In MK11, it will cost you $6440 to buy every skin in the game without grinding

Let's assume you just want to finish the campaign, do every character tutorial and complete the basic towers. You do not want to do any grinding outside of this, but you want to unlock every skin in the game:

On average, one skin costs 500 Time Krystals, which costs $5 in the store. You can, of course, earn these, but they accumulate very slowly

Skins appear in the store on a rotational basis, where a set of five skins are made available for a limited period of time (usually 6 to 8 hours), then they are gone and you have to grind the towers to earn them. This adds to the urgency to quickly spend money on that skin you always wanted. For our calculations to be valid, we will assume you never see a duplicate skin in the store and you check the store every 6 hours or so

There are 23 characters in the game, each of which has 60 skins. But playing through the story, character tutorial and basic towers will usually unlock 4 of these, so we have 56 skins to unlock

So based on these, we get: 23 * 56 * 5 = $6440

Note that these calculations include the patch which the devs promised would solve the progression issues

This figure does not include: fatalities, brutalities, gear or single-use consumables because I have not figured out the exact drop rate for these

Why not just grind for the skins?

I got around 760 Time Krystals after 4 hours of play. At this rate, it will take me 3390 hours to unlock every skin. Sure, I could complete specific towers of time to get there faster. But like I explained in my previous post, these are near impossible to complete without rare or better gear and single use consumables, which themselves require more grinding.

Why the outrage over this? Previous MK games allowed you to pay for skins too...

In MKX, you could unlock all: skins, fatalities, brutalities and DLC characters for just $40. Yet in this game, you need $6440 just to unlock all the skins.

embarassed-for-u.gif

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

not surprised. their business model is one of the reasons why im skipping this game until its $20-$30.

It's also incredibly imbalanced pushing you towards purchases with a grind that bodes almost no progression. 

That's pretty shit . Idk how much koin you get for story mode but the towers dokt give you much .

You get 100k coin when you first go to the krypt and that doesn't last long 

9 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

That's pretty shit . Idk how much koin you get for story mode but the towers dokt give you much .

You get 100k coin when you first go to the krypt and that doesn't last long 

The Krypt is also completely RNG based whereas every incarnation of it previously was location based and fixed. So there's no longer any community around finding specific things or where they're located, saving up and hunting down things you want etc. It's all random now and you generally get a bunch of garbage.

They've turned Mortal Kombat into a $60 high production value mobile game. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
3 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It's also incredibly imbalanced pushing you towards purchases with a grind that bodes almost no progression. 

I can't even imagine how much of a mess the krypt is in this one. In mK9 the progression was perfect, you were constantly unlocking stuff and it always felt rewarding. Then in X they turned it into a massive grind. Regardless of how much I played it felt like i was getting nowhere,  it really dragged down the game for me and it seems that its even more of an unbalanced grindfest here.

Edited by Twinblade
  • Upvote 1

I get hyped for every new MK game because I get the feels from the early days , and I'm usually kinda disappointed with them .

The fighting in this one is the best it's ever been . It's a really good game .

Too bad they fucked up the other stuff . It's sad 

32 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I think it's like different piece so there's like 60 total but it's made up of masks, arm plates, armor, boots etc.

Oof, and they want $5 a piece for that? Fuck that.