DF - Control PC First Look: The Most Impressive Ray Traced Game Yet?

1 hour ago, Team 2019 said:

Honestly screen space reflections are more than fine, RT shiny shit is cool, but the performance cost is surreal. Who cares if RT can reflect things that AREN'T on screen while SSR can only reflect whats on screen.

Only time I've ever agreed with you 

3 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

Honestly screen space reflections are more than fine, RT shiny shit is cool, but the performance cost is surreal. Who cares if RT can reflect things that AREN'T on screen while SSR can only reflect whats on screen.

They really aren't fine.  They can be extremely distracting and ugly imo.  Again... once RT games become more common, the more you guys will see how wrong a lot of shit looks in comparison.  I've said it before and I'll say it again... it'll all seem like "not much difference" "barely noticeable" "just a little darker"... and then one day it will be.. Jesus.. how the fuck did we ever think that looked good before? 

Guaranteed.

5 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

They really aren't fine.  They can be extremely distracting and ugly imo.  Again... once RT games become more common, the more you guys will see how wrong a lot of shit looks in comparison.  I've said it before and I'll say it again... it'll all seem like "not much difference" "barely noticeable" "just a little darker"... and then one day it will be.. Jesus.. how the fuck did we ever think that looked good before? 

Guaranteed.

well, that's the case with a lot of tech. soft shadows and tessellation didn't seem to add a lot, at first. now, there's no turning back. right now, we are conditioned for more primitive graphics techniques. however, that will change. plus, it won't be such a resource hog (remember how soft shadows dropped f.e.a.r's performance by half?) it's just too new to be widely appreciated right now. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, -GD- said:

well, that's the case with a lot of tech. soft shadows and tessellation didn't seem to add a lot, at first. now, there's no turning back. right now, we are conditioned for more primitive graphics techniques. however, that will change. plus, it won't be such a resource hog (remember how soft shadows dropped f.e.a.r's performance by half?) it's just too new to be widely appreciated right now. 

FEAR's soft shadows, or how I loved to learn about GPU stats. :ben:

13 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Guaranteed.

It ain't that. You could be running this game at like 144hz instead and above 1080p.

The tech is great. The issue is performance.

Edited by Team 2019
3 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

FEAR's soft shadows, or how I loved to learn about GPU stats. :ben:

i didn't even notice them, and my 6800gt was getting like 15 fps with them on lol

Edited by -GD-
4 minutes ago, -GD- said:

i didn't even notice them, ands my 6800gt was getting like 15 fps with them on lol

Yeah, I bought a GPU, and before I opened it, I went to Tom'sHardware to look up the performance for FEAR, and then promptly returned it for a better model. :D 

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Such a stupid post. :tom: 

It's TRUE.  Support started off so much better . It's almost standard now (lol pc) visual difference is immediately noticable and its FREE

Just now, JONBpc said:

It's TRUE.  Support started off so much better . It's almost standard now (lol pc) visual difference is immediately noticable and its FREE

They aren't in competition with each other :lemming: 

bubut support started off better?  LMAO What fucking difference does that make?  If a game has it, fine.. if it doesn't... fine.  ROFL.

And I'd take proper RT global illumination, shadows, reflections and AO every day before I'd take HDR support.  The irony being that your dumb ass doesn't even realize that half the HDR enabled games out there are completely faking it and aren't even really that dynamic in range. :tom: 

"Look!!  Nier Automata looks so incredible on X!!  Best on X! HDR makes it look so much better!! YAY!"

Game is tested and it's basically SDR :tom: 

The clownery around here never ceases to amaze me. :rofls: