I miss the Silent Hill experience

The serie definitely left a void that no other titles were able to fill imo.

The mysterious and demented atmosphere and amazing soundtrack that accompanied the titles were one of a kind.

Comparisons with Resident Evil or the rivalry was always stupid since they offered very different experiences.

Gameplay was junk but it worked for what it offered and was a typical console experience. lmao vacuuming ghosts.

Fuck :feelsbadman:

• Upvote 1

i doubt we will see another game like silent hill 2 and I'm not sad about it. 

it's my go to game when people start talking about how video games are for kids or mindless action shooter. 

It should be taught in schools to be honest.

the amount of metaphors and subtle "signs" in the music throughout the game explaining what james goes through. 

But to be honest you will find out about so many details you don't understand in your first play through. I like reading peoples interpretation. 

And when you reach the end everything comes together. When james realizes what he'd done is such a strong moment. When he leaves the room and stands in the long hallway and this music starts playing:

Not to mention the plots about the other characters (angela and the abstract daddy boss , eddie going nuts). 

Game is very different, 1-3 are all great but silent hill 2 is such a good game because it's a finished story in one game unlike the continuation from 1 and 3.

my favourite part was 

Spoiler

how he hated himself for having sexual desires and fantasies about the nurses while his wife was dying. there is nothing more human than that. and of course how they turned to monsters for him. the silent hill movie( while being pretty good for a video game movie) doesn't explain this at all and it doesn't belong to the story, just like pyramid head.

Edited by kaz
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

ALSO i think it's hilarious to think that the american versions starting with homecoming are even considered silent hill games.

I played homecoming and the story was actually not bad at all but they missed the gameplay aspect and atmosphere which made these games survival horror. 

Running away from monsters was never necessary because they turned it into action games. :tom: 

it cracked me up walking around like jack nicholsin in the shining with an axe and murdering monsters left and right. :tom: :trash:

I also liked 2 the best, SH1 felt too ghetto being on the PS1 and don't remember too much of it.

3 was great but 2's story was more up my alley, the sense of dread was more present too (visually more in 3)

It's cool how it's all filled with symbolism and messages you don't immediately get but then it all comes together as you get to the ending

Edited by bhytre
4 hours ago, SheepKilla said:

is the silent hill stuff worth watching on youtube as a movie? 

Well, the short answer is: yes. 

But I could write an entire book about why you should play the game yourself. The games are not really hard (except for the riddle difficulty in SH3, you can choose easy, medium or hard riddles).

They can and will scare you and make your heart beat faster at some point even though the graphics are outdated or the gameplay is wonky. 

This track legit killed me when I was a kid. I remember one time I played alone at night, turned the game right off after and couldn't sleep :laff: 

8 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Just play them again, I'm sure it's been long enough for you to recap. 

Nah I've honestly played them to death just like with REmake, feels more like a speedrun when I replay them now I know them by heart 

• Sad 1

It's sad how far Konami has fallen. They used to be right up there with Capcom as one of the best Japanese third party developers in the game. Now all they make is fucking PES and Plachinko machines. :shake:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Ike said:

It's sad how far Konami has fallen. They used to be right up there with Capcom as one of the best Japanese third party developers in the game. Now all they make is fucking PES and Plachinko machines. :shake:

they got Xbox'd  :scust:

Here's a wild theory I was just told about. Silent hill has a crazy amount of references to Kindergarten Cop... :|

I FF'd to 12:45 when they talk about them.