GOG Galaxy: Microsoft announced as a partner

You know what's the most damning part about this piece of news coming out? Microsoft is not telling the gaming press in America because they don't want any blowback.

And this is going to be how they "expand". They're just not going to make a big announcement about these types of things they're doing, until its already come out.

22 minutes ago, jehurey said:

You know what's the most damning part about this piece of news coming out? Microsoft is not telling the gaming press in America because they don't want any blowback.

And this is going to be how they "expand". They're just not going to make a big announcement about these types of things they're doing, until its already come out.

Jesus :tom: 

Or you know.. it could be that GOG is based in Europe and that they are the ones announcing it :cosby2: 

Phil. Remij should be happy.

You say the day of your E3 briefing was a record day for Game Pass. On PC were you happy with the results?

It was incredible, seriously, it was—in fact I might even have said that our team sandbagged our internal forecasts a bit—but no, it was great, which means something. I'll say our relationship with the PC community has been one of rebuilding trust, and yes people are just signing up, people are just trying now, we can still mess it up, but from the announcement of Master Chief coming to PC, to the Xbox game bar and us trying to create real functionality. Not all PC gamers are going to use it, but we're trying to be very explicit that we want to bring value there to the redesign of the Xbox app. I really do appreciate the PC gaming community's early vote of confidence—I guess it only cost a buck to try [laughs], but seriously, we fundamentally believe we need to and have to be, and should be a constructive part of the PC gamer's lifestyle. Not the only part, but a constructive part of that. The early results even in 24 hours on PC Game Pass have been really great.

Sea of Thieves Steam

Is it more challenging for multiplayer-focused games like the Forza Horizon games and Sea of Thieves that are already released?

No, not really, we've done a good job working with Valve around the multiplayer systems. Let's pick Sea of Thieves because I love the game. I think Sea of Thieves might have been our most requested game to come to Steam, which I thought was interesting—after we did the announcement of Halo: Master Chief Collection. Halo was clearly number one!

With Craig [Duncan] and the team at Rare, and the roadmap of what they're doing with Sea of Thieves, we'd obviously have to wrap it in the Steam installer—it's just work. It's not massive work, it's just work in going in and making it happen. Nothing to announce. I'll say Valve has been great to work with, so there's nothing in the relationship that would make it difficult for us to go do that. It would just be finding the right time to go do it. And do we really add something new? I guess that's just a customer that says 'there's no way I'm going to buy it from the store' that we have, and I'm not trying to manipulate what they do through that. The game is available for sale and we're saying 'hey we want to be big supporters of Steam', but I know some people very much want all of their library in one place and I understand that.

See... Sea of Thieves is a lot more popular than you guys give it credit for.  People are and have been playing the fuck out of that game.

Am I saying 8 million people are playing it concurrently.. lmao no.. but it's sold extremely well, and GP has people popping in and out all the time.  It has a healthy following and has a fucking excellent core gameplay to build off of.

The fact that it's right behind Halo and not Forza is kind of surprising to me though.  I would have thought Forza would have been ahead of it.  But that's good news.  Xbox games on PC, steam in particular, should do quite well.  The store was mostly the big hurdle they needed to overcome.  And dropping UWP for Win32 as well as their improvements to the store and improvements to Win10 are rebuilding some of that good will that they really need for people to take them seriously.  When your shit is so bad that just the mention of the Windows Store is enough to make people say they'll never touch it... we'll you have to fundamentally change that perception.  And MS are well on their way to doing that.  They just have to execute on their plans in good fashion.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

I wonder why Steam would comply with GOG.

Or maybe its because Steam's API is so open that GOG can take advantage of it.

Steam has an API for specifically this reason.  Any developers can integrate most of Steams features right into their game or program/app.  They want people using their features.. and at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter which client is used to launch games or is used to hook into their features.  It all comes down to use.  This wont make any difference to Valve.  Again, I'm sure they are actively pushing for this.

Also some cool shit from the article I posted:

It might not matter if an official solution comes along for a while yet, because Galaxy 2.0 is completely open source. Users can make custom plug-ins to pull off all sorts of nonsense. In the private beta GOG's currently running, users have already created plug-ins that let you see your Discord friends and chat messages in Galaxy and even one that pulls in a user's iTunes movies and music library for viewing and listening through the client. It's possible to make a plug-in that kicks off a fart sound with every button press. Why not? 

The most impressive plug-in I'm told about allows for streaming from an Xbox console to a Mac running Galaxy. Just click on the Xbox game in your Galaxy library, imported through the connection to your Xbox account, and it'll boot the game up on your console before, somehow, sending it to your Mac. I doubt it's as elegant as it sounds, but it's possible because someone wanted it to be possible and made it happen. That's the real hook here. 

For longtime collectors, Galaxy 2.0's dark horse might be the search bar, which wasn't integrated into the early build I saw. I'm told that it won't just look through GOG's storefront, but will scrape the internet for "every game in existence." 

That means, even though you can't connect your SNES to Galaxy 2.0, you can still add The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past to your GOG library, and it should pull in artwork, a description, and all available metadata. Or if you have any old PC games that aren't tied to a launcher, it'll pull in the data. All you need to do is link the executable to it. It's a niche feature, but one that goes far beyond the basic expectations for game library management. 

The amazing thing is that the GOG client will be completely open source.  Meaning we're going to get plug-ins for all sorts of shit.  Twitch, Discord, Music, ect ect... Emulators as well... and it will scrape the internet for the data and fill out the profile page for that game.  Playnite does the same thing (probably the same repositories) and it works amazingly.  All your emulated games can be added to your library and will look like they belong in the client just like everything else.  It's awesome.

This shit really could end up being the only client to need to interface with on a general level.  Of course, like I said, I expect other clients will do their own thing and integrate stuff from the other clients as well, meaning that whichever client people want to mainly use, will have the basic features of the other clients to eliminate friends and games being scattered all over.  This is absolutely great for PC gamers and I'm glad we no longer need to rely on fan projects like Playnite (as cool as it is)..