So who plays or has played a good amount of FFXIV?

17 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

It's awesome but don't take it seriously as an MMO for PVP or end game. Waste of time.

Lol what? PvP I'll give it to you but FF has a great endgame. Have you actually done any of Savage or entered either of the Ultimates?

If you're on Aether and need help w/ anything let me know.

Edited by soup
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TL;DR: Don't bother if you don't enjoy MMORPGs. I only played the base story so far. Wall of text sorry but I LOVE this game. best game ever made   (after godcher 3  )        

I heard that there were like 8 hours worth of cutscenes which is one of the things that appealed to me, but it sounds like the majority of those are just static screens with text box conversations? Th

It is and that won't change. I love XIV (6K hours) but it had easily the worst on boarding of any MMO. Early gameplay is bad, quests and story are kinda eh (WAKING SANDS AGAIN?!) But if you stick with it there a light at the end of the tunnel. The game has some fantastic end game encounters that are easily a class above current MMO offerings. 

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Lol i didn't say i hated it yet....but it definitely feels like a traditional mmo.

The story is looong too and you won't be fighting much, most of the time it's go there, read a few bubbles, go somewhere else and read again then go back where you came from (yes, waking sands omg). 

You are running around and use teleport more than anything else in the story. 

Not to mention stuff like when you slayed a mighty primal boss monster and saved thousands and then go back to cook some fish and feed soldiers. :salute:

But what do I know everyone tells me it gets a lot better but the base story drags on way too much (I guess 30-50 hours if you read everything like I did :puke: ). And then they throw 100 quests on top of it. 

ALSO don't get me wrong there are some good moments too but rarely. 

Edited by kaz
2 hours ago, kaz said:

The story is looong too and you won't be fighting much, most of the time it's go there, read a few bubbles, go somewhere else and read again then go back where you came from (yes, waking sands omg). 

You are running around and use teleport more than anything else in the story. 

Not to mention stuff like when you slayed a mighty primal boss monster and saved thousands and then go back to cook some fish and feed soldiers. :salute:

But what do I know everyone tells me it gets a lot better but the base story drags on way too much (I guess 30-50 hours if you read everything like I did :puke: ). And then they throw 100 quests on top of it. 

ALSO don't get me wrong there are some good moments too but rarely. 

Eh i don't think ill mind that too much. It sounds preferable to constant combat encounters.

anyway im about to hit level 10. It sounds like ill be able to pick a secondary class and inherit some of its skills/weapons?

Unlike other MMOs FFXIVs job system is more like FFVs, you can be any job with a single character. At 30? your class "evolves" Lancer > Dragoon, Gladiator > Paladin, and so on.

yeah, it's kinda like FFV but you have no way to optimize your character (only stats from items).

I played a Bard to lvl 60 through the MSQ and then played a White Mage to 50 doing dungeons in a few hours. Your "alt" jobs level up faster.

I'd recommend playing all roles first: Your Lancer will become a Dragoon which is really cool, so go for a tank or healer next. But you can do another DPS if you want. Queue times are faster for other roles.

There are apparently crossskills but not like you mentioned to "inherit skills/weapons". The main weapon defines your job (Bow=Bard, Polearm/Spear=Dragoon, Sword&Shield=Paladin etc.).

I think what you mean is role skills and I'm sure you already have one or more at level 10. 

Your class skills are only for your class and you can't change it in combat or in duty. 

Also make sure you get a chocobo when you reach lvl 15? (or 20, I forgot) look up sites for unlocks. There are MSQ unlocks but there are also side quests unlocks (even for some dungeons).

If you play the MSQ I'm honeslty interested in what you think about the lvl 45-50 8-man dungeons. That shit made me cry :mjcry:

Edited by kaz

I admit im a bit confused. The game seemed to imply that i could do something at other guilds after i've leveled my lancer to lvl10, so i assumed i could do something like pick an archer as a sub class and learn those same skills. Ill finish up the quest line im on and see what happens.

edit: nvm, i see what you guys mean. its just swapping your class.

Edited by Twinblade

Damn, changing classes resets your level and your equipped gear if you have stuff that isn't supported by the class. Definitely not going to bother with this, at least for now.

Are the levelquests and those other ones that start with a H (where you party up and get sent to instanced battles) worth doing?

Edited by Twinblade
5 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Damn, changing classes resets your level and your equipped gear if you have stuff that isn't supported by the class. Definitely not going to bother with this, at least for now.

Are the levelquests and those other ones that start with a H (where you party up and get sent to instanced battles) worth doing?

Changing classes doesn't reset your level and your gear is in your armory chest. You equip the main weapon to switch between classes. You can make item/class profiles and update gear in character panel.

I have no idea what you are talking about. It might help telling what lvl you are. the first dungeon is sastasha and you unlock it at lvl 15 through the MSQ (main scenario quest).

don't bother with side quests for now. just do MSQ and the class quests. 

8 minutes ago, kaz said:

Changing classes doesn't reset your level and your gear is in your armory chest. You equip the main weapon to switch between classes. You can make item/class profiles and update gear in character panel.

I have no idea what you are talking about. It might help telling what lvl you are. the first dungeon is sastasha and you unlock it at lvl 15 through the MSQ (main scenario quest).

don't bother with side quests for now. just do MSQ and the class quests. 

I know, but im not interested in having to make sets and manage my equipment to that degree. I'd rather just focus on my lancer class.

And are you sure about that? I've been doing all of the regular side quests and they're getting me a lot of XP and useful equipment. I am worried about potentially running out of quests and then having to grind before I can proceed with the main questline. I feel like every MMO i've played has segments like that even early on.

Edited by Twinblade
11 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I know, but im not interested in having to make sets and manage my equipment to that degree. I'd rather just focus on my lancer class.

And are you sure about that? I've been doing all of the regular side quests and they're getting me a lot of XP and useful equipment. I am worried about potentially running out of quests and then having to grind before I can proceed with the main questline. I feel like every MMO i've played has segments like that even early on.

Of course you have to manage your equipment it's a complete different class. In other mmos you would make an entirely new toon for that. But everything is there, item management is simple and you don't lose exp or delevel or whatever you meant.

Just stick to Lancer (become a dragoon later) and then afterwards try something else. When I started playing my conjurer I just had to get to lvl 15 to start dungeon runs and few hours later I was 50. Even skipped the job quest at first (white mage).

And yeah, I pretty much overleveld like A LOT with my first class and all I did was MSQ and some dungeon runs. I also got the 100% exp buff from the server and a Free Company buff (from my guild, idk the amount tho but not much).

:shrug: 

Edited by kaz

Just stick to one class, branch out later if you're interested in it. Or wait until you reach the expansions/late game where you can just unlock a class at 60.

Best not try and level 2 classes at once because the higher your main class, the more exp you gain for each other class when leveling up

i don't know how they plan on cutting down 2.0 content. I guess one way would have an instant teleport to minfillias office?

COME TO THE WAKING SANDS

COME TO THE WAKING SANDS

COME TO THE WAKING SANDS.

Fuck that shit