Former Uncharted, Last of Us game designer joins Xbox Game Studios' The Initiative

I have a feeling MS is allowing these people to go wild with whatever it is they want to do.  Or they may have very organized goals.  Money is no object for Microsoft at this time.  This is a huge investment for them and they are going all in.  I'm sure we will see spectacular things.  :hsmoke:

Edited by Spicalicious
5 minutes ago, Spicalicious said:

I have a feeling that MS is allowing these people to go wild with whatever it is they want to do.  Money is no object from Microsoft's standpoint.  I'm sure we will see spectacular things.  MS going all in. :hsmoke:

That was basically what they said, they are granting these studios autonomy and large budgets with the ability to hire people so they can create what it is they want to. There's no doubt oversight so they're kept in the loop but from the sound of it they're not meddling in decisions. 

Here are some other notable people The Initiative has taken in.

Brian Westergaard - Lead Producer/Senior Producer on ROTR and Senior Managing Producer on God of War

Christian Cantamessa - Leader Writer and Designer on Red Dead Redemption

Tom Shepherd - Technical director at Rockstar games (RDR GTA)

Chris O'Neill - Senior level designer at Santa Monica and Kojima Production

Drew Murray - Lead designer at Insomniac games

Daniel Neuburger - Game director at Crystal Dynamics for 12 years.

Edited by DynamiteCop!
2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

That was basically what they said, they are granting these studios autonomy and large budgets with the ability to hire people so they can create what it is they want to. There's no doubt oversight so they're kept in the loop but from the sound of it they're not meddling in decisions. 

I say just let them run with it.. They aren't hiring beginners here.  They've got seasoned developers and designers with proven track records.  They'll just let them go wild and be creative. 

Edited by Spicalicious
4 minutes ago, Spicalicious said:

I say just let them go.. They aren't hiring beginners here.  They've got seasoned developers and designers with proven track records.  They'll just let them run.

This could harken back to the days of quality AA and AAA development not just for Microsoft but for the industry in general. Even though some of the studios Microsoft has picked up are not anything considered special or amazing from the sound of it they have freedom of control and creation which means we'll see a lot of really interesting games, risks, a host of variance not seen since the early 2000's. 

Nintendo is cookie cutter, Sony is cookie cutter, the AAA third party market is cookie cutter, they're all safe and predictable. I want to see Microsoft and Xbox Game Studios become the wildcard. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Is this a joke thread? 

Kind of, it's a Lemming thread; which for the last four years have been both simultaneously. th_Gearsben.png 

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

So now lemmings are fans of Sony Santa Monica, Insomniac and Naughty Dog 'movie games' aye :danylol:

i still aint. last of us is garbo. its a game for lesbians who dont game.

15 hours ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Kind of, it's a Lemming thread; which for the last four years have been both simultaneously. th_Gearsben.png 

It definitely is a joke/troll thread. I mean... does anyone really believe this shit?

Nintendo is cookie cutter, Sony is cookie cutter, the AAA third party market is cookie cutter, they're all safe and predictable. I want to see Microsoft and Xbox Game Studios become the wildcard.

This is the epitome of Hopes & Dreams™ laced in delusion. :mj: 

Edited by lynux3
34 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

It definitely is a joke/troll thread. I mean... does anyone really believe this shit?

This is the epitome of Hopes & Dreams™ laced in delusion. :mj: 

i do :mjgrin: i want ms to turn around