I just realized that every gen since the NES (except PS2/Xbox/Gamecube) has had a Mario title as the GOTG

The king remains the king.

Its truly amazing, because other developers can make an IP that wins a GOTY, but can they keep that same IP alive 20 years later and keep it progressing at such a high-level that its still winning GOTY awards?

And the answer is no. Nobody outside of Nintendo.

42 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

NES/Master System: Mario 3

SNES/Genesis: Chrono Trigger/Zelda ALTTP

N64/PS1: Metal Gear Solid/Final Fantasy 7

Gamecube/PS2/Xbox: Metal Gear Solid 3/Ninja Gaiden

Wii/Xbox 360/PS3: Demon's Souls/Bayonetta

Switch/Xbox One/PS4: Bloodborne

:gasp:

Fixed. B) 

57 minutes ago, kaz said:

mario is overrated, yoshi on snes is the best

Opinion's can't be wrong, but calling Yoshi's Island better than Super Mario World is probably the closest you can get.

2 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Opinion's can't be wrong, but calling Yoshi's Island better than Super Mario World is probably the closest you can get.

I'm not saying its better, its overrated.

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Honestly Zelda is right there too and can easily be put in each spot. 

If I were making a serious list I think I'd swap SMB 3 for Zelda and RE4 for Wind Waker. LttP and OoT are basically #1b rather than #2 they're so close to SMW and Mario 64 for me.

Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild are trash, though. Zelda has been bad longer than it's been good. :sword:

19 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

If I were making a serious list I think I'd swap SMB 3 for Zelda and RE4 for Wind Waker. LttP and OoT are basically #1b rather than #2 they're so close to SMW and Mario 64 for me.

Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild are trash, though. Zelda has been bad longer than it's been good. :sword:

I don't understand Wind Waker's mixed reception, it was such a good game and a direct gameplay derivative of Ocarina of Time.

I just don't get it. 

• Upvote 1

Zelda and Mario are the two best franchises pound for pound in gaming.  Period.  Both Nintendo, and both old as time itself.

Scriptures have literally been written about their brilliance.

Both series are consistently the best.  That means nobody fucks with them.

Zelda is a bit better these days to me than Mario.  Mario Odyssey was an incredible game.. but it wasn't as great as Galaxy was imo.  I loved it, but I'm not the biggest fan of the hat and clothes changing mechanic, also some of the worlds were kind of jarring compared to the Mario style that we're used to.  But that's more on me than anything else.

I love Mario games with that Mario 64 tight movement.  Mario in Odyssey wasn't QUITE as tight as Mario in 64 as I remember, but that's the kind of Mario game I love.  Whatever they do next, I'm sure it will be amazing again.