Super Mario 64

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I still play it regularly, outside of Super Mario Bros. 3 it's the best Mario game for sure. 

So do I. It seems like every year I get the itch to play Super Mario 64 again. Only other Mario game that comes close are the SMGs. Super Mario Bros. 2, 3 and World are also up there.

Just now, lynux3 said:

So do I. It seems like every year I get the itch to play Super Mario 64 again. Only other Mario game that comes close are the SMGs. Super Mario Bros. 2, 3 and World are also up there.

I've still never gotten all the stars, I would always get to 70 beat the game and then pick it up again and start over lol. 

30 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Sunshine was such a letdown on the back of 64....

Yeah.

In Sunshines defense though, I think the only 3D Mario that could have followed 64 and not been a letdown would be Galaxy, and I'm not even sure about that. 

1 minute ago, Casual said:

Yeah.

In Sunshines defense though, I think the only 3D Mario that could have followed 64 and not been a letdown would be Galaxy, and I'm not even sure about that. 

Sunshine is clearly an "evolution" of 64, I mean you can feel that game in so many aspects of its design it was just executed horribly.

5 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Sunshine was such a letdown on the back of 64....

Anything would have been.  But yea.. it was.

Super Mario 64 was just incredible.  What a fucking time to be a gamer :wow2: 

12 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Anything would have been.  But yea.. it was.

Super Mario 64 was just incredible.  What a fucking time to be a gamer :wow2: 

I don't think anything would have been, they just changed too much and negatively. They had a blueprint for the perfect Mario game they just had to apply it with new levels and a new 'story' and they would have been fine. 

17 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I don't think anything would have been, they just changed too much and negatively. They had a blueprint for the perfect Mario game they just had to apply it with new levels and a new 'story' and they would have been fine. 

I agree, but even then, they have to innovate or try something different, or it's just the same game again.  Mario 64 was essentially the perfect transition from 2d to 3d for Mario.  You're never going to get that same experience from another Mario game.  Another game exactly like Mario 64 would have been good, but still disappointing, because there's lots of interesting new things they could do.  They took a gamble and unfortunately stumbled with it.  

But that said, Mario Sunshine IS a great game in ways...  Certain odd choices hold it back though.. and it wasn't quite what people wanted at the time.  Sunshine is really only disappointing because Mario 64 was perfect.

The next big thing for Mario will be VR.  That is the only way you make a truly revolutionary Mario game now.