Sony and Microsoft to explore strategic partnership regarding cloud-based tech for gaming & AI

Under the memorandum of understanding signed by the parties, the two companies will explore joint development of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services. In addition, the two companies will explore the use of current Microsoft Azure datacenter-based solutions for Sony’s game and content-streaming services. By working together, the companies aim to deliver more enhanced entertainment experiences for their worldwide customers. These efforts will also include building better development platforms for the content creator community.

This is the same Sony that up until a few months ago, didn't even allow cross-play. Didn't allow for EA Access until recently.

And they have a joint agreement with Microsoft?

The only way that happens is if Sony has been assured that Microsoft is not going to be directly competing against them in traditional gaming hardware.

By the way, Aza posted a real story. Its up on the Verge.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/16/18628090/microsoft-sony-cloud-gaming-ai-partnership

here are the two CEOs shaking hands

MS_Exec_NadellaSony_CEO_Kenichiro_Yoshid

Edited by jehurey

So, the one thing that Microsoft had an advantage over Sony and other companies cloud services were their Azure servers.

And they just made a deal to essentially lease their data center for Sony to run their existing cloud gaming service on there.

Chances are Sony was already leasing data center space from some other provider, and they decided to move to another provider, Microsoft.

Edited by jehurey
15 minutes ago, Voidler said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if all of the big 3 are now looking at ways of consolidating the oligopoly and gating out Google, Amazon and whoever else tries to take a swing at the market

They will be work together for cross play, cross progression of 3rd party multis and streaming of MS 1st party games (MS wants to stream on everything) 

But don't count on seeing Sony or Nintendo first party games on other hardware. 

1 hour ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Is Sony abandoning AWS?

Probably. Azure is probably a better fit for low-lag applications for data that is being sent in both directions.  So it suits gaming companies.

I doubt AWS offers a tailored service. You're just piggybacking off of the same servers that Amazon uses for all of their stuff (retail shopping, music streaming, video streaming).

Sony needs Microsoft.  They're lucky that MS is giving them this leg up because Sony has no fucking clue about how to proceed in terms of networking and cloud based gaming.

They have become Microsoft's customer.   Microsoft is the kind of company that likes to cohabitate with their competitors.  They play nice.

Back when Apple was dying in the late 90s Microsoft helped them out. One of their biggest competitors besides linux at the time and invested a fuckton of money into Apple non voting shares to help keep them alive.  MS helped save the company.

MS was maybe accused of being a monopoly in the late 90s early 2000s but you can't say that they don't help their competitors when they're down and out.

Sure MS has nothing to worry about with their war chest and constant income from software licensing.  It's nice when the big man helps the little huh?

I guess it all comes down to the great founder Mr. Bill Gates.  This is a great man.  Eradicating disease from entire continents FFS.  

I'm proud to support Microsoft and their endeavors.

:tom5:

Edited by Spicalicious
5 hours ago, jehurey said:

So, the one thing that Microsoft had an advantage over Sony and other companies cloud services were their Azure servers.

And they just made a deal to essentially lease their data center for Sony to run their existing cloud gaming service on there.

Chances are Sony was already leasing data center space from some other provider, and they decided to move to another provider, Microsoft.

you're a sad bitch. MS are the good guys.. can't you see that?  But why you hatin>?

Edited by Spicalicious
4 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Is Sony abandoning AWS?

It doesn't sound like it, but it does sound like Sony wants to expand outside of AWS. AWS's services have a limited reach and since Microsoft leases the most DC space out of the big cloud providers it makes the most sense to explore in that direction. I can't blame Sony for not going with Google, not because of Stadia, but because Google Cloud is a goddamn mess.

5 hours ago, jehurey said:

No, there's nothing particularly special about an Azure server versus any other virtual machine in any other cloud service provider. A server is only good as its owner's application.

The reality is Sony is probably looking to expand and AWS's service has a limited footprint, so the next best option is Azure. Microsoft leases the most DC space of anyone, and when I say lease I mean they pay someone so they can use their DC space, fill that space out and then provide their services or space for their clients. So naturally they'll have a much bigger reach than AWS or at least in areas where Sony wants to expand.

3 hours ago, jehurey said:

Probably. Azure is probably a better fit for low-lag applications for data that is being sent in both directions.  So it suits gaming companies.

I doubt AWS offers a tailored service. You're just piggybacking off of the same servers that Amazon uses for all of their stuff (retail shopping, music streaming, video streaming).

That's not how it works; especially for a huge client like Sony. I assume you also think that Netflix piggypacks off of customers' shopping carts too?

Edited by lynux3
59 minutes ago, Spicalicious said:

Sony needs Microsoft.  They're lucky that MS is giving them this leg up because Sony has no fucking clue about how to proceed in terms of networking and cloud based gaming.

Yeah, a company with no clue despite having the biggest gaming network, a cloud game streaming service, an IPTV service and even operates a fiber-powered ISP in Japan. Yeah, Sony has no clue about networking or cloud based gaming. :roll:

Microsoft probably courted them by personally providing blow jobs to each Sony executive in the amount of the difference between PlayStation 4 sales versus Xbox One sales.

• Sad 1
30 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Yeah, a company with no clue despite having the biggest gaming network, a cloud game streaming service, an IPTV service and even operates a fiber-powered ISP in Japan. Yeah, Sony has no clue about networking or cloud based gaming. :roll:

Microsoft probably courted them by personally providing blow jobs to each Sony executive in the amount of the difference between PlayStation 4 sales versus Xbox One sales.

Microsoft's primary business is based off networked operating systems.  Most large companies are using some variant of their operating systems as well as server products, back office, Microsoft Intune for managing cell phones on a network. etc.. Active Directory, Domain controllers.  Based on networks of sometimes hundreds of thousands of computers.  All Microsoft and the majority of all companies in the world.  Probably near 90% worldwide adoption in all manner of businesses. By the way, the domain controller you're authenticating against when you log on to your computer at work is running Microsoft server.  Microsoft has been doing this shit since 1975.

Buh buh sony is betta at networking and building a software infrastructure around hardware - Lynux3 :cry:

1 minute ago, Spicalicious said:

Microsoft's primary business is based off networked operating systems.  Most large companies are using some variant of their operating systems as well as server products, back office, Microsoft Intune for managing cell phones on a network. etc.. Active Directory, Domain controllers.  Based on networks of sometimes hundreds of thousands of computers.  All Microsoft and the majority of all companies in the world.  Probably near 90% worldwide adoption in all manner of businesses. By the way, the domain controller you're authenticating against when you log on to your computer at work is running Microsoft server.  Microsoft has been doing this shit since 1975.

Buh buh sony is betta at networking and building a software infrastructure around hardware - Lynux3 :cry:

No, I use LDAP you filthy slob, now move along with your highly inaccurate viewpoint and terrible propaganda. :scust:

Who here has to use a computer to do their Job?

I should start a poll.  What do you use:

Windows

Linux

Apple

I'm willing to bet a million dollars that the majority of you use Windows.. And your Windows operating system might need to authenticate against a domain controller running Microsoft Windows server.  And then when you start your Microsoft Outlook to get your email you're connecting to the Microsoft Exchange servers.  Then, software updates to hundreds of thousands of computers in a corporation are deployed through Microsoft SCCM.  You want to do cloud computing?  What should you use?  Well you use Azure. of course.  Why wouldn't Microsoft's own Azure not be the best option for business cloud computing.. optimal compatibility with existing systems and infrastructure.   And trust me I know it's taking off.   90% of all corporations and businesses are run like this.  Large companies with hundreds of thousands of users.  Microsoft has a proven track record and their shit is on point.  They've been in control for decades :D 

Let that sink in.  Who really runs this shit?

Edited by Spicalicious