Next-gen PlayStation reportedly going to have GPU clocked at 2GHz.

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I doubt it.  That's higher clocks than the 5700XT... which reaches 110'C junction...  Not saying it's impossible, but they would have to have some massive cooling there and it would be wicked loud.

Or it could just be a boost clock.

3 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

We really need to set expectations lower. Otherwise we're going to be disappointed as fuck.

thats rare coming from you 

5 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

We really need to set expectations lower. Otherwise we're going to be disappointed as fuck.

People will ONLY be disappointed with numbers...  after people see the games, they wont give a shit.  The visuals will be insane.

3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Or it could just be a boost clock.

Consoles don't really work like that afaik.  There's no boosting that they do.  They are set to run at specific frequencies and are designed to be able to run within a specific thermal threshold while at those frequencies. There would be a limit on how high all the consoles could reach, and that would be the high "clock"..  I don't think 2Ghz is realistic.  1.8GHz at most I think.

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Consoles don't really work like that afaik.  There's no boosting that they do.  They are set to run at specific frequencies and are designed to be able to run within a specific thermal threshold while at those frequencies. There would be a limit on how high all the consoles could reach, and that would be the high "clock"..  I don't think 2Ghz is realistic.  1.8GHz at most I think.

Maybe, we'll see eventually. People that uncover this information are calling it a "target clock" and posting a bunch of GPU cooling patents from SIE. Some people didn't even believe 1.8GHz was going to be possible, but it is all the sudden an option now.

I could see the console running at AMD's "game clock" and boosting when necessary in short bursts to handle complex scenes and then return to normal "game clock" speeds. Seems plausible enough.

2 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Maybe, we'll see eventually. People that uncover this information are calling it a "target clock" and posting a bunch of GPU cooling patents from SIE. Some people didn't even believe 1.8GHz was going to be possible, but it is all the sudden an option now.

I could see the console running at AMD's "game clock" and boosting when necessary in short bursts to handle complex scenes and then return to normal "game clock" speeds. Seems plausible enough.

That's definitely possible.

30 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Can you imagine the nightmare of coding a console game around a boost clock lol, it would have to be fixed.

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Can you imagine the nightmare of coding a console game around a boost clock lol, it would have to be fixed.

Yea.  I just don't see it.  I mean, it's possible that they could have a "turbo" clock or something that could be used to maintain a target FPS in short bursts... but even then.. I doubt it.  But the whole benefit about consoles is that you don't have all these variables to take into account when designing something around it.

Hitting 2GHz in a console form factor would be, as Jehurey put it, absolutely scorching... This of course is based off assumptions of their discreet Navi desktop parts.  The 5700XT runs way too hot already and that doesn't hit 2Ghz.  Considering we're talking about an APU and there's also the CPU right there... that wouldn't bode well for throttling issues.  They would need massive cooling, which would be noisy as hell.

I just don't see it.

20 hours ago, Remij_ said:

I doubt it.  That's higher clocks than the 5700XT... which reaches 110'C junction...  Not saying it's impossible, but they would have to have some massive cooling there and it would be wicked loud.

Judging by the POS4 and the POS4 Protato, PS5 will be annoyingly loud too.