DF - Control PC First Look: The Most Impressive Ray Traced Game Yet?

1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

I watched RT quake 2 and RT lighting is one of the most useless things I have ever seen. Shiny shit RT is good shit though.

Such a dumb take.  And you're really going to be going to be doubling back on this.  Why say completely stupid shit that you know you're going to double back on? :tom: 

7 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Such a dumb take.  And you're really going to be going to be doubling back on this.  Why say completely stupid shit that you know you're going to double back on? :tom: 

Show me impressive RT lighting in action. I don't mind. I'm not against the tech, I just wasn't impressed.

The RT sound stuff was great.

Edited by Team 2019

Quake 2 was the most unimpressive pos I've ever played .

Oh look at the light coming from your bullets ! Its shines on the wall ! This room is completely dark ! 22 year old game punishing today's video cards ROFL 

Impressive :whoo:

14 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Show me impressive RT lighting in action. I don't mind. I'm not against the tech, I just wasn't impressed.

You can barely notice,  unless you look at your GPU power . Even DF was like , uh we dont know of halo is using rt . Will have to dive into it .

If tech isn't even noticeable unless you pull out a microscope than what's the point ? Reef

17 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

You said RT lighting is one of the most useless things you've ever seen..  That's speaking of the technology and not a specific implementation of it.

And again... I'm telling you guys... I understand your criticisms about not seeing enough of some arbitrary difference when comparing games we have now... the fact is that once more developers start actually utilizing RT more.. the GLARING flaws of rastered lighting and shadow effects will become obscenely obviously.  It's all the tiny things that you've been trained to overlook because that's "just how it's been" in games for so long.  It's going to hit you all of a sudden.. because it all adds up.

For me, I see a lot of that stuff.  From no light bounces.. to bad AO where objects don't feel properly shadowed or set properly within the scene... to reflections that are completely outright WRONG and ugly with horrible artifacts..to materials that really aren't lit properly and have a fake look to them.  Some games hide flaws quite well... and they take developers tons of time, and money to get them to that point.  Actually simulating lighting brings tons of benefits and makes the entire scene more cohesive.  

Get all your cheap shots in while you can.. but again... once more and more games utilize RT for lighting and effects.. you're going to look back and think screen space shit is garbage.. and you're going to see how wrong a lot of the stuff you THOUGHT looked right was.

:shrug: 

9 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

You said RT lighting is one of the most useless things you've ever seen..  That's speaking of the technology and not a specific implementation of it.

And again... I'm telling you guys... I understand your criticisms about not seeing enough of some arbitrary difference when comparing games we have now... the fact is that once more developers start actually utilizing RT more.. the GLARING flaws of rastered lighting and shadow effects will become obscenely obviously.  It's all the tiny things that you've been trained to overlook because that's "just how it's been" in games for so long.  It's going to hit you all of a sudden.. because it all adds up.

For me, I see a lot of that stuff.  From no light bounces.. to bad AO where objects don't feel properly shadowed or set properly within the scene... to reflections that are completely outright WRONG and ugly with horrible artifacts..to materials that really aren't lit properly and have a fake look to them.  Some games hide flaws quite well... and they take developers tons of time, and money to get them to that point.  Actually simulating lighting brings tons of benefits and makes the entire scene more cohesive.  

Get all your cheap shots in while you can.. but again... once more and more games utilize RT for lighting and effects.. you're going to look back and think screen space shit is garbage.. and you're going to see how wrong a lot of the stuff you THOUGHT looked right was.

:shrug: 

With the ND lighting artist hyping RT lighting. Well probably get a comparison in a TLOU2 remaster/patch. I'm honestly not expecting much even with ND at the helm.

13 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

You can barely notice,  unless you look at your GPU power . Even DF was like , uh we dont know of halo is using rt . Will have to dive into it .

If tech isn't even noticeable unless you pull out a microscope than what's the point ? Reef

Yeah this was a big wtf moment. DF couldn't even tell if the lighting was ray traced. If it was, whats the point. Just up the performance and shit that actually makes a noticeable difference.