs even if 50% of a community is using a digital console, it's still a massive amount of revenue. 

It's not even close to guaranteed, you're trying to wish it into reality which reeks of desperation. 

Edited by Nya`

Let's go numbers.

1. NBX sells 10 million a year, over 50% are sales from the cheaper model that's guaranteed to be discless.

2. This leaves a few million XBoxes a year that could have a disc drive, so let's assume half which is 5 million. We know the digital attach ratio is way higher on Xbox. In the absolute best case scenario there is an audience of 1-2 million for discs.

3. Stocking and making disc based consoles simply becomes non viable. From his borderline non existent retail stocking for games, assembly line production, to a non existent hardware base with a drive.

4. XCloud and Gamepass imply a digital sub based ecosystem. Not even first party on discs makes sense for MS.

A discless Lockhart pretty much locks Anaconda out of a disc drive guaranteed, because it's simply non viable.

Just now, Team 2019 said:

Let's go numbers.

1. NBX sells 10 million a year, over 50% are sales from the cheaper model that's guaranteed to be discless.

2. This leaves a few million XBoxes a year that could have a disc drive, so let's assume half which is 5 million. We know the digital attach ratio is way higher on Xbox. In the absolute best case scenario there is an audience of 1-2 million for discs.

3. Stocking and making disc based consoles simply becomes non viable. From his borderline non existent retail stocking for games, assembly line production, to a non existent hardware base with a drive.

4. XCloud and Gamepass imply a digital sub based ecosystem. Not even first party on discs makes sense for MS.

A discless Lockhart pretty much locks Anaconda out of a disc drive guaranteed, because it's simply non viable.

You're going to try to rationalize any way you can no matter how obvious it is that at worst they're going to offer dual SKU's. 

37 minutes ago, Nya` said:

He never said that, also I doubt he actually knows, plus it's not happening. 

At worst there will be a discless variant of both Anaconda and Lockhart, and yes retailers are still going to stock discs even if 50% of a community is using a digital console, it's still a massive amount of revenue. 

It's not even close to guaranteed, you're trying to wish it into reality which reeks of desperation. 

Options is a myth, until something is forced. Numbers. It makes no sense when you're calculate them.

Until someone shows me how the numbers make any sense, I'll buy into it. Sony literally confirmed the disc drive first thing for a very good reason, it needs to be standard to be justified.

22 minutes ago, Nya` said:

You're going to try to rationalize any way you can no matter how obvious it is that at worst they're going to offer dual SKU's. 

The day Sony confirms PS5 having a disc drive, MS announces the first discless console ever. And I'm the only wishing things in. It's clear MS will push a bullshit agenda and lemmings will simply have to take it.

1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

Options is a myth, until something is forced. Numbers. It makes no sense when you're calculate them.

Until someone shows me how the numbers make any sense, I'll buy into it. Sony literally confirmed the disc drive first thing for a very good reason, it needs to be standard to be justified.

You're trippin', mandating a discless system flies in the face of their entire ethos, their support for backward compatibility scaling three generation, it abandons people who already have physical libraries, their focus on 4K entertainment and movies. They'll never mandate something stupid like this, it's just not going to happen. At the absolute maximum they'll offer the choice to people from day one, they can hit a $50 price disparity on each system from launch incentivizing it but by no means will they uproot their platform and mandate it.

You're nuts. 

5 minutes ago, Nya` said:

You're trippin', mandating a discless system flies in the face of their entire ethos, their support for backward compatibility scaling three generation, it abandons people who already have physical libraries, their focus on 4K entertainment and movies. They'll never mandate something stupid like this, it's just not going to happen. At the absolute maximum they'll offer the choice to people from day one, they can hit a $50 price disparity on each system from launch incentivizing it but by no means will they uproot their platform and mandate it.

You're nuts. 

They just launched a discless version  of a console after marketing 4K UHD as a defining feature for 3 years since 2016. BC is a non factor they already have a trade program coming. Gamepass and XCloud are the future, not shoving discs into your console from them. You're a retrograde peon to them.

Edited by Team 2019
Just now, Team 2019 said:

They just launched a discless version  of a console after marketing 4K UHD as a defining feature for 3 years since 2016. BC is a non factor they already have a trade program coming. Gamepass and XCloud are the future, not shoving discs into your console from them.

They launched a discless option, and that theorized trade program you're talking about will only be through Microsoft stores so you have to be in proximity to one, just like their financed promotions were.

You're flat out being stupid.  

Just now, Nya` said:

They launched a discless option, and that theorized trade program you're talking about will only be through Microsoft stores so you have to be in proximity to one, just like their financed promotions were.

You're flat out being stupid.  

Of course it's an option, the One has been out for 6 years. What the fuck do you expect. We are talking next gen here.

1 hour ago, Team 2019 said:

When 50%+ of your consoles sold don't have a disc drive no retailer is even going to bother to stock discs.

At my local Wal-Mart I can pick up Adele's entire discography on CD or vinyl, snag her live performance at the Royal Albert Hall in DVD or Blu-Ray, read the biography book about her in paperback or hardcover, and teach myself how to play her songs on a Ukulele (this only comes in paperback, though).

In a way, even though I sincerely doubt it, I hope MS DOES go completely disc-less.  Execute a vision free of bullshit optical media and spinning parts.  Create a smaller, dead silent console platform with perfectly balanced memory size and bandwidth, compute capability (per target resolution), and storage speed and capacity.  1080p sku for low end, and a 4K sku for the high end, and an extremely cheap streaming option for those who wish to go that route.

Usher in the fully digital age for consoles, and make Sony's shit seem loud, and noisy and archaic.  Dealing with discs is going to be so lame by the end of this coming gen lmao.

28 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

At my local Wal-Mart I can pick up Adele's entire discography on CD or vinyl, snag her live performance at the Royal Albert Hall in DVD or Blu-Ray, read the biography book about her in paperback or hardcover, and teach myself how to play her songs on a Ukulele (this only comes in paperback, though).

There are literally hundreds of brands making those though, and there is a huge legacy audience. We are talking about specific model for very specific games.

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

In a way, even though I sincerely doubt it, I hope MS DOES go completely disc-less.  Execute a vision free of bullshit optical media and spinning parts.  Create a smaller, dead silent console platform with perfectly balanced memory size and bandwidth, compute capability (per target resolution), and storage speed and capacity.  1080p sku for low end, and a 4K sku for the high end, and an extremely cheap streaming option for those who wish to go that route.

Usher in the fully digital age for consoles, and make Sony's shit seem loud, and noisy and archaic.  Dealing with discs is going to be so lame by the end of this coming gen lmao.

Discless PS4 doesn't seem to be in the cards, and Sony's biggest market Europe is very disc oriented. Looks like they'll just have a different strategy at this point.

MS has a huge digital presence in very digitally oriented markets. What would be a big lose to Sony, simply isn't to MS.

I also assume Live Premium will let you access XCloud with the same games on any device.

There are literally hundreds of brands making those though

How is that a positive? More brands means more distributors and a higher demand on the logistics side to get products onto shelves.

and there is a huge legacy audience.

Is there? What makes you think the market for CD/vinyl is bigger than Xbox One sales at retail? Physical music revenue was $1.18-billion in the US for 2018. Any split other than 50/50 would further disincentive stocking the lower performing format, so at best it's $590-million in revenue for each.

We are talking about specific model for very specific games.

NPD tracked game revenue (ie. more physical than digital) was $7.1-billion in the US for 2018. Even if we low ball the Xbox One to 20% of that revenue and assume 58% of Microsoft's share being digital, that's still $64-million more than CD or vinyl revenue in physical game sales.

The reality is that video games just don't take up enough space for it to really matter what the digital percentage is. I mean the typical display case at Wal-Mart is like 5' wide by 2' feet deep and has the hardware in it, too. Ten square feet of space that houses thousands of dollars in merchandise is really nothing when they've got more than that dedicated to a box of pool noddles 10 feet away they're selling for $3 a piece.

16 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Brad Sams said they are going to redesign the SAD sizewise later in the year. Which just reconfirms it being an emergency test run, not an actual product that's designed to sell as it's making goal.

He also said that Halo Infinite has Battle Royale and Frank O'Connor shot him down like 30 minutes after the video came out.

These people don't really know shit.