PlayStation FY2018: 17.8M FY18 (96.8M LTD), +75% YoY profit, next generation development increase, reduce PS4 costs

:wow: 

Sony's FY2019 Plans:

• Increase in development expenses for the next generation console
  • PS4 hardware cost reduction

FY18 Results:

Gaming Revenue: $20.9B (+18.9% YoY from $17.53B FY17)
Gaming Operating Profit: $2.80B (+75.3% YoY from $1.60B FY17)

PS4 Shipped: 17.8M

PS4 LTD: 96.8M

PS+ Subscriptions: 36.4M

PSNow Subscriptions: 700K

1556259729-capture-d-ecran-2019-04-26-a-

Sony Operating Profit: $7.84B

Forecast:

Gaming Revenue: $20.9B

Gaming Operating Profit: $2.55B

PS4 Shipments: 16M

PS4 LTD: 112.8M

Other:

PS4's profit alone in FY18 generated more money than PS2's first 6 years.
First time PlayStation has generated more than $20B in revenue.

Digital software attach ratio highest in FY18 than any previous year.

PS4 tracking ahead of Wii and will be the fastest selling console to 100m in history.

1556261064-capture-d-ecran-2019-04-26-a-

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q4_sonypre.pdf

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/18q4_supplement.pdf

D5D1jIUUIAEXdp2.jpg

D5D2wYXUYAAPozG.jpg

D5D5EMGU8AAeM6o.jpg

Edited by lynux3

So FY 2018 17.8m PS4 vs 16.95m Switch sold. I'm surprised cos Switch is totally outselling PS4 by a huge margin in the 2 largest markets NA and Japan. The rest of world market must be a lot bigger than we thought hmm..

17 minutes ago, Pureis said:

So FY 2018 17.8m PS4 vs 16.95m Switch sold. I'm surprised cos Switch is totally outselling PS4 by a huge margin in the 2 largest markets NA and Japan. The rest of world market must be a lot bigger than we thought hmm..

Yeah, in it's fifth year.

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Switch not only didn't hit their initial forecast, it didn't even hit their adjusted forecast :tom:

:kaz: 

Goob was sure they were going to hit it too. :mj: 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Pureis said:

PS4 was ahead in the US all year... Switch squeaked out a victory in the last two months.   The only place Switch was ahead all year was Japan. 

In the end they were neck and neck with less than a million between them WW :whew:

4 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Switch not only didn't hit their initial forecast, it didn't even hit their adjusted forecast :tom:

Weren't you just arguing with me this week that PS4 had a bigger decline than Xbox1 last year and I told your dumbass that PS4 sold the most.... now look at the PS4 results... forever wrong DynamiteCop :mj:

I know this 3 million Switch's will be sold for the Holiday Season, only 11 million for the year, Xbox1 will outsell Switch in 2018, Switch is falling of a cliff anyday now guy isn't talking :rofls:

1 hour ago, Team 2019 said:

Sony made a forecast PS4 will sell more this fiscal year than last year.

So it means 200 Super Slim and I assume TLOU2 is this year.

16m is more than 16m (readjusted to 17m)? Interesting.

14 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Lol no one really streams. The only reason it's growing is that they added a download game feature.

Sony will talk about their game streaming strategy at their Corporate Strategy Day next month / PSNow at 700K subscribers, 40%+ annual growth

40% is pretty insane. I'm thinking these are people wanting to test out streaming before other services arrive. Probably the biggest growth spurt that the service has ever seen.

21 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Don't forget PSS4 has been on a decline all year. So it means some sort of nuclear change is coming. Only one that makes sense is the 200 Super Slim rumour. TLOU2 is Sony's biggest franchise, those two things are the only ones that make sense imo.

I don't see a PS4 price reduction simply because Sony is wanting to reduce cost of the system to offset lower sales they're forecasting, but it would be the right move for a price drop, IMO. Possibly a redesign of the PCB for both PS4 and Pro in a smaller chassis. PS4 at $199.99 and Pro at $299.99, but that seems like wishful thinking.

3 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

Sony made a forecast PS4 will sell more this fiscal year than last year.

So it means 200 Super Slim and I assume TLOU2 is this year.

No their forecast is 16m for this FY. They sold 17.8m last FY.

1 hour ago, Team 2019 said:

They added a download feature so it's basically game pass. That's why PSnow grewm it didn't grow because of the streaming feature.

Doesn't matter, +40% is a significant increase. There is value there and I expect it to be a hybrid service moving forward.