Guys, give me some awesome movies to watch

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mystic River

Definitely watch the Swedish versions if you're gonna see Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.   Other recommendations of the top of my head in similar genres:   - Gone Girl - Prisone

Just two days ago watched The Pelican Brief (from 1993 I think). Loved it. It's a thriller/mystery with that '90's vibe.      

41 minutes ago, SheepKilla said:

this scene is a direct plagiarization of Alien. :D sad what movies have come to :shake: 

No it’s not  :D both movies have completely different premises, and that’s not even an “alien”...that bear is a result of one of the most fascinating concepts in sci-fi horror. Maybe you should actually watch it before commenting on it. 

Edited by -GD-

Calling Annihilation a plagiarism of anything else is really something lol 

It's probably the most unique take on sci fi horror that any movie has done in the last decade, if not 2. 

That does make it a very hit or miss movie (I loved it) but it definitely isn't ripping off anything. 

• Like 1
Just now, madmaltese said:

Calling Annihilation a plagiarism of anything else is really something lol 

It's probably the most unique take on sci fi horror that any movie has done in the last decade, if not 2. 

That does make it a very hit or miss movie (I loved it) but it definitely isn't ripping off anything. 

Exactly. Ignorant af :D 

Just now, Ike said:

Oh and if you haven’t watch John Carpenter’s The Thing. Probably the most timeless horror/suspense movie ever made. 

One of my favorite movies, and to be honest I thought the prequel that came out in 2011 was excellently done and felt exactly the same. 

3 hours ago, Remij_ said:

I'm not opposed to that idea either.  I really never considered watching the Swedish version of the first movie.  If the other two are just as good then I'd probably just do that.

But at the same time I kind of like the idea of watching the David Fincher version of the first movie and then reading the books after if I like it.

I guess my question is.. assuming I was going to just watch the first movie and then read the books if I'm interested, which version would you pick?

The core aspect of the story are damn near the same, its an investigation into a potential 40 year old murder, so the plot twist play out exactly the same way.

The swedish version probably sticks really close to the books because things happen to the characters that are left unresolved.

The David Fincher version doesn't go that far, it just has an ending point that is somewhat reasonable, but its not very satisfying.

The swedish version make it clear at the end that there's a very dark backstory involving Lisbeth Salander.

9 hours ago, SheepKilla said:

I saw it and didn't understand why people liked it so much. 

Can you explain? shit's confusing. I don't think I even remember the plot. :D 

the story is about a biker gang, with a clear hierarchy. the guy that gets into an accident with a test subject and ends up having his psychic powers awakened is (kind of) the best friend of the leader of the biker gang.

they know each other since they were kids(like brothers), they end up fighting each other bc the power guy always felt second place and hates him for always saving him.

The story seems bland but its filled with metaphors and a dark underlying tone about what makes people justify their actions. 

The movie is a masterpiece :-*  

9 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Guys he's talking about this scene from Alien 3, not that it's a rip off as a film...

Creature gets close to a victim’s face. Oh my teh rip offs :cry: 

Annihilation did the “ripped off” scene significantly better anyhow. Alien 3 sucked balls. 

Edited by -GD-
3 hours ago, kaz said:

the story is about a biker gang, with a clear hierarchy. the guy that gets into an accident with a test subject and ends up having his psychic powers awakened is (kind of) the best friend of the leader of the biker gang.

they know each other since they were kids(like brothers), they end up fighting each other bc the power guy always felt second place and hates him for always saving him.

The story seems bland but its filled with metaphors and a dark underlying tone about what makes people justify their actions. 

The movie is a masterpiece :-*  

That sounds cool. 

Might watch it again some day. 

On 2019-07-11 at 2:16 PM, SheepKilla said:

I saw it and didn't understand why people liked it so much. 

Can you explain? shit's confusing. I don't think I even remember the plot. :D 

It’s not that good. In fact they pretty much butchered the manga story so it is confusing as fuck

But it was revolutionary in animation, both in quality and being a more mature themed animation. The setting is also bad ass

How about recommending a movie that is really well made, but doesn't have a "heavy" subject or require the viewer to invest themselves in sequels.

Like a really good stand-alone movie.

Did you see the Steve Jobs movie with Michael Fassbender? Holy shit. Its like an action-thriller, except they accomplish it with nothing but scenes of people walking and talking. Aaron Sorkin's writing and Danny Boyle's energetic direction.