I just realized that every gen since the NES (except PS2/Xbox/Gamecube) has had a Mario title as the GOTG

For what it's worth I think Mario has been far more consistent than Zelda but Zelda gets a gigantic boost in favourtism from critics. Zelda from after OOT till BotW really wasn't anything crazy special in any way (talking about 3d zelda). WW being the best and Skyward Sword being an actual BAD game. Like a legit 6/10 type game yet somehow has a 93 meta LMAO. TP with a different name would be a standard 8.0 action adventure game on anything else. I'm most hyped about the next Zelda than ever before because if they can do the BotW gameplay with classic zelda structure and dungeons then they will finally have the franchise back to the OOT days imo. 

Meanwhile every Mario game you know is going to be spectacular, especially when it comes to 3d Mario as no other game gets close. Galaxy/2 were mindblowingly good and while Odyssey doesn't reach that level it is still insanely good. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Optimus Jim said:

Xbox was the best out of the three for it's first generation. KOTOR, HALO: CE, Ninja Gaiden. Obviously. 

:| Ok, who hacked this account?

Seriously, if you're posting from Jim's account please let him back in, these logical posts are far more unsettling as compared to his normal ramblings.

• Haha 1

Odyssey was disappointing imo. Levels were hit or miss, far too easy, kinda short, too many moons and them being given out for literally everything made them feel kinda meaningless. Some of the moons are so easy to get that they’re actually hard to find because it’s shit that you would never assume you’ll be rewarded for doing. 

Its still a good game. I’d give it a 9/10...the controls/movement alone make it an amazing game but they really failed to give you spots to use them. 

Edited by Casual
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, kokujin said:

Everything Nintendo exclusive. Minus GTA 3, nothing etches the top echelon of Nintendo. 

Square during the SNES era comes the closest: FFIV, FFVI, Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger. 

Edited by Ike
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, kokujin said:

Everything Nintendo exclusive. Minus GTA 3, nothing etches the top echelon of Nintendo. 

most nintendo exclusives play the same. nintendo is good for like 3 maybe 4 games per gen

On 2019-07-11 at 10:00 PM, kaz said:

most nintendo exclusives play the same. nintendo is good for like 3 maybe 4 games per gen

They are 1 developer lol. People forget that. No other developer puts out hits for decades like them. 

• Upvote 1
On 2019-07-10 at 9:48 PM, Casual said:

Odyssey was disappointing imo. Levels were hit or miss, far too easy, kinda short, too many moons and them being given out for literally everything made them feel kinda meaningless. Some of the moons are so easy to get that they’re actually hard to find because it’s shit that you would never assume you’ll be rewarded for doing. 

Its still a good game. I’d give it a 9/10...the controls/movement alone make it an amazing game but they really failed to give you spots to use them. 

It's the only Mario game that I gave up on trying to 100% because of how menial it was. In all other Mario titles, 100%'ing them was actually the most fun part.

The response to Odyssey is so weird to me because I think it's up there with the Galaxy games.

I agree with Casual's point about the game leaving a lot on the table as far as the movement is concerned, though. Long jump -> Throw the hat -> Dive -> Throw the hat -> Dive and Backflip -> Wall jump -> 180 -> Throw the hat -> Dive just completely obliterate any horizontal or vertical challenges the game puts in front of you and unlock some pretty hacky alternative routes that make the game feel unpolished in a weirdly uncharacteristic way.

• Like 1