Guys, give me some awesome movies to watch

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mystic River

Definitely watch the Swedish versions if you're gonna see Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.   Other recommendations of the top of my head in similar genres:   - Gone Girl - Prisone

Just two days ago watched The Pelican Brief (from 1993 I think). Loved it. It's a thriller/mystery with that '90's vibe.      

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

That or you could watch the Swedish movies, but it's not the same. 

Actually, if I like the movie enough I'll read the 3 first books.  Been wanting to read a bit more here and there when I can as well.

19 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

How is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?

Its really good.

And you could watch the David Fincher version, its perfect solid and it could be a decent standalone movie.

But Noomi Rapace and Michael Nyvquist are already somewhat well-known actors in the west that you might as well watch the swedish movies first.

The swedish version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is absolutely excellent. I think the second and third movies were actually cable movies, but so what, at that point you are completely on-board with finding out more about the life of Lisbeth Salander.

Edited by jehurey
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Its really good.

And you could watch the David Fincher version, its perfect solid and it could be a decent standalone movie.

But Noomi Rapace and Michael Nyvquist are already somewhat well-known actors in the west that you might as well watch the swedish movies first.

The swedish version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is absolutely excellent. I think the second and third movies were actually cable movies, but so what, at that point you are completely on-board with finding out more about the life of Lisbeth Salander.

I'm not opposed to that idea either.  I really never considered watching the Swedish version of the first movie.  If the other two are just as good then I'd probably just do that.

But at the same time I kind of like the idea of watching the David Fincher version of the first movie and then reading the books after if I like it.

I guess my question is.. assuming I was going to just watch the first movie and then read the books if I'm interested, which version would you pick?

2 hours ago, lynux3 said:

Mystic River

it's been years since i watch that one but I remember how i couldn't get over how stupid his wife acted after

Spoiler

they found the corpse and she thought he really killed that girl.(even tho he didn't really know what happened or if he did anything at all and a girl wasn't even mentioned by him)

I remember that scene where she falls into the arms of his friend (the father of the dead girl) crying and saying shit like he probably did it. what a dumb bitch. 

i forgot to say tim robbins owned in that movie

Edited by kaz

Definitely watch the Swedish versions if you're gonna see Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Other recommendations of the top of my head in similar genres:

- Gone Girl

- Prisoners

- The Prestige

- Nightcrawler

Foreign Movies:

- Oldboy

- The Handmaiden

- Mother (Korean movie, not Mother!)

- The Skin I Live In

- Funny Games

• Like 2
Just now, madmaltese said:

Definitely watch the Swedish versions if you're gonna see Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Other recommendations of the top of my head in similar genres:

- Gone Girl

- Prisoners

- The Prestige

- Nightcrawler

Foreign Movies:

- Oldboy

- The Handmaiden

- Mother (Korean movie, not Mother!)

- The Skin I Live In

- Funny Games

Great movies. But I liked the US version of Funny Games more. 

Add I Saw The Devil to your list. 

Office Space

Clear & Present Danger

MIB 1

Blues Brothers

Boyz 'n the Hood

Master & Commander

Baby Driver

--------------------------------------------

If you've got 3.5-4 hours :killzone:

Thin Red Line

Apocalypse Now: Redux (about 1 hour worth of add'l content)

Just now, -GD- said:

Great movies. But I liked the US version of Funny Games more. 

Add I Saw The Devil to your list. 

Yeah that's a fair call. They are legit near scene for scene and I saw the US version very soon after the original so it didn't resonate as much. It definitely is a superb remake though. 

Oh yeah, I saw the Devil is brilliant too!

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, kaz said:

I rewatched Akira a few days ago :glad: 

Ãhnliches Foto

(only know the jap dub but I heard the english dub is fine)

I saw it and didn't understand why people liked it so much. 

Can you explain? shit's confusing. I don't think I even remember the plot. :D 

3 minutes ago, -GD- said:

Some of the best sound design in a movie 

the whole movie is great, but this part is chilling af, especially when you know what’s going on. 

this scene is a direct plagiarization of Alien. :D sad what movies have come to :shake: 

1 hour ago, kaz said:

I rewatched Akira a few days ago :glad: 

Ãhnliches Foto

(only know the jap dub but I heard the english dub is fine)

English dub is actually excellent.  However, I think Akira is kind of overrated.  In my opinion the story gets way too convoluted and is never really satisfactorily resolved.