Halo 5 on Xcloud has 67ms delay

Just now, lynux3 said:

"Controlled environment". That's all that needs to be said.

:lock: 

This is froms ArsTech . Its impressive no matter how you spin it 

4 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Nothing is impressive until its been publicly tested from a client machine.

True . But it's still impressive . The data centers were 400 miles away .

Yea real world is what actually matters here.. but I wouldn't be surprised.

Regardless.. even for a controlled test environment, those are good figures.  I'm optimistic.

And like they've said before.. the ability to have datacenters all over the world and close as possible to users is what can help bring the latency issue to a reasonable level.

16 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Regardless.. even for a controlled test environment, those are good figures. 

Too good, honestly. I really don't think the 400 miles thing is accurate and if that's not a roundtrip figure (which it wouldn't be if it was LA to San Fran as they're 381 miles apart) it's literally impossible. Light travels at 186 miles per millisecond, so to travel from LA to San Fran and back would take light 4.1ms. At 2/3 the speed of light we're at 6.1ms. Then this phone was connected via WiFi?

The math just doesn't add up.

7 hours ago, JONBpc said:

Native is 63. That's pretty amazing . Controlled environment and all tho

Unplayable. Anything over 20 is a deal breaker. Fuck you google and Microsoft 

Edited by Vini
3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Isn't the typical controller response like 80ms lol?

:sabu:

I don't know what the typical controller response is off the top of my head, but nah.  What I do know is that he's confusing display lag with "input lag" which is the latency of the entire chain and not just the display. lmao

30 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I don't know what the typical controller response is off the top of my head, but nah.  What I do know is that he's confusing display lag with "input lag" which is the latency of the entire chain and not just the display. lmao

I think display lag and input lag are usually separated, since everyone is using different displays. If this thread/article is telling me Halo 5 has 67ms of "input lag" (not including display lag), that is insane.

4 minutes ago, モンキー said:

I think display lag and input lag are usually separated, since everyone is using different displays. If this thread/article is telling me Halo 5 has 67ms of "input lag" (not including display lag), that is insane.

Usually yea.  And the fact that they're demoing it on phones, means the display lag will be extremely low, however, that's countered by the fact that phones rely on wifi.. which makes getting an extremely low latency tougher.  It's really impressive.

But as already said, it will vary greatly between devices and connections, as well as distances to the servers.  Still very encouraging.

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Usually yea.  And the fact that they're demoing it on phones, means the display lag will be extremely low, however, that's countered by the fact that phones rely on wifi.. which makes getting an extremely low latency tougher.  It's really impressive.

But as already said, it will vary greatly between devices and connections, as well as distances to the servers.  Still very encouraging.

Yeah. I'm not expert on this stuff, or not even close, but this seems nuts. Is MS using some kinda crazy tech? Stadia might get massacred just on the fact that their tech isn't nearly on the same level lol.

10 minutes ago, モンキー said:

Yeah. I'm not expert on this stuff, or not even close, but this seems nuts. Is MS using some kinda crazy tech? Stadia might get massacred just on the fact that their tech isn't nearly on the same level lol.

They've probably done a lot of work on optimizing the entire pipeline. Encoders/decoders, input layer optimizations and adjustments to compensate for latency, as well as the servers themselves being all over and optimized for as low latency as possible.