Building a new pc - recommend components itt

My budget is around $1000. I was gonna hold off for a bit but I started my new job and they’re making me use everything through my personal PC and I hate mixing work with my personal stuff. So I’m gonna use my current pc for work and this new one for everything else.

17 minutes ago, bhytre said:

Just wait :mj:

just wait for scorpio everything will be fine. it will be okay. we will have graphics and games. just wait :cry:

I mean if you're going to spend the money on a laptop anyway you might as well just build a PC now. The only thing I'd wait for is for the Ryzen 2 issues to get sorted out on the B450 boards since if you get unlucky you'll have a system that won't boot half the time.

While gaming laptops have certainly improved over the years; the components are better, dual hard drives are a godsend. But they're only really worth it if you have a specific need for it. If you need a new desktop, and want one, get one. 

I knew I needed a new laptop, and that I wouldn't be in one place long enough, nor did I want to ship a Desktop and peripherals around the country for a the better part of a year. However, I still wanted something to play games with when I touched down in the next city.

My laptop won't run Cyberpunk2077, but it runs the Total War games that I play, and can handle things like DOOM, Farcry 5, and CoD Black Ops. 

But that laptop you posted (MX150, 8 GB Ram, 256GB SSD) isn't enough to have you enjoy those games at any respectable level. Especially the low level of ram for today's standards (I mean WIndows 10 takes up 2GB right there) and with game sizes today, a 256GB SSD (w/ 60GB+ gone for the OS) that leaves you in some cases with 2-3 game you can have installed.

1 hour ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

While gaming laptops have certainly improved over the years; the components are better, dual hard drives are a godsend. But they're only really worth it if you have a specific need for it. If you need a new desktop, and want one, get one. 

I knew I needed a new laptop, and that I wouldn't be in one place long enough, nor did I want to ship a Desktop and peripherals around the country for a the better part of a year. However, I still wanted something to play games with when I touched down in the next city.

My laptop won't run Cyberpunk2077, but it runs the Total War games that I play, and can handle things like DOOM, Farcry 5, and CoD Black Ops. 

But that laptop you posted (MX150, 8 GB Ram, 256GB SSD) isn't enough to have you enjoy those games at any respectable level. Especially the low level of ram for today's standards (I mean WIndows 10 takes up 2GB right there) and with game sizes today, a 256GB SSD (w/ 60GB+ gone for the OS) that leaves you in some cases with 2-3 game you can have installed.

I’m not planning on using the laptop for games. It’s just for work. I decided to go with something mobile so that I don’t have to be stuck in my home office while working.