Aonuma won't say if you can play as Zelda in Breath of the Wild 2

“A lot of people have been asking that, and so I want to ask you, why do people think that?” Aonuma said when I asked him this morning during an E3 interview on the second floor of Nintendo’s booth at the Los Angeles Convention Center. He spoke through an English-Japanese translator.

“Well it seems like it’d make sense, because at the end of Breath of the Wild she was freed, so now she can be a protagonist,” I said. “Also, I think people have wanted it for a long time.”

“I see,” said Aonuma. Then he laughed. “But I can’t tell you.”

There's this polygon article that had some interesting theories.

Specifically they used Nintendo talking at a GDC presentation last year that showed off concept art that they were talking about as ideas that didn't make it into the main game.

They showed off a motorbike in concept art, and later on the game got a DLC motorbike.

So, the other concept art was Link not having an arm, and he can plug it weapons and tools to his arm, kind of like Ash from Evil Dead.  There's a shot in the trailer where Link reaches into something, and it grabs his arm. He could lose it.

And another piece of concept art they showed last year was an island floating in the sky, and it looked like it had been ripped up from the ground. The end of the trailer shows Hyrule Castle being lifted up.  That 2018 concept art had Ganondorf standing at the top.

If you look at the trailer, the dead corpse that re-animates has red hair and a symbol in his forehead, like Ganondorf.

Also, the opening cinematic for BoTW1 shows an image of the original hero of time. That doesn't look like Link at all.

legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_openi