Next-gen what's your order of importance, to buy? MS Vs Sony

It's more of a general direction thread as to your buying priorities/interests.

Price

Exclusives

Power

Services

Backward compatibility

Features

Brand

People always argue that factor X and Y are going to determine gen Z. For example if power was important for PS4 then next gen power will be equally important, which I doubt it will. Or that if BC was huge for PS2, it would be equally important for PS3, PS4 or Wii U.

Reality proves that everything is more than just individual factors, and each gen each features important can widely vary. BC was huge for PS2, but PS3 it was such a no factor they had for remove it, and PS4 did just fine without it.

Anyways my list.

1. Brand - 4 gens in a row has provided the best console. Each time for varying reasons, but they are the only one of the three that can get everything right. Powerful hardware, full third party support from Western publishers to Japanese devs. Nintendo lacks in power and AAA Western support. XBox flatout misses out on 10s of awesome niche a year, it's an abysmal box if you don't want to exclusively be stuck with on AAA support.  First party is just icing on the cake. PlayStation is the most viable "main box" out there and you can't go wrong. Clearly aiming to be the last bastion of traditional gaming.

2. Backwards compatibility. Instant loading and boost mode to my huge library of games is just too appealing. No retro support for PS3, or GameCube etc is a huge dick slap across the face even in the era of remasters. 360 has BC for cool stuff like Lollipop Chainsaw, Dead Space, Nier but it's the damn wrong system to have it. All the exclusives are on PS1/PS2/PS3 and even Wii when you break down the numbers.

3. Exclusives. If I can play something on another box or even on a Stream, even if it's a Switch level port,I'm probably skipping your piece of hardware as there is too many providers of exclusive content to bother with your hardware. Real exclusives or gtfo.

4. Features/Services.   is a Sony/MS battle. MS will have instant XCloud access to your digital purchases, Gamepass don't care. PSVR2 would be very tempting, an offscreen PlayStation tablet if it doesnt suck. But most importantly no disc drive or carts, no buy. F2P games not requiring a sub would also be huge factor, big fuck you from Sony if they block this.

5. Power. I honestly don't care. I expect Sony to adequately power their next console, and a theoretical Lockhart MS box should be enough if you want to play exclusives. Not paying a premium when there is so much hardware to buy.

6. Price. I don't care what Sony prices, 400 or 500. MS, it's got to be much cheaper or more powerful, than a PC at that price. Either XBox model needs to pull something magical out their ass for me to choose over building a PC or a gaming laptop while paying for Live. On top of that they're going to have to have a good argument why I can't just use a one month sub to Gamepass and XCloud on Switch to play a single player game that lasts 10-15 hours.

Edited by Team 2019

Maybe I should have used a different word, not brand. But company strategy.

You can expect a new Mario or God of War or Halo game. You can expect Sony to make VR games, Nintendo to make shit like Labo and Wiisports. You can expect pretty much all publishers irrespective of region to support PlayStation etc while XBox gets dick from Japan and Western devs ignore Nintendo.

Edited by Team 2019
54 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Exclusives > Load Times > Controller > FPS > Features/Services > Graphics > Backwards Compatibility > Price >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brand

this, along as it gets the big multiplats too. 

1) Games. I'll put games instead of exclusives, the console with the best games usually has the best exclusives too but just in case there's some weird shift in the multiplat side of things.

2) Power. Needs to be reasonably future proof. Less concerned with overall power but more so where that power is allocated (ie. i want good load times, i don't need power dedicated specifically to features idgaf about, etc)

The rest are all relatively unimportant to me but..

3) Backwards compatibility. I only really care about this if it retroactively enhances the old games. Realistically I barely have time to play new games let alone old ones but it'd be nice enough to have during the transition period and the inevitable first/second year lulls.

4) Features/Services. Doubt it'll be anything I would really care about at this point. I use consoles for games and that's typically where it ends. Not interested in VR. 

5) Price. Don't care. Will only become a factor if there's somehow two boxes that are equal on 1/2 which won't happen.

6) Brand. This doesn't matter at all. Brand can be a driver of the categories we already ranked I suppose, but we already ranked them so

Why is Aza doing all of these threads and posts about all this next-gen console stuff?

Does he that that by starting 20 different conversations, we'll forget that he annoyed the everloving shit out of this whole forums with his dozens of threads hinting at PS5 coming out in 2019, and its definitely not going to happen?

This is the first gen I skipped consoles completely, so exclusives and BC matters most.

I get a PS5 after the first price drop/or model (slim version) and after they fixed all launch problems etc. 

lol... nobody is forgetting about Aza's 2019 campaign.. however, we have to actually wait until either it's properly unveiled with the release date, or Sony themselves confirm it's not releasing in 2019.  We all already know that it's not coming 2019, but we'll give it it's due course.  You never know what could happen.

Anyway, with consoles, it's simply about exclusives now.  I'll never give a shit about owning a console for anything that I can play better on my PC.  Idgaf about price.. I'd pay $600+ w/e.. so long as the hardware is badass.  If Xbox connected and did some cool shit with my PC and using the cloud and shit, that could convince me to buy one for the living room.  On Sony's side, I really love some of their games.  I simply have to play TLOU2 and Death Stranding.  If they release on PS5 at the same time as PS4.. then I'd buy a PS5 to play them.

But I'm really tired of owning consoles for just a couple games.  I don't want to fuck with them anymore.

I'll be using a PS5 for multiplats, obviously not getting an XBox or PC here. For some reason the zero load times aspect is honestly the most exciting aspect here for next gen, I know Sony will nail specs that are decent and won't disappoint in third party games.

The Division 2 with zero load times would be such a game changing experience. I think I'll save Days Gone, Spiderman and loading heavy open world games in my backlog for a PS5 playthrough.

17 hours ago, Remij_ said:

Sony themselves confirm it's not releasing in 2019.  

Mark Cerny said it's not coming in 2019. I agree that the announcement of the release date will finalize it, but it not being 2019 is confirmed.

Someone mentioned that Sony shipped out two very different specced Dev kits intially at the same time. Devs get to obviously make games for the operating system, for the ecosystem etc.

But this suggests that there was a major rethink of the PS5's design recently, and 2019 was the initial target that got scrapped for whatever reason.

I think the HBM2/DDR4 rumour is true, and getting the production cost down is just too damn appealing.

Edited by Team 2019

Game library is really the only thing I'm concerned about. I don't mind waiting a year or two until the system has a pretty healthy game library. I don't like waiting for games to come out, I like knowing that once I beat a game I can immediately play something else.