Metroid Prime 4 doesn't even look to have entered principle development yet

1 minute ago, JONBpc said:

That's what happens when a game is cancelled and they dont know what to do with it 

Bingo. They scrapped this shit 6 months ago and haven't even hired an art director yet, so basically nothing is even being worked on. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!

These guys think that a game's development begins with Art Direction? :drake:

This isn't like Halo and Gears..........where its the same meat and potatoes shooting mechanics, and they just update the art on top of it. Metroid Prime games are expected to have unique gameplay mechanics that are not based on shooting.

Man, the lemmings are trying to find anything they can.  This would be bad news if Nintendo didn't have other games.

Couple of things. 

1) The job posting was on Nov 2018 and updated this month to include "Metroid" 

2) Game Design, Game Play Mechanics and work on the game Engine does not have to wait for an art director. 

3) Yes.. the game restarted development so its a while out. 

But saying principle development hasn't started yet is a stretch.:whoa: 

Art Director of Star Wars at EA chimes in. 

"Okay, I saw enough replies on the first page that I feel like I need to explain some things to yall,

Hiring happens at all times during the lifecycle of a project, before, during and after. Don't let fancy words like "art director" make you think they don't have talented art people taking on the role for now and making substantial progress, as a matter of fact AAA games have multiple ADs on a variety of roles. You have one AD for characters, one for technical art, one for animation, environments, one for the studio, even. At any point one can fill in the role of another until its time to fill the vacancy.

I think a very common misconception is that without an AD you don't have an artstyle or youre not making art progress ... that is NOT necessarily the case! Art direction is usually set by the lead artists in the game and approved by studio heads, the AD is there to present work, champion it and make sure its consistent and delivered on time, its important work .... but those tasks can also be done by other people in the interim, think of it more like an Art Ambassador than anything else.

It's an important title, to be sure, but also very misunderstood. Hiring one in the middle of a project is not (by default) a sign of trouble, it could mean somebody changed jobs, it could mean they increased the budget, it could mean the previous guy wanted to focus on a different area, it could mean they're trying to lessen the amount of work done by the leads, it could mean they need somebody else to represent the team in meetings so production can get more work done, etc, etc and ... yes, it could mean the previous guy sucked so they need a new one but that's the one everybody always jumps to and I'm just here to give you some more perspective than that. Making assumptions out of job openings is not a good look."

:tophat2:

Edited by Goukosan
Just now, Goukosan said:

Couple of things. 

1) This was posted on Nov 2018 and updated. 

2) Game Design, Game Play Mechanics and work on the game Engine does not have to wait for an art director. 

3) Yes.. the game restarted development so its a while out. 

But saying principle development hasn't started yet is a stretch. 

Art Director of Star Wars at EA chimes in. 

"Okay, I saw enough replies on the first page that I feel like I need to explain some things to yall,

Hiring happens at all times during the lifecycle of a project, before, during and after. Don't let fancy words like "art director" make you think they don't have talented art people taking on the role for now and making substantial progress, as a matter of fact AAA games have multiple ADs on a variety of roles. You have one AD for characters, one for technical art, one for animation, environments, one for the studio, even. At any point one can fill in the role of another until its time to fill the vacancy.

I think a very common misconception is that without an AD you don't have an artstyle or youre not making art progress ... that is NOT necessarily the case! Art direction is usually set by the lead artists in the game and approved by studio heads, the AD is there to present work, champion it and make sure its consistent and delivered on time, its important work .... but those tasks can also be done by other people in the interim, think of it more like an Art Ambassador than anything else.

It's an important title, to be sure, but also very misunderstood. Hiring one in the middle of a project is not (by default) a sign of trouble, it could mean somebody changed jobs, it could mean they increased the budget, it could mean the previous guy wanted to focus on a different area, it could mean they're trying to lessen the amount of work done by the leads, it could mean they need somebody else to represent the team in meetings so production can get more work done, etc, etc and ... yes, it could mean the previous guy sucked so they need a new one but that's the one everybody always jumps to and I'm just here to give you some more perspective than that. Making assumptions out of job openings is not a good look."

:tophat2:

Yeah this would be great and all if it didn't say this in the posting.

Vbs9JGx.png

They don't even have an art direction yet, this shit is at least 5 years out.

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Vbs9JGx.png

Bro that's not how game development of big games work.  You don't have to wait for ONE art director on a AAA game to begin game design, engine work and mechanics.

they're not sitting down waiting on an art director.  This isn't an indie game.  That person will be one of the many art directors on the project. 

Yes.. MP4 is not this year or next...

2021...not 5 years out

2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Bro that's not how game development of big games work.  You don't have to wait for ONE art director on a AAA game to begin game design, engine work and mechanics.

they're not sitting down waiting on an art director.  This isn't an indie game.  That person will be one of the many art directors on the project. 

Yes.. MP4 is not this year or next...

2021...not 5 years out

Yeah and in general development of big games doesn't result in cancellation of said development and full restart with an entirely different developer. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Yeah and in general development of big games doesn't result in cancellation of said development and full restart with an entirely different developer. 

That happens more than you think.  If the publisher isn't satisfied with the project they can change course at anytime.

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Off the top of your head list 5. 

off the top of. my head. 

Metroid Prime 1

Resident Evil 4

Splinter Cell Conviction

Borderlands 

Halo

all had mid development changes that resulted in significant changes in the original direction of the game. 

1 hour ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Vbs9JGx.png

No.........it literally says "collaborative" in that sentence.

You think Retro Studios is sitting around with no artists..........and they're waiting for a guy to draw them what Samus or a Space Pirate looks like.

I love how Dynocrap is still trying to hang on, here.:tom: