What makes you play video games?

I don't mean why but what do you like the most about games in general. 

In order: 

1. Multiplayer

2. Story/Lore/Setting

3. Characters

4. Writing

5. Music/Sound Design

6.. Gameplay/Mechanics

7. Art Design

8. Controls

9. Graphical Quality

I thought about this and I realized since I play way more multiplayer than singleplayer it would look like this. And when I play single player I prefer RPGs of all kinds. 

I'm playing Arcanum for example, it's from 2001, and the graphics and controls are really outdated but I don't mind because I like the story and setting.

Surprisingly art design is so low on my list because I value a good story over what I see, like reading a book. But some games obviously draw me in through the art alone. 

I leave out the diversity and minority bullshit people are crying about nowadays, because nobody cares.

add or remove some, i thought about voice acting because some voices put me off...

Edited by kaz

Twitchy action gameplay, exploration with surprising things to discover, art direction, and then good music always helps too. Once in a while I get in the mood for a puzzle game. 

I'm not into stories and characters. I skip most cutscenes, even in RPGs. I don't watch fiction on TV and rarely watch movies either. It's not that I don't like fiction, it's that I read/watched so much when I was younger that it's almost completely lost its ability to surprise me, and I really dislike watching reruns. When I do watch movies, I sit with the remote and constantly fast-forward through scenes when they start to become predictable. I'm terrible to watch movies with.

• Sad 2

Presentation. Not necessarily graphics but more setting, art style, music, and narrative in a creative scenario. If the core concepts of the game are not interesting to me, even fantastic gameplay wont save it

Pacing. Hugely important to me, I’ll easily drop a game. But if it’s well paced and keeps me invested I don’t care if it’s 3 hours or 30 hours. Don’t waste my time with padding and shit. It’s why I struggle to complete open world games

Gameplay. Tight gameplay with enough depth to feel rewarding.

My favourite games all fit in where they bring these three things together. 

Though Rocket League is the odd exception

25 minutes ago, Saucer said:

Twitchy action gameplay, exploration with surprising things to discover, art direction, and then good music always helps too. Once in a while I get in the mood for a puzzle game. 

I'm not into stories and characters. I skip most cutscenes, even in RPGs. I don't watch fiction on TV and rarely watch movies either. It's not that I don't like fiction, it's that I read/watched so much when I was younger that it's almost completely lost its ability to surprise me, and I really dislike watching reruns. When I do watch movies, I sit with the remote and constantly fast-forward through scenes when they start to become predictable. I'm terrible to watch movies with.

I get where youre coming from, I find it almost impossible to find any media that does something new. The only thing that still manages to keep my interest going is Tezuka Osamu's manga and the recent Promised Neverland from Shounen Jump. 

The last RPG that made me play only for the plot and story was Xenoblade Chronicles and 999 on DS.

As an escape. So story + characters + world play a huge part. I just want to lose myself in a  virtual universe. It’s why I’m near the 100 hour mark in ass creed odyssey 

Edited by -GD-
23 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

The constantly pounding and undeniable reality that video games were my escape in a broken home, they in part raised me and became a part of who I am. 

Guess they didn't do their job.

I'm the opposite, on the other hand.

I don't like playing video games when I don't feel well. I associate games when thing were simple, understandable, and I felt perfectly at peace. I never wanted it to be a primary way of escapism.

I also use video games as completionism, and I guess that's the closest thing to escapism. I remember there was a giantbomb E3 podcast like 5-6 years ago where this british guy said that video games are something you can "solve" within X amounts of hours. And it feels good to "solve" something, when your life is filled with a whole bunch of stuff that you cannot solve within a week. But you CAN solve a video game within a short period of time. You completed something.

So, my biggest example was AssCreed 3, I started playing that game in 2012, and I stopped. And I did play games in between (Did 55 hours of GTA5 during a 5-day game rental back in 2013), but I always felt like I had to go back and complete AssCreed 3 in order for me to progress forward and playing other games in a linear order. In finally beat it in 2016.

I forgot about pacing and exploration. Pacing issues are probably my number 1 reason to drop games especially RPGs. 

asscreed 3 was so bad after asscreed 2 venice ownage

40 minutes ago, kaz said:

I forgot about pacing and exploration. Pacing issues are probably my number 1 reason to drop games especially RPGs. 

asscreed 3 was so bad after asscreed 2 venice ownage

So, mind you, I haven't played AssCreed games past 3, so I have yet to start playing Black Flag.

I think AssCreed Brotherhood is the best paced game in the series, and just the tightest all-around game (up until AC3). However, I grew to like AC3. I think it was a case of them biting off more than they could chew. That "frontier" map really was quite an accomplishment.

I like the main character, Connor. I think it was fitting for him to behave the way he does. He's a native american who got fucked over by everybody, and he just got angrier and angrier and helped setup the United States but he didn't from it in any way.  It was a pretty hard ending to his story.

So, I gotta play Black Flag, Freedom Cry, Unity, Rogue, Syndicate, and only then do I get to the big-ass mega-open world AC Origins and AC Odyssey.

Edited by jehurey
2 hours ago, jehurey said:

So, I gotta play Black Flag, Freedom Cry, Unity, Rogue, Syndicate, and only then do I get to the big-ass mega-open world AC Origins and AC Odyssey.

Bildergebnis für aint nobody got time for that