RDR2 crosses the line between fun and work in gaming , there's too much to do in this damned game.

so I'm about 10h into this game. left it back in november and now i'm starting to remember why.

these modern open world games have gotten too damn big for their own good. This game is a straight up lifestyle-replacement simulator, it's a fucking chore. I've been playing for 30 minutes now and i haven't even reached the next mission because i'm halfway across the 50km map and there's no fast travel.

-repeatedly mash X to make horse run 

-Horse gets tired

-I have to feed the horse a biscuit to replace his stamina

-get chased by bounty hunters

-have to pop a tonic to get my dead eye back

-still miles away from the next mission

-eventually make it but i'm wanted in the area and have to deal with bounty hunters on my ass

-have to go pay my debt off before i can proceed

the horse is so clunky to control, too. Absolute slog. this game has 0 respect for your time. Filing my taxes was more fun than this shit, this is fucking work. :D 

It’s pretty much why I stopped playing. Everything in the game including the most simple things feel like they take an age to do. Like even something as simple as searching the house at the beginning of the game felt like a chore.

I loved the first one so I really do wanna get back into it eventually. A few people told me it  really picks up after chapter 2 that you ignore it’s faults.

Edited by SegaGod
6 minutes ago, Nya` said:

This is honestly kind of shocking to me how many people feel this way, I'm on the road to beating it again and I've already put 76 hours into it. 

We all can't share the same taste. While I enjoyed RDR2 I can see how all the shores can bore some people, especially if they all have a lot going with their life. some people just want something more mindless.

32 minutes ago, Alphonse said:

We all can't share the same taste. While I enjoyed RDR2 I can see how all the shores can bore some people, especially if they all have a lot going with their life. some people just want something more mindless.

My problem with it was that all those mechanics actually were mindless imo. Holding or mashing X for 10 min prior to and after every mission was mindless af, same with all the long animations for actions that you repeat over and over. Making something so realistic also makes it incredibly mundane at it's core. If I ever look at games that really immersed me, the reasons for my immersion have never been realism of core mechanics. It's always been the environment, the characters in that setting, the stories the characters tell, etc. RDR2 was believable and immersive enough with just how alive their open world was. All the horrible (imo) gameplay choices they implemented took away from that for me. 

It's a huge time sink but the insane amount of details brings this game to life like no other game will for a very long time.

Most relaxing game I ever played, I was just cruising around most of the time and doing dumb shit, making my own fun.

But it really does feel like you need to put your real life on hold to continue it in this game :tom:

Arthur is also one of the best protagonists ever created, Sony mascots HBFR. I got newfound respect for Rockstar when I finished it because I never expected them to deliver like this, coming from juvenile shit like GTA :smoke: 

I enjoyed the game a lot more when I realized most of that maintenance type shit is optional. 

For the first 10 hours they make it seem like you absolutely gotta eat regularly, sleep, feed your horse, clean your horse, all that shit. Then you realize that...you don't. You don't even have to pay your debts really. 

4 hours ago, bhytre said:

It's a huge time sink but the insane amount of details brings this game to life like no other game will for a very long time.

Most relaxing game I ever played, I was just cruising around most of the time and doing dumb shit, making my own fun.

But it really does feel like you need to put your real life on hold to continue it in this game :tom:

Arthur is also one of the best protagonists ever created, Sony mascots HBFR. I got newfound respect for Rockstar when I finished it because I never expected them to deliver like this, coming from juvenile shit like GTA :smoke: 

Not sure if you beat it or not, spoilers. 

When Arthur died I teared up a bit, if there was one character I wanted to survive more than anyone it was him. As soon as his sickness set in I knew it wasn't going to end the way I wanted. He was the most believable protagonist I've seen in a game and I grew pretty attached to his character. When the epilogue hits with John I had trouble finishing it because it felt kind of unnecessary, the game already reached its peak with the main story and felt complete.

3 hours ago, Casual said:

I enjoyed the game a lot more when I realized most of that maintenance type shit is optional. 

For the first 10 hours they make it seem like you absolutely gotta eat regularly, sleep, feed your horse, clean your horse, all that shit. Then you realize that...you don't. You don't even have to pay your debts really. 

Every once in a long while I have small, short dreams (you have several dreams per night) that I'm in the game Bully, and I'm running around outside the school, and I'm missing all of the classes that I should be going to.

5 hours ago, Casual said:

yeah, i paid 1 bounty and that was it. i only did the missions (which some felt like work, anyhow). still, i loved the game so much. 

• Like 1