• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably the best GoT meme  

Post it in r/freefolk, pussy.

First comment is pretty much exactly what everyone here has been telling you for 40+ pages and you were incapable of understanding originally:   You don't seem to really understand the most

First comment is pretty much exactly what everyone here has been telling you for 40+ pages and you were incapable of understanding originally:

You don't seem to really understand the most common complaints about the ending.

A lot of people aren't necessarily upset with where the characters ended up bu the rushed, sloppy, and incoherent way they got there.

• Like 1

I agree. I really enjoyed the last season

But I can also see where some of the hate is coming from. 

I think they could could have made Dany’s turn one of the all time great moments. But it had to be earned and consistent with her characterisation. Even if she snapped in the moment, she needed to show something in the last episode. A regretful and reflective Dany would have made the decision she made more powerful. 

Having started rewatching the whole series, she has has always wanted to be a “good” leader and always displayed a good moral compass. She helped those who needed helping. There was no real trigger to move move her away from that, and if it was purely the heat of war that needed to be reflected on by Dany.  It was too simplistic and strayed from the “shades of grey” that every character exhibited in the writing

They justified her turn being that the people didn’t love her but her entire arc in Mereen is that being loved doesn’t make you a good leader, learning to rule and politics. Nothing seemed

learned there. She should know from experience not everyone will like her

I ultimately like the idea, but it needed more time. And most people are right that the season should have been 10 episodes

No. If they dropped the ball...........then they dropped the ball.

The fact that we now have a bigger forum to see all the disappointed people is not something ARTIFICIALLY generated.

Imagine if we had reddit at this current size of users and popularity..............back in 2010 when the Lost series finale aired.  They'd be getting their fair share of criticism.

The opposite happens as well. The Leftovers was absolutely crucified during Season 1, and then they turned it around for Season 2 and 3, and the reddit crowd absolutely showered them with praise.

It has nothing to do with herd mentality. Its a tv show, people watch the show, and people judge it.

That's never changed. Dexter is treated like shit because it ENDED LIKE SHIT.

GoT started dropping the ball after Season 4-5, and people were hoping that the end was going to over-compensate. And its narrative only ended up getting weaker and weaker.

People who defend the show seem to do it like as if they have some sort of identity that they must defend. It's quite sad.

44 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

First comment is pretty much exactly what everyone here has been telling you for 40+ pages and you were incapable of understanding originally:

You don't seem to really understand the most common complaints about the ending.

A lot of people aren't necessarily upset with where the characters ended up bu the rushed, sloppy, and incoherent way they got there.

Yeah, I loved all of the plot points, I just didn’t care for the execution. 

9 hours ago, Voidler said:

I agree. I really enjoyed the last season

But I can also see where some of the hate is coming from. 

I think they could could have made Dany’s turn one of the all time great moments. But it had to be earned and consistent with her characterisation. Even if she snapped in the moment, she needed to show something in the last episode. A regretful and reflective Dany would have made the decision she made more powerful. 

Having started rewatching the whole series, she has has always wanted to be a “good” leader and always displayed a good moral compass. She helped those who needed helping. There was no real trigger to move move her away from that, and if it was purely the heat of war that needed to be reflected on by Dany.  It was too simplistic and strayed from the “shades of grey” that every character exhibited in the writing

They justified her turn being that the people didn’t love her but her entire arc in Mereen is that being loved doesn’t make you a good leader, learning to rule and politics. Nothing seemed

learned there. She should know from experience not everyone will like her

I ultimately like the idea, but it needed more time. And most people are right that the season should have been 10 episodes

Don't necessarily agree. Dany doesn't necessarily have a good moral compass, but she was smart enough to always surround herself with people who do have good moral compasses. Dany has shown she is quick to want to take a violent approach to solve her problems (Season 7 really showcases this), the thing is though there was always someone who was there to convince her of a better way and to her credit she would listen. She was always on a leash and whenever she wanted to do something a bit drastic, someone would tug her back and be like "Nah, don't do that, do this instead". That starts changing in Season 7 though, she slowly stops listening to the suggestions and starts questioning the advice of people. It got so bad she asked Jon, a man she barely knew at the time, what she should do and he was barely able to convince her of a better way.

Season 8 she gets slammed with loss one after another.

Jorah dies protecting her. Her best friend is beheaded right in front of her. One of her children is shot down right beside her. The revelation that Jon is the rightful heir to the throne, a throne she believes and was told her whole life is rightfully hers, no longer belongs to her. She's in a land with people who don't worship the ground she walks on, something she really isn't accustomed to. And to top it off, the people she surrounded herself with who had the good moral compasses, she no longer trusts them or they're no longer living. All of this shit happening to her in such a short time span clearly had an effect on her mental state. So when she starts her attack on King's Landing, her natural tendency to want to take a violent approach is now going unchecked. No one was going to be able to tug her back because she's off her leash.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Don't necessarily agree. Dany doesn't necessarily have a good moral compass, but she was smart enough to always surround herself with people who do have good moral compasses. Dany has shown she is quick to want to take a violent approach to solve her problems (Season 7 really showcases this), the thing is though there was always someone who was there to convince her of a better way and to her credit she would listen. She was always on a leash and whenever she wanted to do something a bit drastic, someone would tug her back and be like "Nah, don't do that, do this instead". That starts changing in Season 7 though, she slowly stops listening to the suggestions and starts questioning the advice of people. It got so bad she asked Jon, a man she barely knew at the time, what she should do and he was barely able to convince her of a better way.

Season 8 she gets slammed with loss one after another.

Jorah dies protecting her. Her best friend is beheaded right in front of her. One of her children is shot down right beside her. The revelation that Jon is the rightful heir to the throne, a throne she believes and was told her whole life is rightfully hers, no longer belongs to her. She's in a land with people who don't worship the ground she walks on, something she really isn't accustomed to. And to top it off, the people she surrounded herself with who had the good moral compasses, she no longer trusts them or they're no longer living. All of this shit happening to her in such a short time span clearly had an effect on her mental state. So when she starts her attack on King's Landing, her natural tendency to want to take a violent approach is now going unchecked. No one was going to be able to tug her back because she's off her leash.

She could be ruthless but she also was protective of those who were being unfairly treated. War crimes, rape victims, slaves etc. she was always able to make the right distinction. I could totally buy that she lost that, became more and more ruthless but they needed to earn it not have it be the flick of a switch

After all of this I think I'm going to go back and watch the series again in its entirety. I have a feeling season 8 fits in a lot better than people give it credit for but with such a long hiatus from not only the last season but from everything before it it might appear out of place or rushed when in reality it probably isn't. 

Season 7 was TWO YEARS AGO, that's a lot of time for connections to slip, nuances to be forgotten, leads up to appear not in line with the former etc. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
41 minutes ago, Voidler said:

She could be ruthless but she also was protective of those who were being unfairly treated. War crimes, rape victims, slaves etc. she was always able to make the right distinction. I could totally buy that she lost that, became more and more ruthless but they needed to earn it not have it be the flick of a switch

Oh, I don't disagree it could've been executed better but they only gave themselves so many episodes to work with.

7 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

I don't understand why they couldn't just make it 10 episodes long this season. 

Runtime wise it was a little over 7 episodes. The reality is there isn't an overarching need for that much runtime when 80% of what's taking place is action drawing arcs into their conclusion. Talk was done, planning and strategy was done, politics were done and set up was done, this season was the results.

Something to touch on that no one seemed to remember, the Three Eyed Raven was over a thousand years old before he was killed by the Night King. 

How exactly is a successor to Bran supposed to take hold of the throne if he is apparently immortal to natural causes of death? 

13 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Something to touch on that no one seemed to remember, the Three Eyed Raven was over a thousand years old before he was killed by the Night King. 

How exactly is a successor to Bran supposed to take hold of the throne if he is apparently immortal to natural causes of death? 

TER was literally living inside a Weirwood though.

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Is that why he was his age or is it because of what he was?

Weirwoods can apparently live forever if left undisturbed. Considering all of the mystical powers surrounding the trees themselves, I wouldn't be surprised if TER was extending his life by living inside of one.