So who plays or has played a good amount of FFXIV?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TL;DR: Don't bother if you don't enjoy MMORPGs. I only played the base story so far. Wall of text sorry but I LOVE this game. best game ever made   (after godcher 3  )        

I heard that there were like 8 hours worth of cutscenes which is one of the things that appealed to me, but it sounds like the majority of those are just static screens with text box conversations? Th

TL;DR: Don't bother if you don't enjoy MMORPGs. I only played the base story so far. Wall of text sorry but I LOVE this game. best game ever made :bow:  (after godcher 3 :bow::bow: )

I tried it once in 2016 didn't like it because I couldn't turn off the normal battle music.

A month ago I started playing again (you can turn it off now) and I love it. about 100h played. 

I just did the last quests of the main story in a realm reborn (which is basically the 2013 re-released content) but after that there are another 100 story quests that got patched in later.

(before I can start the first expansion Heavensword - and then Stormblood and after that the latest Shadowbringers which my guildmates won't stop talking about. it's the holy grail or something idk :D )

I'd say if you don't like MMORPGs AT ALL don't even bother because you will have to do some fetch quests, dungeons etc. during the story.

The story so far was actually quite enjoyable, nothing special but waaaaay better for MMO standards. For example when I played WoW there is nothing of importance.

But FF14 grabs you by the hand and shows you exactly where you have to go in the world to advance in the story. It does the same thing for any job quests (classes). 

AND the job quests (you get like a series of quests for each levels starting at 1, then 5, 10, 15, 20 30 50 and so on) are actually really cool, they are little stories and not just do this and now you know how to use your spell.

The other thing is: people say it's hard to get into the game but it is not true at all. It's the easiest, most beginner friendly MMORPG i've ever played.  

You can just follow the MSQ and level up by that, you don't have to bother with side quests. 

To sum it up: the story in base game is cool and Final Fantasy-ish but nothing like a main game FF.

Playing it only for the story you will be disappointed because then you will do like

-5 dungeons,

-a handful of fetch quests,

-mostly read text bubbles ( with a lot of boring shit )

-also some stupid humour (biggs is some big guy and wedge is some smally midget in this game, they are both engineers and some moments with them are really fun).

-some cool *cutscene* moments, basically just text bubbles again but this time with voice acting. (the quality is kind of a rollercoaster :mjcry: )

the last story dungeon tho is the worst thing that ever happened to video games and every player agrees on that and even square acknowledged that and didn't do it again ( as far as im aware of)

Because it's a 8 man dungeon and you will fight the main villains. that means you watch minute long cutscenes and every other party member is waiting for you after that everyone rushes through. 

The atmosphere was awful it ruined the presentation for me.

Also, the music is absolutely amazing for example

Bonus: a picture of an odder otter. a friend gave me one and he's the cutest shit, he usually hides under the leaf he holds and sometimes pops his head out and looks around. 

Spoiler

Image result for ff14 odder otter

• Like 1

also the archer class ends up being the bard job and special skill I have is performance:

I can play like 20 different instruments from piano, fiddle to drums and bongos etc. 

people don't like scripter and macros I get accused of using a macro sometimes when I play FF tunes or from other games because I make mistakes because I never actually played these tracks :D 

I met some people, we have this one place in a big city where we sit on a bench and play tunes. 

I’ve heard nothing but great things. My buddy who played it said their most recent expansion is one the best narratives from Square in a long time. My girlfriend also has been playing it enjoys it. 

37 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

@kaz any thoughts on the lancer class? i think i might start with that one.

It's alright you will become a Dragoon which is really cool. It focuses on the different jump-techniques you have in the FF games. 

and yea you can play until lvl 35 free and also you get 15 days bonus if you play on a recommended server/data center. You also get a 100% exp buff until you are level 70 and leveling is fast, actually a bit too fast for me.

But you synch your level to most content anyway so it's no problem. 

The starting class is also the starting area. I started with archer but it's the same area as lancer (New Gridania) it's a forest area, the others are desert and hmm idk some plain landscape but it has a "floaty town" with bridges etc. lol 

Yeah I started in Gridania. The intro cutscene was very cool, looking forward to playing more. 

I also chose the default data center (the first one?) not sure how much difference that would make but im assuming its the most popular one.

Edited by Twinblade
47 minutes ago, kokujin said:

Ughk. Long critique. Where is your life. :-*

it's gone since i started playing this game :mjcry: 

The community is really cool. Only friendly people that I met so far, understanding and ready to help however they can.

Like I said there is this one location in a city were hundreds of people are around. It's like the main teleport area for the city and people come and go like a train station.

And we sit there on our bench and play tunes in turn and sometimes people come and spam clap/cheer emotes and shit :glad: 

I don't know these people just ingame and we don't actually like schedule a meet up even tho we are on each others friend list etc but whenever we feel like it we go there and hope the others are playing :mjcry: 

and then i go back to the game and get yelled at by my friends or guild mates :mjcry:  

The game owns.

12 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah I started in Gridania. The intro cutscene was very cool, looking forward to playing more. 

I also chose the default data center (the first one?) not sure how much difference that would make but im assuming its the most popular one.

i have no idea but there are server that get recommended and you get 15 days and the exp bonus until lvl 70 for playing on them.

9 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I heard that there were like 8 hours worth of cutscenes which is one of the things that appealed to me, but it sounds like the majority of those are just static screens with text box conversations? Thats a bit disappointing.

Yeah. Key story points are all voiced and animated while everything else is just text boxes. There's just too much story more so than any normal ff for it to all be animated and voiced