Red Dead Redemption 2 (24 million sold + 1.09 patch)

With a camera you can see the difference straight away which is also evident to the eye, this is a direct view capture from my KS8000. SDR has far less color range and more gray comes through, the sky is more gray than blue, the foliage and grass is more gray, blacks are also crushed and detail is lost in the dark (look in the center of the foremost tree to the left and the middle of Arthur's back).

Another revelation I also discovered is when in SDR mode it has a sharpening filter applied which is not in effect with HDR and results in undesirable edge artifacts.

This is captured from a single save immediately after load, same ToD, same location, same sun position and the sun is fully unobscured in both.

P.S. Don't mind the apparent light bleed in the HDR shot on the edges, it's not visible to the eye but the camera picks it up.

32921506837_dda2d5a4ef_o.png

32921506437_9406d8b506_o.png
4 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

All I care about is that it's far better than the original implementation and from my tinkering with it it's better than the SDR mode now which is what really matters. That sharpening filter discovery in SDR was kind of strange, I wonder why it's there and not in HDR.

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

All I care about is that it's far better than the original implementation and from my tinkering with it it's better than the SDR mode now which is what really matters. That sharpening filter discovery in SDR was kind of strange, I wonder why it's there and not in HDR.

That's EvilBoris's take on it. He's pretty happy with the results and basically says it's night and day difference. Of course he wants improvements in some areas, but looks like Rockstar nailed it.

On 2019-05-15 at 9:13 PM, DynamiteCop! said:

Yeah it's probably the best looking game ever created not to mention the most impressively running. The draw distance is absolutely nuts as well, when you go to the highest peaks you can see everything and none of it looks like low poly swaps. How they got this to native 4K with a solid framerate is pretty baffling. 

Yeah, it’s the best mix of technical magic and artistic design I’ve seen this gen (the one x version) 

On 2019-05-16 at 9:58 PM, -GD- said:

Yeah, it’s the best mix of technical magic and artistic design I’ve seen this gen (the one x version) 

Fired it up with the new HDR

God damn St Denis at night is unreal 

Edited by Vini