KyoAni arson attack - 33 people at renowned anime studio torched alive by nutjob in Kyoto, Japan

Worst attack in Japan since WW2 according to the news :wow: 

Arson is suspected in a deadly fire at Kyoto Animation Co. (aka KyoAni), which killed at least 33 people and injured dozens more this morning in Japan. The suspect is in custody.

The Asahi Shimbun reported that the suspect, a 41-year-old man, entered the building screaming, “Die!” and doused the floor in a flammable liquid, which he ignited. The newspaper also reported a woman said the man screamed, “They ripped me off!”

The suspect attempted to flee but was captured by Kyoto Animation employees who were doing the same. He collapsed on a sidewalk and was taken into custody, then to a hospital. The New York Times reported that the Kyoto City Fire Department confirmed 33 deaths and 36 injuries; The Asahi Shimbun said 17 remain hospitalized. The Japan Times said police confirmed it was the highest death toll in an arson in the past 30 years.

Kyoto Animation was founded in 1981 and is well known for popular adaptations of manga and visual novels such as Clannad, K-On!, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and the Full Metal Panic series. Kotaku reported this morning that an announcement about the studio’s next project, a feature film in its series of Free! adaptations, has been postponed.

The New York Times reported harrowing scenes of burned victims and people trying to escape through broken windows. Hideaki Hatta, Kyoto Animation’s president and co-founder, spoke to media in front of the burned building later in the day. “This has just broken our hearts,” he said, according to The Japan Times. “What’s the use of resorting to violence?”

The suspect’s motive is so far unknown. The Japan Times notes that arson resulting in death can carry a death sentence in Japan, where a man is currently on death row for a 2008 fire in an Osaka video store that killed 16.

Sentai Filmworks, a U.S.-based anime licensing company, quickly started a crowdfunding campaign to aid victims of the fire, with more than $500,000 raised from 15,215 donors in eight hours. “We’ve known KyoAni through their many works that have inspired, influenced and entertained us over the years,” John Ledford, president of the company, said in a statement on the GoFundMe page. “They are true masters of their art and one of Japan’s national treasures.”

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was among the many expressing sympathy and shock on social media. “So many people were killed or injured,” he wrote (in a translation by The Japan Times). “It’s so appalling I can’t find a word to say.”

https://www.polygon.com/2019/7/18/20699268/kyoto-animation-fire-arson

kyoto-animation-arson-fire-33-dead-dozen

pic_1563473550.jpg

jesus christ

Edited by Bodycount N
  • Sad 1

I find it odd that the Japanese aren't the type of people to update their regulations when it comes to designing buildings and fire code.

I understand that its relatively peaceful over there, but things like that building not having a fire escape, no sprinklers, they couldn't find their way to the exit that leads to the roof, and was somehow inaccessible for them. They just keep things the way the are even though regulations from all over the world keep advancing.

They usually don't update regulations until something horrible like this happens.

“What’s the use of resorting to violence?”

that's sad man :( but gladly they made only the shitty animes :( 

2 hours ago, Bodycount N said:

some overworked cartoonist driven to madness i assume. 

Jesus, they weren't lying when they said the working conditions were brutal in anime.

https://www.newsweek.com/kyoto-fire-animation-arson-japan-1450197

Sounds like one of those schizos that think people are ripping them off. I know one girl (diagnosed schizo) who told me her life story and how Pixar or Disney ripped her off with one of those movies because the girl in it  kinda looked like her :|

On 2019-07-19 at 10:55 AM, jehurey said:

I find it odd that the Japanese aren't the type of people to update their regulations when it comes to designing buildings and fire code.

I understand that its relatively peaceful over there, but things like that building not having a fire escape, no sprinklers, they couldn't find their way to the exit that leads to the roof, and was somehow inaccessible for them. They just keep things the way the are even though regulations from all over the world keep advancing.

They usually don't update regulations until something horrible like this happens.

Sounds, financially responsible. I think it's sad for the culture. They really are the last bane of peace and harmonious spirit left on earth.  Be a real damn shame when and if the modern norm becomes crazed selfish shitty racist pitted against each other + minorities will just steal yo shit America. Because, well the world is rich enough for anyone to try crime and you can't stop me.

Japan truly truly truly has all the rich means, but ppl don't do shit.  Partly because their prison and court system isn't in cahoots to be for hundreds of billions of dollars of circulating profit and they don't want a quarter of the population in the system some way paying crooks (I mean the politicians, judges, clerks, clerics, and involved president), not the maligned victims.  In japoot, prison is for bad people. Not the oppressed your own government crafted lol.

America is such a cunt and shit show. I hope Japan keeps their peace.  Sadly stories like this going on TV only hypnotizes more lunes till it can become a norm.  I think Japan is left-field enough of a law and culture, they should become the first state not to put this shit on TV at all. Outlaw it. Talk about it 5 months later in a paper shinbun or weak ad.  Lunatics do wanna get famous.

• Upvote 1