Digital Foundry | AMD Zen 2/Navi Reaction + What It Means For Next-Gen Consoles

Jon.. I don't know why you are so worried about the consoles "just" having GTX 1080 performance... the Xbox One X in "tflops" is about the same as the GTX 970... the 1080 is well over 2x the power of that.

There's only so much die space and a certain level power envelope that they've gotta be within.. 

With optimizations and architectural differences there will be workloads that the Navi GPU will completely obliterate the GTX 1080 in... others not so much.

It's going to fall around 2070 level of performance.. which is pretty badass.

12 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Jon.. I don't know why you are so worried about the consoles "just" having GTX 1080 performance... the Xbox One X in "tflops" is about the same as the GTX 970... the 1080 is well over 2x the power of that.

There's only so much die space and a certain level power envelope that they've gotta be within.. 

With optimizations and architectural differences there will be workloads that the Navi GPU will completely obliterate the GTX 1080 in... others not so much.

Plus if he's going into PC gaming consoles are exclusive games material anyways.

15 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

2070 is weak for next gen console imo. Guess the good thing is my 2060 will probably still be fine for next gen games at 1080p .

4 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Plus if he's going into PC gaming consoles are exclusive games material anyways.

Not really . I play my xbox more than PC now . I'll always play console more .

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

You wont be saying that when you see next generation games homie.  You wont even give a shit about TFlops anymore :reg:  

I dont care about tflops now . If the output is close to 1080 or 2070 , meh .

4 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

I dont care about tflops now . If the output is close to 1080 or 2070 , meh .

You're basing that on some stupid preconceived notion of the power of a 1080 or 2070.

Whatever.. You'll be happy with next gen, I'm sure. 

If developers are smart, and if Sony is smart.....they will aim for 1440p-1800p rendering and use all of those fancy reconstruction techniques when outputting at 4K.

Maybe, just maybe, they will have some limited, somewhat-efficient method of ray-tracing. And start taking advantage of the CPU power upgrade in a way that the casual gamer will immediately notice.

12 hours ago, jehurey said:

If developers are smart, and if Sony is smart.....they will aim for 1440p-1800p rendering and use all of those fancy reconstruction techniques when outputting at 4K.

Maybe, just maybe, they will have some limited, somewhat-efficient method of ray-tracing. And start taking advantage of the CPU power upgrade in a way that the casual gamer will immediately notice.

Outside of some absolutely top tier studios that are first party I don't think we will see any RT. It's all your air.

Even Remij's PC takes a major performance hit that's simply not rational. If the choice is 30 FPS instead of 60, and possibly a lower ress. Everyone sane will choose 60fps.

If MS sticks to making One games for years, it will hurt Scarlett. But I think a 4K/60fps versions for Scarlett with some upgrades isn't a bad place to be. It's more than acceptable. Especially if they are lead designed on X like Fable is supposed to be.

From what I read X will be the base design system not S, which should help Scarlett a lot.

Edited by Team 2019
14 hours ago, Remij_ said:

GTX 980/GTX 1060 6gb level performance but I digress. 

Pastebin leak. Probably fake. But interesting non the less. Makes you wonder if the F64 in XBox could be true since MS wants to use it for general streaming.

Next Gen Consoles (Mai 2019):
Xbox die size: 392mm
PS5 die size: 319mm

Clock speed in current devkits:
Xbox (Dante): 1,1 GHz (not final; Goal is 1,6)
PS5 (Gonzalo): 1,8 GHz (was 1 GHz; now pretty much final version)

PS5 40~44CU @ 1.8GHz = 9.2TF~ 10.1TF
And Scarlett between 48~54CU @ 1.6GHz = 9.8TF~11.0TF

I can't stress enough how PS5 needs to ideally hit 399 imo.

Edited by Team 2019
1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

Id rather PS5 be weaker for fast adoption rates and stable third party support than have it be more expensive for a few people on the internet.

Fuck that :D