Why are all the USB / PCIe Wifi adapters sold here in NA are garbage?

Do any of you use Wifi for any Desktop PCs?

Bought a ASUS usb-AC53 AC1200 adapter, it worked for about a week and now I get piss poor internet speeds.  I look further into this issue and see that it no longer detects my 5G band broadcast.  Going to return this crap tomorrow back to Best Buy. 

Was looking at other Wifi adapters to buy to replace but was getting anxiety from seeing how all the others had some degree of unadvertised issue from 1-star reviewers, all collectively suggesting not to buy device. 

So you concluded that every adapter sold in North America is garbage because you had issues with it and then looked at every other adapter's one star reviews? :|

I can't really say I've had any issues with wireless adapters. From the Microsoft MN-510 when wireless was taking off, ALFA "hacking" one, Realtek usb one, to the last one that was a used pci-e tp-link with 3 antennas...of which one was loose...they've all worked fine.

Keep troubleshooting. Or just return it. |:

Edited by roflpwnedz

Yeah wired is best but if not possible there are other options.. Just need the layout of your wireless setup.  Distance from router? different floors? How many walls between?

Sometimes it's just easier to set up an access point in your location of the house or apartment.  Many things to consider but if it's not working with any wireless adapter then you will have to consider what I'm saying in order to eventually have wireless access from that location.  Either that or move to another part of the house/apartment with better reception.

Edited by Spicalicious

Are you sure it isn't a driver issue? And that you have all the settings correct? That was my first guess.

Searching on google resulted people asking about similar adapters and yes, it was a driver problem. Apparently there can be driver from the vendor (Asus) but also drivers from the chipmakers and then also the ones that windows installs by default.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_USB-AC53

Also, it is USB 2.0 :x

Edited by roflpwnedz
6 minutes ago, roflpwnedz said:

Are you sure it isn't a driver issue? And that you have all the settings correct? That was my first guess.

Searching on google resulted people asking about similar adapters and yes, it was a driver problem. Apparently there can be driver from the vendor (Asus) but also drivers from the chipmakers and then also the ones that windows installs by default.

If it was a driver issue then it likely wouldn't work at all.  He says it's slow so it sounds more like a distance/walls/pipes issue.  You can screw around with drivers or use a laptop to test this adapter's connectivity.  Plug it into a laptop and walk around to test the wireless reception in different areas of the house.

Edited by Spicalicious
1 hour ago, roflpwnedz said:

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_USB-AC53

Also, it is USB 2.0 :x

I'm sure it's not driver, I downloaded the latest file from ASUS already and installed it, I thought since it had a recent 2018 date on it from the website that it would replaced the Microsoft signed driver that was installed the device with 2016 driver date with, but IT DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  Same 2016 dated driver file after the driver install. 

I'm sure it's the device because when I initially used it last week, it was connecting to my 802.11ac 5Ghz band.   Early this morning when I got off work and turned on the TV and tried to watch some Youtube videos that were coming up 480p low quality, when I tried to go 1080p it was stuttering video like crazy.  Looked and saw it connected to the 2.4GHz 802.11n band.  So I disabled that band today, broadcasting only the 5Ghz band, and too my dismay, it doesn't pick up  my Access Point. 

My 2015 DELL 5000 Inspiron has no issue with my wifi and stayed connected throughout the entire time to my 802.11ac 5GHz band.   So I know it's the USB adapter that's garbage.  

Edited by The Mother Fucker
1 hour ago, Spicalicious said:

Yeah wired is best but if not possible there are other options.. Just need the layout of your wireless setup.  Distance from router? different floors? How many walls between?

Sometimes it's just easier to set up an access point in your location of the house or apartment.  Many things to consider but if it's not working with any wireless adapter then you will have to consider what I'm saying in order to eventually have wireless access from that location.  Either that or move to another part of the house/apartment with better reception.

The distance between the AT&T Router and this Desktop PC is no longer than 35 feet at best all on the same floor in an apartment. 

2 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Wireless :lawl:

nonbootedpatchcablegraylarge_503869ea-11

That would be ideal, but in this case, it's a special living room PC and I don't want wires running across for this. 

I realize ultimately, it is not wise to look for USB Wifi adapters, the convenience factor overweight the practicality of them.  

I just bought this on ebay 

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GC-WB1733D-I-rev-10#ov

Could not find a single seller in US selling this. So it looks like there are some good Wifi cards out there, they are not sold here in the Americas.  Which is why I wrote this thread.

Just now, The Mother Fucker said:

That would be ideal, but in this case, it's a special living room PC and I don't want wires running across for this. 

I realize ultimately, it is not wise to look for USB Wifi adapters, the convenience factor overweight the practicality of them.  

I just bought this on ebay 

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GC-WB1733D-I-rev-10#ov

Could not find a single seller in US selling this. So it looks like there are some good Wifi cards out there, they are not sold here in the Americas.  Which is why I wrote this thread.

I've fed everything under the carpet/trim and door thresholds. It's not that difficult and you'll never see it. 

1 hour ago, The Mother Fucker said:

I'm sure it's not driver, I downloaded the latest file from ASUS already and installed it, I thought since it had a recent 2018 date on it from the website that it would replaced the Microsoft signed driver that was installed the device with 2016 driver date with, but IT DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  Same 2016 dated driver file after the driver install. 

I'm sure it's the device because when I initially used it last week, it was connecting to my 802.11ac 5Ghz band.   Early this morning when I got off work and turned on the TV and tried to watch some Youtube videos that were coming up 480p low quality, when I tried to go 1080p it was stuttering video like crazy.  Looked and saw it connected to the 2.4GHz 802.11n band.  So I disabled that band today, broadcasting only the 5Ghz band, and too my dismay, it doesn't pick up  my Access Point. 

My 2015 DELL 5000 Inspiron has no issue with my wifi and stayed connected throughout the entire time to my 802.11ac 5GHz band.   So I know it's the USB adapter that's garbage.  

Yeah some of the posts on amazon were saying that the documentation doesn't specify that that adapter can only use only one of the bands at a time. You disabled that band completely? Not just disabling the broadcasting? Did you try changing the channels? What about changing the adapter settings to just 5ghz?

Either way, yeah seems like that adapter is crap and old. Get a pci-e or usb3 one. Probably not worth what you bought it for brand new from best buy

Edited by roflpwnedz
30 minutes ago, roflpwnedz said:

Yeah some of the posts on amazon were saying that the documentation doesn't specify that that adapter can only use only one of the bands at a time. You disabled that band completely? Not just disabling the broadcasting? Did you try changing the channels? What about changing the adapter settings to just 5ghz?

Either way, yeah seems like that adapter is crap and old. Get a pci-e or usb3 one. Probably not worth what you bought it for brand new from best buy

oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I also forced the wifi adapter to do 802.11ac and 802.11a/c/n and it found no wireless access point unless I set it to Auto and had the 2.4GHz band enabled.  The 5GHz band completely stopped working.