Hermits help me make a PC for around $800

It's for my girlfriend. She's mostly going to use it for League of Legends and Overwatch. Nothing too graphics intensive but she might want some multimedia stuff so I'll be boosting the memory a little.

I'm thinking of these thus far:

i5-3570k

GTX 1060

16 GB DDR4

1TB SSD

Not quite sure for a motherboard or power unit. I have the tower already.

Couple things:

1) 1TB SSD might be overkill for that use case? Could probably save a lot of money just by dropping that down to a 500. I'd roll that money into a more modern processor BUT not a K since she probably won't need to overlock. 

Shit, I'd sell you one of my 290X's for like $60 if you just came and picked it up. If you were thinking of getting a 1060 or something that would save you like $140-$160 for comparable performance. It works perfect, got the box and everything included.

If she's just wanting to play League and Overwatch at what I assume is 1080p that would more than handle the load. She can play any modern game on it too without issue. 

1ca1583272314ab2842b03c670780c52.jpg

7bb153f6c3484732b4b23d62aab70b95.jpg

Edited by DynamiteCop!

Thanks @DynamiteCop!, I can probably get that. Did you overclock it?

And then maybe just get Ryzen 7 1700 for the CPU?

And yeah 1TB might be overkill and I can put 500 GB there instead and save a little.

I'm probably still getting most big AAA multiplats on console.

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

And yeah 1TB might be overkill and I can put 500 GB there instead and save a little.

I didn't run it perpetually overclocked or anything (I'm not big on GPU OC'ing) but I did it for benchmarks here and there. It works perfect, the only reason I replaced it was I went from two 290X's to a single Vega 64 because multi-GPU support is basically dead.

If you want to save like $140 its an option, one which you could dedicate that money to other aspects of the system or just save it and knock down build cost.

Edited by DynamiteCop!
2 hours ago, Ike said:

800-900 seems like way too much for the parts you listed. 

Keep checking on slickdeals....or wait for deals in general. Where you'll mess up is if you are impulsive and buy everything right away or from one place because of convenience. 

Power supplies are always going on sale. ram has been getting cheaper, and so are hard drives.

Ryzen 7 1700 and a decent B350 board that will allow you to overclock it to 4.0 should be good. Maybe a decent $20-30 air cooler. 

Best bang for the buck graphics card lately has been the rx 580 but I'd get that 290x 

You don't need a fancy case. Use the extra money you saved to buy speakers, etc, even a secondary hard drive with a larger capacity.

12 minutes ago, roflpwnedz said:

800-900 seems like way too much for the parts you listed. 

Keep checking on slickdeals....or wait for deals in general. Where you'll mess up is if you are impulsive and buy everything right away or from one place because of convenience. 

Power supplies are always going on sale. ram has been getting cheaper, and so are hard drives.

Ryzen 7 1700 and a decent B350 board that will allow you to overclock it to 4.0 should be good. Maybe a decent $20-30 air cooler. 

Best bang for the buck graphics card lately has been the rx 580 but I'd get that 290x 

You don't need a fancy case. Use the extra money you saved to buy speakers, etc, even a secondary hard drive with a larger capacity.

It doesn't really, that's just what things cost. I know you can wait for deals and build piece by piece but when asked for a build you're not going to do much better than that for what it is. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It doesn't really, that's just what things cost. I know you can wait for deals and build piece by piece but when asked for a build you're not going to do much better than that for what it is. 

I acquired peace by peace.

7 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Actually, you're probably right. After adding up the estimates of some parts it would be cheaper than 800 but not by as much as I thought.