Sony updated PlayStation 3's total sales, putting it ahead of Xbox 360.

2 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

The last reported individual figure from Microsoft was the sale of 84 million in June 2014

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-399-xbox-one-out-now-xbox-360-sales-rise-to-84-million/1100-6420231/

The last reported figure from Sony was 80 million in November of 2013

https://www.polygon.com/2013/11/6/5072670/sony-ships-80-million-ps3-units-worldwide

Sony never reported another individual figure beyond the sale of 80 million units, after that it merged into their total data encompassing the PlayStation 4 so no further numbers could be derived, Microsoft did something similar. There's a 7 month gap in the data with the 360 being 4 million in the green, no one knows what the PS3 sold in that period of time, and no one until today knew what it sold total. There's another roughly 2 years of Xbox 360 sales data not accounted for after their 84 million release.

It's still unknown which actually sold more, this information released today doesn't get anyone closer to knowing which sold more. Unless Microsoft comes out with it directly it will remain forever unknown. 

The PS4 numbers are well known.... the numbers can be subtracted to get the PS3 number.... nice try. 

I'll Google it later to find it. 

Nov 2013 is not the last official number for PS3 that Sony gave..... interestingly.... MS number for 360 was also at 80 million Nov 2013.

PS3 launched a year and a half after 360 and was able to catch it and surpass it in the end... which tells me the PS3 sold at a faster rate than 360.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Deeno getting owned on NeoGAF about this too.  

So.  SONY Still lost last gen by not winning North America.

Has MS updated their sales of the XBOX360? We haven't gotten one since 2014 or something right (system wasn't discontinued until end of 2016) ? Any way, the XBOX360 sold twice as much software as the

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

The PS4 numbers are well known.... the numbers can be subtracted to get the PS3 number.... nice try. 

I'll Google it later to find it. 

Nov 2013 is not the last official number for PS3 that Sony gave..... interestingly.... MS number for 360 was also at 80 million Nov 2013.

PS3 launched a year and a half after 360 and was able to catch it and surpass it in the end... which tells me the PS3 sold at a faster rate than 360.

You're not going to find it because it wasn't just mixed with PS4, it was mixed in with "gaming hardware". Also no, Microsoft's was 84 million in June 2014, they were at 80 million in October which was a month before Sony.

1 hour ago, DynamiteCop! said:

No facts support this one way or the other, there's nearly two years of 360 data missing. It's impossible to derive which system sold more. 

Take that up with Microsoft, that's not my problem.

9 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

They are so close in sales it doesn't even matter. It's like of Xbox and GameCube did 20 something millions, who cares about the details.

It doesn't but even the GameCube is kind of a bad example, that's a difference in the millions. Whatever the actual outcome of this was probably rests in the tens of thousands. Sony ended at 87.4 million shipped, Microsoft's last report was June of 2014 at 84 million shipped, that leaves them 18-24 months of sales not accounted for. That's a pretty small gap and a lot of time to fill it, especially with relevant releases and crossgen titles still being a reality. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
4 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

LMAO, cows finally acknowledge that Xbox 360 beat PS3 last gen.   

I remember all you cows were doing your hot-dogging and show boating when I showed you the VGChartz numbers.  

360 is one of the goat consoles. i loved my ps3 but 360 destroyed it.

right up there with ps2, dc, nes

4 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Deeno getting owned on NeoGAF about this too. :drake: 

You live in an alternate reality, I'm the only one being rational. 

Sales momentum is not linear though, it's not a metric of physics like it is in the real world. Trends change, interests change and can on a dime so it really is impossible to speculate about that.

I mean look at NPD for a 6/7 month period after its 84 million announcement, just in that time the 360 moved 729,000 units and that's with October data missing, in the US it was handily beating the PS3. NPD went dark after this for PS360 but that's basically 800k in the US just for the rest of 2014, the US was roughly 60% of the 360's market so that leaves the rest of the world. The system was still in production for another 16 months beyond this and shipments no doubt went out even beyond that for at least a few months.

I mean that's at least 1.1 million in 7 months.

There's no reason to think the PS3 beat it, and there's no reason to think the 360 beat the PS3. It's so up in the air with the remainder of missing data that it's just not possible to say one way or the other in any kind of definitive manner that one for sure did better than the other.

June 2014

360 - 62k

PS3 - 42k

July 2014

360 - 54k

PS3 - 32k

August 2014

360 - ~50k

PS3 - ~27k

September 2014

360 - 63k

PS3 - 35k

October 2014

Unknown

November 2014

360 ~ 310K

PS3 ~ 89K

December 2014

360 ~ 190k+

PS3 Unknown

Edited by DynamiteCop!
2 hours ago, Pureis said:

Who cares. All we know for sure is Wii slaughtered both of them.

The Wii was a fad that died quickly.

But the lemmings are desperate for a win and after yesterday's updated figures that shot down their Hope & Dreams of ever winning a generation. :tom: 

3 hours ago, lynux3 said:

The Wii was a fad that died quickly.

But the lemmings are desperate for a win and after yesterday's updated figures that shot down their Hope & Dreams of ever winning a generation. :tom: 

Died quickly yet sold over 100 million and won the gen? 

MS would love that 100 million selling fad... so much so that they bet on Kinect harrrd to the point that it hamstrung Xbox1 :rofls:

7 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Died quickly yet sold over 100 million and won the gen? 

MS would love that 100 million selling fad... so much so that they bet on Kinect harrrd to the point that it hamstrung Xbox1 :rofls:

Yeah, in its third and fourth year it just blew the fuck up and literally "fell off a cliff" the following years. Insane amount of sales, but ultimately it ended up being exactly what it was (albeit with great games)... a fad. :shrug:  Everyone I know who had a Wii never played it beyond Wii Sports and some Nintendo exclusives (like SMG). I probably won't ever turn mine on again... nothing about it interests me and I wish they'd bring SMG over to the Switch.

Microsoft and Sony both tried to get in on it and both failed. 10 years later and the PlayStation Move actually has a purpose with VR... Microsoft took it to the next level though and bet on their next generation system with it. What a bunch of dumbasses. :kaz: 

Edited by lynux3