How much better this gen would have been if devs didn't go lazy

1 hour ago, The Mother Fucker said:

Post game titles that should have got released.

or Released titles you think could have been better than what they did.

Mass Effect Adromeda

Saints Row V

Lost Odyssey II (2013), Lost Odyssey III (2018)

Yyeah. 

Wasn't there a story about how one of the main guys at Rockstar said that the cutscenes in RDR2 should be in cinematic widescreen with black bars rather than traditional 16:9.

And apparently that caused an additional year of development work because it changes alot of things.

And you get the sense that al of this graphics tech, all of these particle effects, texturing effects, lighting effects, reflection effects, hair and skin effects.............ALL of this shit..........is serving nothing more than just gaming developers spending an awful amount of time trying to make movies in the most inefficient way possible.

Video games aren't supposed to be like this.

4 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Wasn't there a story about how one of the main guys at Rockstar said that the cutscenes in RDR2 should be in cinematic widescreen with black bars rather than traditional 16:9.

And apparently that caused an additional year of development work because it changes alot of things.

And you get the sense that al of this graphics tech, all of these particle effects, texturing effects, lighting effects, reflection effects, hair and skin effects.............ALL of this shit..........is serving nothing more than just gaming developers spending an awful amount of time trying to make movies in the most inefficient way possible.

Video games aren't supposed to be like this.

I would die for the art. I'm down for that shit. Still ain't touched rd2 though. Tek tek tek. 

4 hours ago, The Mother Fucker said:

Post game titles that should have got released.

or Released titles you think could have been better than what they did.

Mass Effect Adromeda

Saints Row V

Lost Odyssey II (2013), Lost Odyssey III (2018)

foooo sho

Meh. This gen is absolutely stellar already and there's way more games than I have time to play...took a while to hit its stride but otherwise....

Bloodborne

Sekiro

Doom

Tetris Effect

Witcher 3

Monster Hunter World

Dark Souls 3

Red Dead 

Persona 5

Undertale

Nier Automata

Nioh

Resident Evil 7

Resident Evil 2

DMC5

Horizon

God of War

Celeste

Hollow Knight 

Breath of the Wild

XCOM 2

Mario Odyssey

Splatoon 2

Dead Cells

Divinity 

Crypt of the Necrodancer

Cadence of Hyrule

Mario Maker 2

Golf Story

Steamworld Dig

Rocket League

Resogun

Yakuza 0

Into the Breach

Mario + Rabbids

Baba is You

+ Tons of great remakes/remasters

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, Casual said:

Meh. This gen is absolutely stellar already and there's way more games than I have time to play...took a while to hit its stride but otherwise....

Bloodborne

Sekiro

Doom

Tetris Effect

Witcher 3

Monster Hunter World

Dark Souls 3

Red Dead 

Persona 5

Undertale

Nier Automata

Nioh

Resident Evil 7

Resident Evil 2

DMC5

Horizon

God of War

Celeste

Hollow Knight 

Breath of the Wild

XCOM 2

Mario Odyssey

Splatoon 2

Dead Cells

Divinity 

Crypt of the Necrodancer

Cadence of Hyrule

Mario Maker 2

Golf Story

Steamworld Dig

Rocket League

Resogun

Yakuza 0

Into the Breach

Mario + Rabbids

Baba is You

i agree. lots of amazing gems. i wish mass effect andromeda was better, but it happens. 

I don't think it's laziness; by all accounts with the requirements for games nowadays, and quarterly targets it has forced many developers into insane cycles. DICE having to make a battlefield/Battlefront game every 12-14 mos.; Rockstar making Developers work 80+ hours a week. Bethesda trying to produce three games simultaneously.

The fact that were seeing the market accommodate indie games, made by relatively small developers who can take their time, polish the game, provide regular updates and not meet shareholders expectations is the proof that these AAA developers have really fucked over their fans, their employees, and the industry in general.

And LMFAO, at the guy who said 'best gen since PS2'. No doubt some fantastic games have been produced this generation. RDR2, Sekiro, Most of Nintendo's lineup, God of War, Spiderman, NioH, Hellblade, Total War Warhammer 1 & 2, Hollowblade, Dragons Quest 11, RE2,  and the list goes on (no seriously, don't get bent out of shape because I didn't include your favourite title) because there's also a downside; a massive downside.

Rushed titles from marquee developers who make marquee titles, Virtue signalling present in games that never really needed it, nor any explanation in the canon to justify it. And THE worst thing about this generation, the fucking DLC, season passes, GaaS and loot boxes.

EA, Ubisoft, Rockstar, Activision - they're all guilty of it; and it has real life implications. People with gambling addictions ruining their lives, kids dropping hundreds or thousands on outfits and throwing tantrums or feeling left out or inferior because they can't get the latest Fortnite season gear; the fact that if you want to play NBA2K you need to spend minimum of $40 in virtual credit to play online. Games as a service, 

So no, I reject in its totality your thesis that gaming developers have turned lazy (well maybe Gaben and Vavle B)) and instead would argue that they've never been so preoccupied with everything that surrounds gaming, but isn't really about gaming, and that has taken its toll.

21 hours ago, Casual said:

Bloodborne

Sekiro

Doom

Tetris Effect

Witcher 3

Monster Hunter World

Dark Souls 3

Red Dead 

Persona 5

Undertale

Nier Automata

Nioh

Resident Evil 7

Resident Evil 2

DMC5

Horizon

God of War

Celeste

Hollow Knight 

Breath of the Wild

XCOM 2

Mario Odyssey

Splatoon 2

Dead Cells

Divinity 

Crypt of the Necrodancer

Cadence of Hyrule

Mario Maker 2

Golf Story

Steamworld Dig

Rocket League

Resogun

Yakuza 0

Into the Breach

Mario + Rabbids

Baba is You

Also, these games.

1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

Nier is now the premiere franchise from S-E. Better than FF, DQ and KH.

Team Nier ALWAYS WINS.

shadowbringers is better than nier

The PS360 gen is easily the worst gen I have experienced in my gaming life.

PC was a dumpster fire. PS3 sucked ass for 3 years. Wii was a nightmare. 360 turned to shit and all games had shitty tacked on MP. It was all grey and brown cover shooters and shit.

Some gems like Nier, Demon Souls etc happened. But the gen sucked ass overall.

This gen owns, you're just stuck to bad franchises like MK and Ass Effect.

Bloodborne

Metal Gear Solid V

Witcher 3

Yakuza 0

Persona 5

DOOM 2016

Resident Evil 7

REmake 2

DMCV

Nioh

NieR: Automata

Street Fighter V

Dragon Quest XI

Ace Combat 7

And it ain't over yet. Cyberpunk, FF7 Remake, DOOM Eternal, Death Stranding...

There's been some disappointment but it's fine, games such as:

Final Fantasy 15

Sekiro

11 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

The PS360 gen is easily the worst gen I have experienced in my gaming life.

PC was a dumpster fire. PS3 sucked ass for 3 years. Wii was a nightmare. 360 turned to shit and all games had shitty tacked on MP. It was all grey and brown cover shooters and shit.

Some gems like Nier, Demon Souls etc happened. But the gen sucked ass overall.

It was fine, it's just the mainstream western trash that got worse during that gen. Too many me too games. 

Looking back there were more mid budget games that were worth checking out than this gen. A lot of Japanese gems. Now though? Not so much outside of the usual big names.