How much better this gen would have been if devs didn't go lazy

13 minutes ago, Ramza said:

It was fine, it's just the mainstream western trash that got worse during that gen. Too many me too games. 

Looking back there were more mid budget games that were worth checking out than this gen. A lot of Japanese gems. Now though? Not so much outside of the usual big names.

Japan started making fucking Gears clones. RE5 after RE4 coop trash. MGS4 was weaker than 2 and 3 imo. Worst FF entries of any gen. It was shit.

6 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Japan started making fucking Gears clones. RE5 after RE4 coop trash. MGS4 was weaker than 2 and 3 imo. Worst FF entries of any gen. It was shit.

From Software emergence: Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, Street Fighter IV/Marvel vs Capcom 3, Platinum Games emergence: Bayonetta, Vanquish, SEGA: Yakuza series/Binary Domain/Valkyria Chronicles, Grasshopper mid budget games: No More Heroes, Lollipop Chainsaw, Shadows of the Damned, Killer is Dead, X360 early days exclusives: Dead Rising, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Ace Combat 6, Dead or Alive 4, Ninja Gaiden 2, etc.

I was playing a lot more Japanese games than this gen. Sure MGSIV might have been disappointing, and FF13 being the worst in the series, or NGII not living up to it's predecessor. But there were still a lot of games worth getting excited over.

Now it's always the same. No surprises coming out of nowhere. Just the same predictable stuff, I mean it's great and all but there's a lack of AA games and weird risk taking games that Japanese games usually covered. About the only games I discovered this gen are Vita leftovers like Danganronpa.

Hmm, I think I'm gonna collect me some PS3 niche games. Could be fun.

On 2019-07-23 at 6:10 AM, Teh_Diplomat said:

And LMFAO, at the guy who said 'best gen since PS2'. No doubt some fantastic games have been produced this generation. RDR2, Sekiro, Most of Nintendo's lineup, God of War, Spiderman, NioH, Hellblade, Total War Warhammer 1 & 2, Hollowblade, Dragons Quest 11, RE2,  and the list goes on (no seriously, don't get bent out of shape because I didn't include your favourite title) because there's also a downside; a massive downside.

Rushed titles from marquee developers who make marquee titles, Virtue signalling present in games that never really needed it, nor any explanation in the canon to justify it. And THE worst thing about this generation, the fucking DLC, season passes, GaaS and loot boxes.

EA, Ubisoft, Rockstar, Activision - they're all guilty of it; and it has real life implications. People with gambling addictions ruining their lives, kids dropping hundreds or thousands on outfits and throwing tantrums or feeling left out or inferior because they can't get the latest Fortnite season gear; the fact that if you want to play NBA2K you need to spend minimum of $40 in virtual credit to play online. Games as a service, 

I don't really give af about western AAA anymore. Japan is on a tear right now. so this gen >>>> last gen in my books. Nintendo x Capcom x From Software :love:

Edited by Guest
41 minutes ago, モンキー said:

I don't really give af about western AAA anymore. Japan is on a tear right now. so this gen >>>> last gen in my books. Nintendo x Capcom x From Software :love:

It's all good man, I just can't let all this garbage that has exploded this generation get a free pass just because I'm still having a blast gaming.

:-* 

10 hours ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

It's all good man, I just can't let all this garbage that has exploded this generation get a free pass just because I'm still having a blast gaming.

:-* 

Oh yeah, it’s super disappointing. Last gen I wanted to work in the games industry. Now I’m kinda glad I don’t.