Minecraft hits 176 million units sold

Officially the highest selling game ever and has actually eclipsed Tetris. This is nuts, the game has sold 126 million copies under Microsoft's tenure. 

Microsoft announced that it has sold 176 million copies of Minecraft, quite a big hop over the 156 million figure they revealed just seven months ago. Despite more buzz around games like Fortnite, Microsoft has kept the game fresh with things like the Dungeons online co-op, a free browser version, a forthcoming movie and now, an augmented reality version called Minecraft Earth. Microsoft added that it has passed 200 million registered users of the Microsoft China edition and completed 130 million Minecraft "Hour of Code" sessions.

When it starts to ratchet up the beta program for Earth, those figures could really take off. The new game looks incredibly promising, with even more immersive play than the current mobile AR champ, Pokémon Go, which was a runaway success when it launched in 2016. Microsoft plans to roll out Minecraft Earth around the world gradually, starting with a closed beta this summer.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/17/minecraft-has-sold-176-million-copies-worldwide/

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

MS has done a shitload to make that game what it is.  Pretty fucking crazy.  They're making bank off that purchase.

It was definitely a worthy investment, all the stuff they have done not only with the game but outside of it has been a gold mine. 

im not gonna lie i was one of the people who laughed when it was announced that Microsoft bought it for $2 billion. They clearly thought ahead, its too bad they can't make smart decisions when it comes to the rest of their games library.

Edited by Twinblade
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Spicalicious said:

Ever played with blocks when you were a kid?  Well it's like that but for adults.  Like building castles, millennium falcon, death star out of lego.

thats some loser shit

This is one of those games I thought I would hate. Then I played it and it was like crack. Fortunately I had friends to play with. Too bad they're now dead or in jail.

Edited by roflpwnedz
  • Sad 1