Digital Foundry: Switch 'Boost Mode' Analysis: Is Nintendo Overclocking Switch Hardware?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-nintendo-switch-boost-mode-analysis

"it's now confirmed that Nintendo is selectively overclocking its hardware - or more precisely, opening up new options for developers to beef up portable performance while at the same time playing with thermal management and CPU clocks to speed up loading times."

current available Switch profiles;

screenshot_2019-05-09jtkqh.png

Potential future profiles;

SysClk also allows us to test the water for other potential overclocking vectors that Nintendo may wish to explore in future. There does seem to be a 1224MHz CPU clock mode officially supported.

What I also find quite intriguing is that the potential is also there for Nintendo to increase memory bandwidth in mobile mode. The EMC (embedded memory controller) runs at 1600MHz when docked, dropping to 1331MHz during portable play. This can be locked to 1600MHz in mobile mode via SysClk with very little impact to battery life - and in select circumstances, it can help game performance. 

As for docked play, the Maxwell GPU in Tegra X1 can be clocked at 921MHz - another 20 per cent uplift over the standard spec. 

stories of a Switch boost mode are indeed on the money.... Selective CPU overclocking to 1785MHz helps loading times, but a 1224MHz option could become available in future for the games that need it. Meanwhile, a 20 per cent uplift in GPU clocks yields dividends for more demanding mobile experiences.

Edited by Goukosan
5 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

This isn't going to save Switch when next generation launches. Nintendo will need to release new hardware if they want to continue to get their ports.

No shit

That upgraded model they plan on releasing will probably just be the switch in boost mode permanently with a larger battery to compensate, probably a 1080p screen and more storage too. I don't see a Switch too until 2021 at the earliest. 

6 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

This isn't going to save Switch when next generation launches. Nintendo will need to release new hardware if they want to continue to get their ports.

i think a upgraded switch should be ok

9 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

No shit

Don't get your panties in a knot over there. It's not like Switch's major 3rd party support is worth a shit anyways.

Just now, lynux3 said:

Don't get your panties in a knot over there. It's not like Switch's major 3rd party support is worth a shit anyways.

hes not wearing any...anymore

This is probably what they were going to do with the Switch "Pro" model. Chances are the battery in portable mode would fall to 2 hours or lower.

But they may need to for upcoming games during 2019-2020.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

This is probably what they were going to do with the Switch "Pro" model. Chances are the battery in portable mode would fall to 2 hours or lower.

But they may need to for upcoming games during 2019-2020.

I disagree.  I imagine they will go with the Tergra X2 as it is far more power efficient and update the gpu to 1256 cuda cores and double the ram to 8gigs

1 hour ago, lostfool said:

I disagree.  I imagine they will go with the Tergra X2 as it is far more power efficient and update the gpu to 1256 cuda cores and double the ram to 8gigs

It would make it easier for developers though. same hardware just better performance. the X2 will be in Switch 2.