You won't be able to play Mario Maker 2 online with friends

2 hours ago, Voidler said:

I still don’t get how Nintendo are still so backwards as fuck when it comes to online

90% of the shit they make has a multiplayer focus. You’d think they’d go in hard on online.  Maybe they are worried they’ll sell less peripherals

14 hours ago, Goukosan said:

6 minutes ago, Voidler said:

Doesn’t disprove my point? It’s a standard feature in every game on other consoles 

It wouldn’t be hard if they didn’t screw up their back end

On the list of things that could be screwed up in a video game, its not very noticeable.

Chances are that the development of this game probably involves multiple Nintendo studios. The actual game design is being handled by the very people who make 2D Mario games. The modes that bring this game online is probably being handled by a support studio.

The 2D Mario team has absolutely zero experience with implementing online functions, and the people responsible for that probably didn't get direction from the design team.

Just now, jehurey said:

On the list of things that could be screwed up in a video game, its not very noticeable.

Chances are that the development of this game probably involves multiple Nintendo studios. The actual game design is being handled by the very people who make 2D Mario games. The modes that bring this game online is probably being handled by a support studio.

The 2D Mario team has absolutely zero experience with implementing online functions, and the people responsible for that probably didn't get direction from the design team.

Again it all shows a lack of embracing online, which is baffling for a studio so entrenched in the multiplayer space. It’s like if Blizzard had only ever stuck to LAN multiplayer

10 minutes ago, Voidler said:

Again it all shows a lack of embracing online, which is baffling for a studio so entrenched in the multiplayer space. It’s like if Blizzard had only ever stuck to LAN multiplayer

I don't know this for certain, but I think 2D Mario is designed by alot of older Nintendo employees.

The new designers are part of the 3D Mario team since Mario Galaxy.

The most important part are the design rules and design tools created by the OG team, you'd never substitute them with new developers who already think about all network functionality because they don't have genuine experience in designing 2D Mario.

We're talking about fixing or modifying network functionality after the fact. That's fixable. The other stuff isn't.

I will always take ORIGINAL game-maker talent over developers who just try to churn out network features as a substitute.  Nintendo is different because they still got OGs working there designing games.

That'd be like Fender Guitar kicking out their original 1950's engineers because they don't know how to implement new bluetooth connectivity features in new guitar designs. That may be......but I bet those OG engineers know how to design a better guitar, in general, than the assembly-line shit they make today.

Edited by jehurey